OtakuBoards

Animal Face-Off

Onix

Has anyone seen the Discovery Channel TV show Animal Face-Off? It's a really cool show where they take all this data about animals, download it into a computer, and have CGI models of these two animals duke it out. It's really well done.

Anyway, this thread isn't so much about the TV show as it is the idea.

If you could do one of these shows, what animals would YOU have fight? Which do you think would win? Why?

Post your ideas, debate other people's, whatever. Just don't post anything like "I would have a Dung Beetle fight an Elephant, and the Elephant would win cuz it would smash the bug flat!" or "You're wrong! A Tiger would sooooooo beat a Lion cuz Tigers rock the wrld!", okay?

[b][size=1][color=darkgreen]First off: the show Animal Face-Off is a complete joke. In every single episode I have seen, the information and integrity of the experiment was comprimised. And, how in the world is a metal skull attached to a vice-grip supposed to prove anything?

Anyway...I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of a fight between a wasp and a hornet. I would also like to see a fight between a kangaroo and a dingo. I really don't know either of which would win the fights....that's why I'd like to see them.[/b][/size][/color]

[QUOTE=sublime2004][b][size=1][color=darkgreen]First off: the show Animal Face-Off is a complete joke. In every single episode I have seen, the information and integrity of the experiment was comprimised. And, how in the world is a metal skull attached to a vice-grip supposed to prove anything?
[/b][/size][/color][/QUOTE]

I think you fail to see the point of the show. The experiments are mostly just for show, to keep the veiwers interested (hense the crushing of coconuts and TV's in the mouths). By the time the challenge starts they already have all the info they need about what the animal can do. The metal skulls are only meant to give you an idea of what the animal can do to its prey.

Now that I am done ranting. I persoanlly like the show just because I am interested in how animals (including humans) behave. For instance, I never knew before about a week ago that a cougar tries to grab the spine of its prey, whereas most other predators of the feline group go for the throat.

As for who I would like to see face off: maybe pit the cougar against a fully grown, male lion. They would both be evenly matched in most cases, but the cougar would have a speed advantage and the lion would have a larger mass advantage.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I like the show. I think it's a little corny that they make the situations plain. You know, out in the open, equal turf. Like the cougar/wolf fight. (which was awesome) It was a little bogus that the cougar didn't get to use it's main weapon: stealth. It was also pretty apperant that the experts were showing favoratism.

If I wanted two animals to fight, I'd take it to the next level. I'd want to see a leprichaun vs. a squirrel. Having two completely malevolent being fight is cool. I'd also want to see a rhino vs. a jeep.[/COLOR]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I haven't watched the show, but it sounds interesting. If I wanted to see two animals duke it out (which I wouldn't in reality, but CG is okay), it would be a rhino vs. a hippopotamus. Rhinos have horns, but hippos are so freaking mean that it would be brutal. How about a large male white rhino vs. a dominant bull hippo.

If that doesn't work, how about a really pissed off orangutang vs. a ninja? It would be freaking hilarious. Those apes are so strong and fast that no average guy could do anything, but a ninja... well, there's a matchup.

And if THAT doesn't work, maybe a full-grown male lion vs. a fully-grown male Nile croc. That would be awesome, and it probably happens, albeit rarely.

[quote name='Farto the Magic][COLOR=DarkRed']If I wanted two animals to fight, I'd take it to the next level. I'd want to see a leprichaun vs. a squirrel. Having two completely malevolent being fight is cool. I'd also want to see a rhino vs. a jeep.[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]That sounds like a very funny yet disturbing idea. Of course, I've never seen the show, but here's my input:
I want to see a unicorn vs. a Wooly Mamoth. Or maybe and anteater fighting an armadillo. One way or another something interesting is bound to happen. right?[/color]

Okay, people? Enough with the jeeps, the ninjas, and the leprechauns. This is supposed to be serious. Not ignorant.

Let me clarify, since you didn't get it, what I intended with this thread.

I intended sensible discussion, enlightening thoughts, opinions, and various match-ups between animals that were being discussed. Not "I'd like to see a monkey fight a crack addict," okay?

I guess I wasn't clear enough the first time.

Maybe I'll put up an example.

Personally, I'd like to see a wolf pack go up against a pride of lions. That would be an interesting match-up. In the long run, I see the lions winning. Though the wolves have their team-work, the lions are just more powerful, and would over-power the wolves, walking away with victory.

There. That's the kind of thing I was hoping for. Not...

[quote name='Farto the Magic']I'd want to see a leprichaun vs. a squirrel[/quote]

I empathize with poor Xion here. It seems that no one is really taking this thread seriously, and it might be interesting to see what kind of match-ups you people could concoct. I would hate to close this thread for the actions of a specific few.

My matchups: I would like to see a Water Buffalo fight a full grown, stadium worthy Spanish Bull. Both are incredibly dangerous creatures (the water Buffalo can tear apart a full grown lion) and the fight would be fairly brutal...

I would also like to see a Wolverine fight a Tasmanian Devil. Both are extremely vociferous rodents, and known for their insanely belligerent attitudes towards anything within their immediate vicinities.

While we're on the topic of animal combat, have any of you seen two giraffes fight? It's the most insane thing I've ever seen. The two bull giraffes litteraly hurl their necks against eachother until one breaks.... That's brutal.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Hey hey I was fairly serious with the exception of the ninja, although I do still want to see that (a badass guy vs. an angry orangutang, although that is a bit sadistic; kinda like watching gladiators, so nevermind it would be inhumane, I retract that suggestion).

Giraffes fighting like that? Holy cow, that IS brutal. Golly.

Anyway, another matchup I'd want to see is two dolphins vs. a great white shark. That DOES happen, and I really want to see the dolphins show that shark who's boss. I know I'll feel sorry for the shark, but hey, it's nature's way. Or rather, "that's nychu's wy."

I'd also like to see a Kodiak bear take on a tiger. I really don't know how that would turn out. The bear is freaking huge, and with one swipe could take the tiger's face off. But the tiger might be able to get at the bear's throat somehow or something. I wonder.

[color=darkviolet]Well, I was kind of serious and on a jelly bean high when I put down the part about the anteater and the armadillo. Who knows it could happen.

On a slightly more serious note, how about a cat vs a dog? You know, so we can see if they really do fight on a regular basis. Like I don't know...cats and dogs? They could use a medium sized dog and a house cat. Of course in my experiance the cat would win, she always does at my house.[/color]

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']I'd also like to see a Kodiak bear take on a tiger. I really don't know how that would turn out. The bear is freaking huge, and with one swipe could take the tiger's face off. But the tiger might be able to get at the bear's throat somehow or something. I wonder.[/quote]

The amusing thing there is that they actually did that a few nights ago with a Brown Bear and a Siberian Tiger. Too bad the bear won, but it was an unfair challenge from the start. The tiger would not be able to get a kill in its normal fashion since a bear would be too big to knock over and too tall to get by the throat. The tiger has sharper claws, but they are useless against a creature known to take a shotgun to the chest and not blink. Also bears swipe with their front feet (or hands, if they are standing), which would knock the smaller tiger back quite a bit.

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue] In school today we watched how some animals fought for their territory and mating rights. It showed how zebras, gorrillas, giraffes, and other animals fought. It was interesting to see how the giraffe fought by swinging its head like a hammer. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Plum]I wonder who would win against a hippo and an alligator. I don't know who would win. What do you all think? [/COLOR]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='Luna322][COLOR=Plum']I wonder who would win against a hippo and an alligator. I don't know who would win. What do you all think? [/COLOR][/quote]

Well, [alligators and] crocodiles would have no chance against a hippo. Nile crocs will occasionally take down a calf or something, but nothing close to a full-grown hippopotamus. Adult hippos can make pretty short work of a crocodile.

[COLOR=DarkRed]The crocodile would literally be ripped to shreds. I'm serious here. A tyrannosaurus rex (no spell-check?!) vs. a pack of ten or so raptors. While we're at it, a bighorn ram vs. a juvenile pachecephalasaurus. (no spell-check again!) Sorry about the earlier comments. Didn't mean to offend. How about a hyena vs. a leopard?[/COLOR]