OtakuBoards

Computers and other things

Chrono Weapon X

I think it's sad that people are paying lots of money for things that stop working in like a few days. Yes, they can last a long time if you know what to do. But they start messing up once you do something important. I mean.... it's things starting to cause lots of money, and then somethin better comes along.

I'm gonna leave now. I know I'll be yelled at or flamed. (hides in corner :( )

[color=#2F4F4F][size=1]Ouch... Bad grammer, like kryptonite... Painful... Searing my eyes...
*ahem*
What computers are you using that break within a couple days?
And if you live your technological life by the philosophy "There'll always be something better in a month or so." you'll never buy a single computer in all your life.
As for the cost factor, I agree things are getting a tad overpriced, but what do you expect? Inflation is a popular practice.[/size][/color]

They're obviously talking about an eMachine. They don't make computers crapier than that. It took a good month for mine to crash. No reason, either. Just collapsed under its own shotty workmanship.

The best thing you can do when buying electronic equipment (computers included) is find a decent combination of low price and high quality. Don't get the cheapest computer you can find, because those are usually of poor quality. Very poor. I refer you once again to the eMachine.
Super-High-Quality is good, but those'll go far, far beyond any reasonable price range. So like my momma told me: "You better shop around." Just look at as many computers as possible, then decide which is just cheap enough, but still good enough to buy.

[SIZE=1][quote name='Harry']Aren't you a little young to be raging against the machine already?[/quote]

You, my friend, are awesome.

Indeed, it seems you are a bit too young be raging against society in all its splendor but who am I to judge?

Anyways Chrono, I suggest that you get used to it REAL fast since this is the way it's going to be for the rest of your life. Business is business, as they say, and as technology evolves daily and lets people make a buck, then it shall be done. Just sit back, relax, and welcome to the world.

Psssst. KnightOfTheRose. It's grammar, not grammer. No offense meant or anything, but that's how it's spelled. One of the most common spelling errors of all, it always happens to be made with the worst timing. Just for future reference ;)[/SIZE]

Guest lavalamp
omg liek lets be compleetly irelevent an insolt garmmar becuz it smoehow maeks his points any less valbual

And ignore the age comment since it's probably coming from a 14-year-old who thinks the meaning of life consists of creating a name for himself on a message board.

Anyway, it's painful having to keep up with technology but I guess that's life. Then again, there are people still sporting prehistoric machines and you have to to wonder if they're doing it "right."

Guest cloricus
You know if you used BSD your computer would be perfect*.

...As Harry said, bit early to start hating dodgy companies like Microsoft and emachines (which as of a short time ago are now owned by gateway) though really if you want your computer to run nicely just follow some simple steps. I shall list them for you and others reading.

1) Don't install useless CRAP like bonsi buddy, IE mods and other spyware incrusted useless trinkets that are all shiny.
2) Stay away from pr0n sites unless you have a decent browser like mozilla, ffox or opera.
3) Be evil to friends that try and install anything stupid on your computer.
4) Get some anti-virus and firewall software, AND APPLY THE UPDATES.

If you follow those simple rules you should have a fine computer for six months or so, at which point you have not learnt some basics about software maintenance (no I do not mean defragmenting the hard drive, you are an idjit if you defragment every time something bad happens) you should seriously look at buying a Mac. In the case of a mac instead of bugging tech support with useless questions you just pick up the computer, throw it out and go buy a new one. (The joy's of Apple.)

Also it is 'grammar', even I know that, then again the usa tends to spell words wrong? (Touch of colour anyone?)

^^ Can any one else notice I've had a constant stream of computer trouble shooting related questions that really could be answered by a chimp with a type writer from users on OB, enough tonight please...

*Subject to how much of a GOD DAMN NEWBIE YOU ARE!

[COLOR=darkred]Clorious has a number of good points, and but also, its a good idea to defragment often. its gets rid of useless files that were hidding in there, also there is software that is made to get rid of that damn annoying Spyware crap. I suggest you get that too, but don't download it off a site, that usually has some other spyware on it (devious isn't it?) and also downloading is a danger area in the techno age. if your going to download something, make sure where your downloading it from isn't a shady site thats known for causing viruses on people's computers.[/COLOR]

Guest cloricus
[quote name='Mikkaddo][COLOR=darkred']Clorious has a number of good points.[/COLOR][/quote]

AHHHHHHH!!!!

...Defragmenting a hard drive is a method of cleaning up where files are stored for quicker access by the hard drives arm, if everything for a particular type is in the one place it can be found much quicker, while cleaning up the partition tables and making sure that there are no errors a long the way. Windows NT manages partitions much better than the 9x series which means that there is little need to defragment a hard drive, once every six months maybe. It is just an annoying waste of time. (Also note that if you use nearly any other OS other than windows they don't require defragmenting at all since they were built from the ground up to be decent.)

As for spyware cleaners I recommend Adaware by lavasoft and Spybot S&D, and for trojans The Cleaner by m00 soft. As for the rest of Mikkaddo's advice, don't download any files ending in .exe unless you know you can trust them and remember to VIRUS SCAN THEM WITH YOUR OFTEN UPDATED DEFINITIONS so that you don't get an infection, though please note if you are an internet explorer user there are so many exploits in it that you will end up with viruses and trojans no matter what you do. (Switch to something decent.)

[color=#0099ff]Hey, no computer bashing! ;) I got my first computer in 2000 and I was a total newbie about them. It was just a regular computer running on Windows 98 plus (and still is, and rather well might I add) and I still use it everyday. It's very trusty and runs pretty fast considering it's outdated. I've never received a virus nor have it crash on me. In a matter of a year, I got really good with computers and I've only become better with them. I love my computer-poo. :D[/color]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=Indigo]Heh. Computers are the worst, most malfunctioning, energy draing piece of useful metal and plastic the human race has spawned. And I'll go with Rikku. I got my computer in 2000 and, apart from some dodgy upgrades me and a friend did and the horrendous mistake we made on the partition table (since when did I have 904 gig??) everything is smooth sailing. most people only run into problems when they install **** without knowing what it is, or when they are reinstall an OS.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]I got my computer a few years ago, and it runs on the evil Windows ME. It has a revolting, curved, giant moniter and whirrs incessently. We can thank my father's knowing nothing about computers for this. _ _

As much as I would love a better (quieter) computer, this one runs (relatively) great. It actually *needs* to be defragmented, however...*sigh*

Maybe Cloricus will be proud of me for having both Adaware and Mozilla (though I stay away from "pr0n" sites, anyway...).

Despite its flaws and crappy operating system, I love it [the computer] so. I even gave it a name: Antoinne Waldo Riccardo IV.

^_^[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]As much as I would love a better (quieter) computer, this one runs (relatively) great. It actually *needs* to be defragmented, however...*sigh*[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[color=#0099ff]Consider getting Norton System Works. You can defragment your computer easily. :)

I have a 550 MHz processor with 248 MB of memory, with 9.5 GB on my hard disks.

Lookie at the attatchment.[/color]

[color=gray]Oh wow, rikku is still alive o.O;;

Anyways. Really the worst thing about electronica is, that you buy a digital camera, you walk out of the shop and suddenly its 100 $ less lol.
The same is with Video cards. You've got a *commercial censore* 4 and when you spin around there is a *commercial censore* 4 TI for the half of the price.

That really annoys me T.T

My PC is stinky and I got it in like eh... 1998 lol.
It is malfunctioning like every hour but as long as it does its purpose its ok ^_~[/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Haha, speaking of computers going wrong... (if you don't mind, I refer you to a personal incident which I documented very extensively and then published on my own site)

[URL=http://www.sciros.net/Articles/greatfloodincident.htm]The Great Flood Incident[/URL]

It was horrible, and it makes me hate my current computer. It's like a car that's supposed to have a V8 but instead has a V4 with only 3 cylinders working. Yeah, that's how it feels.

The thing about computers, is, if you want a computer that can actually run useful and entertaining programs you get a PC. If you want a computer thats pretty much failsafe and won't start spazzing out, get a Mac. But the thing is, Macs are about 1/5 as useful as PC's, 1/8 as compatible, so Macs pretty much suck the big one. PC's on the otherhand, tend to go ballistic, grow mechanical arms and try to choke the user to death. Well, thats what it feels like anyways.

Microsoft operating systems, as revolutionary as they are, always ALWAYS get some kind of error within a few weeks in my experience. Now, I haven't tried Linux, but I use Microsoft OS instead of a Mac, because I like to play games, upgrade my computer, have more than one mouse button, avoid ridiculous monitor colours, etc.

But I have a theory. I think Bill Gates is making sh***y software on purpose, and the only reason he does so is that he's rich, and he can, that a**hole. He's probably sitting at home laughing while eating his gold laced potato chips, sitting on his gold couch, watching his gold painted strippers he hired who are suffocating from lack of oxygen through the skin, and he's doin nothing about it, because he has enough money to pay off any lawyers that would give him troubles about anything. Not to mention he bribed the election commitee just for kicks, resulting in the current primate that acts as pres of the USA.

But alas, what can you do, just try and put in the extra effort, and extra money, into buying virus programs, getting perfectly compatible parts, and making sure you don't go and download anything stupid like some program that claims it'll send 6 mil to your bank account if you run it or something.

So yeah, comps are a pain, but hey without them life would be so much less convenient, and we wouldnt have OB, or anything like that. So just be content with what ya have. :D