OtakuBoards

Disadvantaged Upstart In Need Of Serious Advice

sublime2004

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkred][b]I am imaginative, and I am also quite a competent artist. I am wanting to write and draw my own manga, but I have no idea where to start. [/b][/color][/size][/font]
[b][font=Arial][size=1][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][size=1][color=#8b0000]I have no manga of my own. I have very little(no) funds. The nearest source of anime(besides cartoon network) or manga is 50 miles away. So, you can see what I mean by disadvantaged.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][size=1][color=#8b0000]If anyone could give me any advice on what I could possibly do, that would be fantastic. Can any of you help me? Or am I just screwed? [/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][size=1][color=#8b0000]Please reply as soon as possible. Because, I'm afraid that if I don't get these ideas out on paper, I'm gonna forget them. And that's not good for anybody.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][size=1][color=#8b0000]Any help would be much appreciated. [/color][/size][/font][/b]

[color=darkblue]Well, manga ideas don't usually involve other animés/mangas unless you plan on doing one about an animé/manga that's already out.

All you really need to get started is a pencil, any piece of paper and an idea. Sure, your first sketches may not be on artist paper, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to transfer them later. All you need to do is save up what money you can until you can afford to buy the right equipment (something I'm trying to do myself right now, lol).

If you're saying that you need references from other animes, try running a Google image search for the characters you need. Some site or another out there is bound to have some production sheets and model sheets for them. I've found a few myself (thank God).

Just be really determined about the whole situation. After all, that's what it takes to be a really great manga artist. ^_~[/color]

Don't worry about feeling disadvantaged, and don't be too tentative about jumping in if this is something new for you. I'd advise you to look into things like frames, borders, bleedlines,and paper sizes if you hope to get published. Just draw and write. It may help to get character profiles down or plotlines. Don't be too worried about forgetting stuff, too. Chances are, if it's a really good story you'll reply it over and over in your head.

Guest Teiaiel
It does put you into a severe disadvantage to not own any manga books of your own, because seeing what other people do with panels and such really helps with making your own manga. However, there are a series of good manga tutorials online that talk a lot about japanese style panel-workings and etc. I'm guessing that you'll be making 'internet manga,' which really makes things easier for those who are poor or deprived XD

Most manga use screentones, but creating your own screentones aren't that hard on the computer. The downside is that you won't be able to show it off on paper, but on the bright side, there is a larger audience on the web. You can even ink your art on a computer if you don't have access to any 'good' pens. Again, there are a lot of tutorials out there that talk about stuff like this.

Good luck!

Besides repeating what has already been said here (which I wont), I would just like to add that it would be best to start with what kind of Manga you want to draw. I myself am drawn to the styles of Ken Akamatsu (the genius who invented Love Hina), and have begun to draw similar to that style. If you need refrences, which I highly recommend, and you don't have the resources to buy such references, which you alluded to, look online. There are plenty of online Manga sources to look at. Shonnen has a great site, mf-spirit.com or something like that...I better go look for it now. Also, decide who your audience is. In Japanese comics there is Shonen and Shoujo. Shonen is what you normally see in America, and is geared towards the female audience in Japan. Shoujo is "realistic" drawing (as realistic as one gets in Japanese art work), and is action packed most times and drama filled in other times. This style is geared towards men in Japan. Blade of the Immortal is an example.

Where does all this fit in with you, well....at one point you will need to buy something. A 3-D model for reference, art supplies, Manga paper, ink....something. But the point is you will have to spend a dime at one time (no ryhme intended). So now you know what to ask for when Christmas or Hannuka or Kwanzaa or whatever rolls by. Just keep at it, and don't let the big world of Japanese art get at you. Once you get going, it's really not all that difficult. When I was learning Japanese in School, one thing we learned to do was write and speak Japanese everywhere. We learned the Language quickly. I recommend you do the same. If you have no paper, draw on your self...make caveman paintings on the ground with bark if you have to (here in Idaho, that's kind of common in the sub-division I'm at), but don't let Life give you this little drawing test for nothing. If you only have a pencil, then go to town with that pencil! Either way, if you have the heart...nothing's going to stop you. Well that's it for me...

Sore Jya Mata Ne....