OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

Desbreko

[color=indigo]A few days ago I was fortunate enough to get to play a dungeon (the Ice Temple in Level 7 -- fun) in three player mode, as well as about twenty Shadow Battle matches. The little voting bit at the end of a Hyrulean Adventure dungeon was neat. You don't just gain or lose points from getting the most votes, but you're affected by each individual vote, which I like. If you're a pain in the butt in a dungeon, you can really get screwed by the other players' votes, heh.

Oh, and I actually prefer using a GBA. (Though the C stick on the GCN controller makes switching formations so much easier in single player, it's worth it for me). I really dislike having to use the control stick on the GCN controller; I will forever prefer a D-pad for 2D games, just because it's so much easier to get precise movement. Walking along a narrow, one space wide path with lots of twists and turns? No problem if I'm using a GBA, but if I've got to use a control stick I have to be really careful in order to not fall off.

And part of the charm of Zelda games is that the puzzles are deceptively simple, heh. I love stuff like that. (There's some really good examples of things like that in Level 5: Temple of Darkness and Level 8: Palace of Winds, which had me and my brother stumped for a good long while). I think FSA's puzzles are the best in the series so far.

For those cannon/bomb things on Death Mountain, by the way,you have to use [spoiler]oil pots[/spoiler] to light the fuses. That's another thing that took me and my brother a bit to figure out.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=indigo']And part of the charm of Zelda games is that the puzzles are deceptively simple, heh. I love stuff like that. (There's some really good examples of things like that in Level 5: Temple of Darkness and Level 8: Palace of Winds, which had me and my brother stumped for a good long while). I think FSA's puzzles are the best in the series so far.[/color][/quote]

I wouldn't go as far as to call the puzzles in FSA the best in the series thus far, but they are very good. I was definitely pleasantly surprised with how good the puzzles were in the game.

I haven't the opportunity to use the GBA, so I can't comment on that, but I will say that I had absolutely no difficulties with the control stick, outside of a couple of mishaps with the Pegasus Boots. The controls weren't really an issue, for me.

Ive found the controls rather straightforward, but i didnt get very far, I only rented the game for 2 days. I liked it better than orcarina of time, even though that is a classic zelda title. The graphics are better and the puzzles are more challenging and less repetetive.
I cant wait to buy it, i will probably go late in the week or this weekend. :D

I just finished up my first multiplayer session of Four Swords Adventures, and man, is it ever fun. lol

The game is totally different when you're playing multiplayer...not so much with the game itself, but in your interaction with your partner(s); my brother and I kept alternating between flawless teamwork and an "every man for himself" credo. The latter came up mostly when there were extra Force Gems to pick up, haha. My brother and I definitely weren't afraid to be real dicks to each other when it came to gathering up Force Gems and climbing ahead in the rankings. We pulled some really dirty tricks on each other.

And that's what makes it fun. Instead of going through it by yourself, Four Swords Adventures becomes a competition and a real fun example of teamwork. Four Swords Adventures is definitely worth it if you can only play it single-player, but the single-player game just can't compare to playing it multiplayer (and, mind you, I only played the two-player game - it's probably even more fun with more players).

[color=indigo]Well, I wasn't saying the control is bad when using the GCN's control stick. I just prefer a control cross for 2D games, because it's either on or off for movement, while a stick has different degrees of movement. So it's harder to tell when that change in direction is going to happen while using a control stick, whereas with a control cross, you know exactly since it's only eight directions that you're switching between instead of having to judge how far you need to push the stick to get it to switch.

And I meant the puzzles while in multiplayer mode, by the way. Most of them are a lot more fun when you have multiple people all working on them at once, as opposed to having to switch between Links yourself in one player mode. In my opinion, A Link to the Past still takes the cake for single player Zelda.

Guess I should learn to clearify my statements better. :whoops:[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=indigo']And I meant the puzzles while in multiplayer mode, by the way. Most of them are a lot more fun when you have multiple people all working on them at once, as opposed to having to switch between Links yourself in one player mode.[/color][/quote]

Yeah, I agree with you there. While many of the game's puzzles are still fun in single-player mode, a few of them that were meant for more team-based play get a bit tedious. If you want to enjoy Four Swords Adventures' puzzles to their greatest extent, then you definitely have to play the game in multiplayer mode.

I played some Shadow Battle this morning and it's decent fun. While it's nowhere near as fun as the regular game, I can see myself playing a game of Shadow Battle every once in a while. I've yet to unlock all the games in Tingle's Tower (because my brother and I haven't gotten through the entire game in multiplayer mode yet), so I'll hold off any comments on those until later.

[color=indigo]Eesh...Tingle's Tower. The only minigame in there that I like is Volley, By Golly, and mainly just because I'm good enough at it that it's usually my friends that end up getting smacked by the ball. (Which, you know, is fun to watch. :p) I suppose the horse racing one isn't that bad, it just gets old after a few races; same deal with the two Monster Hunting ones. The rest I got tired of after one or two matches.[/color]

• 10 months later...
Guest NightCrawler777
Zelda rocks!! I played Four Swords and it was pretty cool. I played along with my bros. and kicked major butt. It was so much fun ^_^. The only bad thing was that my brother wanted all the money and cool weapons and kept fighting on who got it. I didn't care much about it. I JUST WANTED TO PLAY THE GAME.