OtakuBoards

Digimon

Guest Izumi Yagami

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]This show is truly amazing. I started re-watching the episodes (starting with Adventure, of course) in Japanese for the sake of nostalgia and they really stand up to the test of time (8 years, but oh well).

When Digimon first came out I was like 7-9 years old and I fell in love with it. My brother is 5 years older then me (making him 22) so he never got into the whole Anime craze (he never liked cartoons, anyway).

But recently I managed to get him to start watching Season 1 (in english) and he [i]likes it[/i]! It's amazing! Granted the fact that his girlfriend happened to grow up with Digimon helped to get him to watch it but after the first episode he was hooked regardless. It just goes to show that Digimon is 10 times better then any episode of Pokemon.

Sometimes I wish I could just slip into the Digital World. :animesigh

Has anyone else found that the Japanese version isn't quite as childish as the english dub? It's also funnier, haha.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]This show is truly amazing. I started re-watching the episodes (starting with Adventure, of course) in Japanese for the sake of nostalgia and they really stand up to the test of time (8 years, but oh well). [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Just so you know, good luck when you get to Tamers. For some reason, there's only 13 episodes subbed. Lucky it's the most faithful season of the dub (and best season of the show at all, IMO.)

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Has anyone else found that the Japanese version isn't quite as childish as the english dub? It's also funnier, haha.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That happens sometimes. My basic rundown:

Adventure 1: Excellent dubbing. Not sure about any script changes since I haven't seen much of the subtitled version, but they did well at keeping the edgier content in, like 666 or Ogremon bleeding.

Adventure 02: Bah, too many puns at the beginning. Davis is pretty annoying and there are a few weird changes. On the plus side, it all pans out and the dub becomes amazing near the end, but it's still not enough to redeem the horrible ending to the season. Also, I like the dub's music for this season.

Tamers: Stays pretty faithful as far as I can tell there are a few weird things, but it's not much.

Frontier: This is about the time Saban went under and Disney bought them out and began dubbing. I hate you, Mickey. The dub is terrible. Puns everywhere, and Zoe is ten times as annoying as Izumi will ever be.

Savers: Watch it for the sake of completion. It's an OK show. The dub still makes some pretty big mistakes, though. Agumon shouldn't sound like the original VA. That voice is not meant to speak English. And the ending to either version is almost as bad as 02's.

[quote name='Aceburner']Adventure 02: Bah, too many puns at the beginning. Davis is pretty annoying and there are a few weird changes. On the plus side, it all pans out and the dub becomes amazing near the end, but it's still not enough to redeem the horrible ending to the season. Also, I like the dub's music for this season.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]And to think that Gene Starwind's voice actor did a lot of the ADR direction for the dub :p I lost much respect for him after hearing some of those jokes.

So anyway, I loved the dub music- much more than the original Japanese soundtrack which I bought and then got bored of rather quickly. Despite its awful construction, the US movie had amazing music (used for the most part of 02), and there's a tiny snippet of it available on Shuki Levy (the composer)'s website. It's tragic that the rest of it was never released. You'd never be able to rip it from the show.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503F86]It's tragic that the rest of it was never released. You'd never be able to rip it from the show.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I love the music from the US movie. It's all done by one band (save for the opening song which has some rapper) and it's addictive like nothing else.

Years ago I went out and bought the soundtrack to the movie so if you guys want I can send you the songs, though they aren't hard to find online. :catgirl:[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Years ago I went out and bought the soundtrack to the movie so if you guys want I can send you the songs, though they aren't hard to find online. :catgirl:[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I actually have most of it already (like you said, the internet makes things easy to come by:shifty:)

I also got a lot of the Japanese soundtrack, because Frontier's opening is rockin'.

Oh, and before I forget: the American Movie is also a lot better in Japanese.

It was originally 3 movies: Digimon Adventure's movie, which doesn't seem to have a proper title, Our War Game and Hurricane Touchdown/ Supreme Evolution! The Golden Digimentals (Armor Digieggs.) The first 2 got a pretty faithful dub aside from Willis getting copy-pasted into every other scene, but the third was originally feature length and had about twice the plot as the dub (Kokomon kidnaps the original Digidestined, which is what prompts the others into action,) so I recommend you see the original as well.

[COLOR=#503f86]Those three are the best cel-shaded movies, in my opinion. The second 02 movie was nothing special, and neither was the first Tamers movie (although it does explain where Takato's cousin from Okinawa fits in). [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]Runaway Locomon was okay, if only because all the Tamers characters returned. I liked Ryo.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86][quote name='8bit][COLOR=#696969]Years ago I went out and bought the soundtrack to the movie so if you guys want I can send you the songs, though they aren't hard to find online. [/COLOR']:catgirl:[/quote]Oh, I've got the songs. I was talking about the orchestral score. Thank you, though ^_^[/COLOR]

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]I love Digimon!
I remember back in the day my brother and I would sit on the couch and watch it and many times there would be marathons. I loved all the Digimon so much, I need to try and find some boxsets of the first and third season. Those ( in my opinon ) were the best.
I was SO happy when I got to meet the voice actor who played Tai. Normally I don't watch dubs or know anything about the voice actors who play dubbed characters but Joshua was an exception. He's amazing. When I got to meet him I nearly fainted, no joke, everything was spinning and my legs felt like jelly. Wow I love my life sometimes.

Digimon was one of the best series of all time and is a classic!

P.S.

Digimon in Japanese is really good. If anyone ever gets the chance WATCH IT IN JAPANESE![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Kaiboy'][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]I need to try and find some boxsets of the first and third season. Those ( in my opinon ) were the best.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

50 High fives. Those are my top 2 as well. Tamers first, but only slightly. As for the box sets, someone should write Disney a letter since they own the rights now. I'm sure there are enough supportive fans out there to make it a worthwhile business venture.

[quote name='Kaiboy'][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]I was SO happy when I got to meet the voice actor who played Tai. Normally I don't watch dubs or know anything about the voice actors who play dubbed characters but Joshua was an exception. He's amazing. When I got to meet him I nearly fainted, no joke, everything was spinning and my legs felt like jelly. Wow I love my life sometimes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I need to get to some conventions. That is so cool that you got to meet him!

[quote name='Kaiboy'][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Digimon was one of the best series of all time and is a classic!

P.S.

Digimon in Japanese is really good. If anyone ever gets the chance WATCH IT IN JAPANESE![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Agreed, and I'm trying to do that right now. I wish there were more than 13 episodes of Tamers subbed, but I also love Adventure to death and there's a decent amount of it subbed, so there I am!

The openings of the Japanese versions are freakin' sweet, too.

[YOUTUBE="Butter~fly (Adventure)"]vRt8ZqBoR1g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="Target (Adventure 02)"]JPnpZliuVDA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="The Biggest Dreamer (Tamers)"]feB-RDZioAo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="FIRE! (Frontier)"]nfPFr4dG66A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="Going! Going! My Soul! (Savers opening 1)"]oyPJzF5uk1U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="Hirari (Savers opening 2)"]TUpua2xDb7M[/YOUTUBE]

Wada Kouji is one of my favorite musicians period. He did all of these (except Going) and he's incredible. If anyone wants me to, I'll totally post the lyrics in English.

• 10 months later...
[color=#9933cc]Sorry if this has been asked before (I didn't *quite* read through the whole thread), but do you prefer to watch Digimon in English or in Japanese?

Personally, I can't imagine watching Digimon in Japanese, no matter how good the voice acting. I grew up with Digimon, watched it on Saturday mornings, and I am thusly endeared to the American voice actors (Derek Stephen Prince is a god!)

Opinions?[/color]

[COLOR=#503F86]I actually much prefer the orchestral score to the English dub than the Japanese. Shuki Levy and Udi harpaz are incredible. It's actually one of my favourite soundtracks ever, and it was never released. I'm still upset about that.

The movies are well worth watching in Japanese though, so you see what you missed out on in the rather poor English re-edit. Well, ignore the fourth and fifth ones, because they're a bit crap, but one, two, three, five (don't know about the Frontier ones) and X-Evolution are all very enjoyable ^___^[/COLOR]

I never watched any of them except Adventures, I used to watch them when I was younger, and 1 day I suddenly got the urge to watch them, so I watch adventures 1 and 2 which was like a total of 100 episodes all together. Never tried the other ones, what do you guys say? Should I watch them? They any good? Better?