OtakuBoards

Gungrave Beyond The Grave

Guest gendou ikari

Guest gendou ikari
I found this to be a rather interesting series. For those of you who don't know, Gungrave is the story of Brandon, a man betrayed by his best friend, Harry. Harry used to be a good man, until he got extrmely powerful in the mafia and thought he could do whatever he wants, so he held his best friend Brandon at gunpoint and killed him. His whole life changed since then and now he see's Brandon as an enemy. Brandon now is summoned back from the grave into a man named, Grave, he now has unmatchable power. He must remember his past now, and get revenge on his best friend who killed him, for those memories still tear at his fragile soul.

Harry and Brandon's lustful youths have now been tragically metamorphed into an inevitable lust for absolute power. A story of revenge, friendship and betrayal, that is what drives Gungrave. This is also by the creators of trigun, so expect good character development!Please tell me what you think about this series, thank you for your precious time, and goodbye.

Although this series has received mixed reviews, I'm really excited about its upcoming release. If I recall correctly, the LE box and first DVD will come out on July 6. Wasn't Gungrave based on a Devil May Cry-esque video game (or perhaps it's the other way around)?

I like Trigun well enough, but I suspect that I may take more readily to Gungrave's characters and story. It sounds darker, more dramatic and more serious. Anyway, since you've seen the entire show I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How does its animation compare to that of other recent anime? On a similar note, do you like the artwork?

2. Is Gungrave's plot consistently strong, or are there occasional loopholes?

3. Does the series do a good job of making you care about the characters?

Thanks in advance for your reply. ^_^

~Dagger~

Guest gendou ikari
[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Although this series has received mixed reviews, I'm really excited about its upcoming release. If I recall correctly, the LE box and first DVD will come out on July 6. Wasn't Gungrave based on a Devil May Cry-esque video game (or perhaps it's the other way around)?

I like Trigun well enough, but I suspect that I may take more readily to Gungrave's characters and story. It sounds darker, more dramatic and more serious. Anyway, since you've seen the entire show I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How does its animation compare to that of other recent anime? On a similar note, do you like the artwork?

2. Is Gungrave's plot consistently strong, or are there occasional loopholes?

3. Does the series do a good job of making you care about the characters?

Thanks in advance for your reply. ^_^

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

ok, I guess I can do that.But first of all, I will answer your first question, No, though your pretty close to the correct answer. Devil may cry was inspired by Trigun.

1.I liked the art. It was very dark and added a really nice mood to the whole show.
It compares well to recent animes.

2.Do you mean complex or powerful? I'll just answer them both. The plot is not that complex, not at all, but it is, in a sense powerful.

3. It has a good amount of character development, I personally cared for their relationship and how they where forced to fight each other, how one betrayed the other, and how one seeked for revenge.

Your welcome ;)

Yeah Gungrave is based on the Gungrave video game for the PS2.

As for the series, I haven't really seen much about it, but I really like the designs and style of the characters from the game.
Plus that gun-casket thingy is pretty cool. :D

Hmm, maybe if I like the series, I'll go out and buy the game.

I really like GunGrave, strong story, good character development, and nice artwork

Though it is based on the game, there's quite a few things different from the game, the ending to the anime is different, for a start (and MUCH better might I add)

Episode 26, which is the final episode of GG, was aired last night in Japan, and it has a sad (but good) ending, a nice way to finish off the series

[spoiler]Oh yeah, and by the way Gendou, Brandon (or Grave) never betrays Harry, Harry betrays Millennion, and Brandon was just doing his job, as there is one iron rule of Millennion[/spoiler]

I'm just sad it's all over now :(

Ah well, time to start watching Tenjou Tengu

• 2 months later...
A couple of days ago, I received volume 1 of Gungrave in the mail. Having seen the first two episodes, I'm immensely happy that I chose not to watch this when it was being fansubbed. So far I've also managed to avoid stumbling across spoilers about any upcoming plot twists. Gungrave seems like just my type of show, and its character designs reflect Yasuhiro Nightow's unique style of art much more accurately than Trigun's. I would go so far as to say that they improve upon his occasionally disproportionate drawings.

I thought the end of episode 2 was extremely well directed. Moreover, Gungrave has a strong script and great production values. While I like the dub enough to keep on watching the show in English, I do feel that some of the female voices were miscast. Maria just sounds far different than what her appearance would naturally lead me to expect--a little too young, perhaps. Thankfully, all of the male VAs totally nail their respective characters.

Gungrave fascinates me on a whole variety of levels. In episode 2, the young men's camaraderie is presented really skillfully and believably. Over the course of only a few scenes, none of which contained much dialogue, they were all shown to have distinct, interesting personalities. Brandon is particularly compelling because he could easily have been portrayed as your stereotypical strong, standoffish type--yet I've never seen a character quite like him.

~Dagger~

There are fantastic battle scenes in this - I'm always cringing at the possibility of someone losing an arm, or a head, or whatever else, but it's always tastefully done. That girl (the daughter of... I'm allll confused about the plot now, but you all know who I mean) got on my nerves after awhile. She cries and cries, and then is all happy, and then cries and cries. BOO HOO, stop your whining and pick up a gun.

Otherwise, I TOTALLY loved GunGraves character - so zombie-like sometimes, until he flies into action. As Dagger says, it would've been easy to make him out to be a standoffish, silent-just-because, type character... but the creators really made something else. The story, as someone said above, is definitely not complex at all, but it's definitely interesting and fun to follow.

Great series. Worth buying for a home collection.

Phil

• 10 months later...
Well, I finally managed to start catching up with this show. I've had the latest discs sitting in my "to watch" pile for a long time, all because I somehow forgot to pre-order disc 2. Anyway, I'm now up to episode 17 or so, and seeing that much has made me feel completely justified in blindly ordering the series even when I wasn't actively watching it.

Gungrave starts off pretty slowly. It's hard to get a handle on Brandon, since he's so quiet and awkward; at first it's much easier to relate to Harry. But both characters end up being well developed. I was deeply impressed by some of the twists that took place toward the middle of the series, like [spoiler]Maria becoming involved with Big Daddy rather than Brandon.[/spoiler] Even though I still had reservations about where the plot was going, that alone immediately won me over.

The entire first part of Gungrave steadily builds up to [spoiler]the falling out between Harry and Brandon.[/spoiler] There was so much riding on the episodes that dealt with this event (and in certain ways the pressure was even greater because the aftermath is shown during the first episode). Despite this, I thought the writers handled it incredibly well. I was moved and gratified. It would have been easy to [spoiler]toss Harry by the wayside and make him out to be totally corrupt; showing that he, too, felt a sense of betrayal and grief[/spoiler] added a lot to the emotional fabric of the series.

I can't wait to watch more episodes tonight. This show is awesome. :animesmil

~Dagger~

• 8 months later...
Guest Night Prowler
Well who likes it. Im upto Ep 17 (just after the inserdent with Grave in the Graveyard), I personally think it ROCKS (or whatever you say to express greatness) and the Great Animation and story line are one of the best.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Night Prowler, I merged your thread with the Official Gungrave thread. Make sure to check the Official Threads Directory before making new threads about Anime. Thanks. -Arvi[/SIZE][/COLOR]

While this is a great anime and Grave is an awesome chacter he really doesnt have a personality. He never devlops over the course of the show. What is known about hm is that he is fiercley loyal. The series excels when it comes to Brandon and Harrys relationship. They have such a strong frienship which has a heavy impact on the viewers. The theme is Friendship and Loyality and it is expressed very well.