OtakuBoards

Soundtracks to Manga

Guest ScirosDarkblade

Guest ScirosDarkblade
This is an interesting thing I realized recently. I have a few comic book series and manga series to which I have subconsciously attributed soundtracks simply due to the music I was listening to while reading them. I've never played Chrono Cross, so my Chrono Cross OST (yeah, the music IS that good) was "up for grabs," so to speak, and I was listening to it while reading Crossgen's [i]Scion[/i]. So now much of that soundtrack is my "Scion soundtrack," and I imagine scenes from the comic while listening to the music. The same thing happened to my Evangelion manga, which stole the Zone of the Enders OST all for itself. So the song "Kiss Me Sunlights" is now, for me, the "Evangelion theme."

Do any of you do that to comics/manga?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ni chan
Yeah it's quite sad but i do that all the time. And even sadder (if that can be used to describe something) is that i imagine my OWN characters doing things (eg. fightng) to soundtrack music and so and so forth. Wow that really is quite sad.*looks depressed* So are not alone my friend...

have you heard the song from the film the end of evangelion its towords the end of the film its great

I think the song goes like this:

I know, I know I've let you down
I've been a fool to myself
I thought that I could live for no one else
But now, through all the hurt and pain
It's time for me to respect
the ones you love mean more than anything

So with sadness in my heart
I feel the best thing I could do
is end it all, and leave forever
What's done is done, it feels so bad
What once was happy now is sad
I'll never love again, my world is ending

I wish that I could turn back time
'Cuz now the guilt is all mine
Can't live without the trust from those you love.
I know we can't forget the past
You can't forget love and pride
Because of that, it's killing me inside.

It all returns to nothing
It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down
I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down

In my heart of hearts, I know that I could never love again
I've lost everything
everything
everything that matters to me, matters in this world

I wish that I could turn back time
'Cuz now all the guilt is mine
Can't live without the trust from those you love
I know we can't forget the past
You can't forget love and pride
Because of that, it's killing me inside

It just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down

It just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down

Tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down

Letting me down, letting me down, letting me down

Tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down

Letting me down, letting me down, letting me down

Holst's 'the planets', especially 'Mars' goes great with Thor. I read one of the pivitol issues in the 'Sprial' arc while listening to that...

Sojourn brings LOTR music to my mind, and occasionaly Pirates of the Carribean.

There's this one song off my Dungeons and Dragons Roleplaying soundtrack that seems to pop into my head whenever I'm reading or writing something exciting...

Interesting.

I don't know that I put soundtracks with things I read. Usually when I read a comic, I'm on the L (the local electric train system) listening to some music to drown out all the outside noises. If I get into the comic enough, I don't even hear the music I'm blaring.

I do notice that I imagine the sounds going on in the comic and what people would sound like... but I don't honestly think I've ever added music to that.

I think it's somewhat the opposite for me. The comic won't make me think of music, but music will always suggest a certain comic. For instance, whenever I hear Billy Joel, I begin reliving all of the subtlely shounen-ai moments of Gundam Wing. It's even gotten so bad as to be song specific- 'You're My Home' seems like Trowa's exact thoughts on Quatre, and 'Just the Way You Are' is Heero (about Duo). And it happens for _every single song_. ... It's a bit frightening, actually...

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel'] Usually when I read a comic, I'm on the L (the local electric train system) listening to some music to drown out all the outside noises. [/quote][size=1]It continues to be cool that you live in Chicago.

To be honest, I don't read many comic books or manga, but if I am listening to music while reading (or have a song stuck in my head, which is more likely) I sometimes realize how well a certain piece fits whichever bit I'm reading.

I think that's quite cool, though.

Cahoots--surely not [i]every[/i] song? (I am going to be greatly amused if you say yes.) But, hey. My mom loves Billy Joel, so I grew up listening to it. [/size]

[color=#30415d]I find that I often associate my music to different things that I happen to be doing at the time while listening to my CD player. For example, I have to admit that listening to Alien Ant Farm now reminds me of Mei, due to the fact that I was listening to it all week during a trip to the beach while thinking of her the whole time. <.<; Or, my brother mentioned recently that playing a certain video game reminds him of a tv show that he was watching when he first played that particular level.

So in that regard, it's totally possible that my listening to, say, my Incubus CD, when reading some new Naruto manga that I recently bought, that in the future I'll come to associate Incubus with Naruto and vice versa. Of course, I'd have to be reading somewhere where I'd be alone anyway, because if I'm on the bus or something, I'd likely be listening to music for the same reasons Tony does.[/color]

[QUOTE=Sara][size=1]
Cahoots--surely not [i]every[/i] song? (I am going to be greatly amused if you say yes.) But, hey. My mom loves Billy Joel, so I grew up listening to it. [/size][/QUOTE]

Well, as much as I hate to deprive you of your amusement, I will admit that not _every_ Billy Joel song evokes mental images filled with angsty bishonen. (Unfortunately.) I've found that his purely instrumental stylings cancel out even my (comparatively) normal thoughts, let alone ponderings about the vaguely (and not so vaguely) romantic undertones of a series filled with adolescent males. ... The end of that last sentence completely hijacked my train of thought.