OtakuBoards

Digimon

Guest Izumi Yagami

Guest hyeotakulink
The first season was good. The second season was awesome. The third season threw me off a bit, but it wasn't bad. The fourth season was just horrible.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lack of digital/satelite television ment that I could only see the first two seasons of digimon. Luckily the film came out in England! It is fantastic! I still enjoy it, even though I am considerably older than the shows target audience.
I used to own Digimon World, which was rather fun, however, it was rather frustrating how my poor new found friend died of old age after such a short time.
I used to own a Digimon fighting digi-pet too. My brother and I obtained some from Japan and we had them years before their release in England.

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']Outta the 7? Don't you mean out of the 5? Where are these otehr two seasons that I'm missing. Did I accidentally skip over something in the last two pages?[/color][/quote]

Well, at lelola.net, they said there were 7 seasons. I guess they had their numbers wrong =/.

• 6 months later...
I really do like Digimon, it was the first anime I was really obsessed about! ^^ Every morning I'd wake up earlier to record today's episode on VHS and I'd watch it when I'd return from school. x3

My favourite season were 1 and 2, since I never got to see the others. ^^ I just really enjoyed everything in it. My favourite characters are Hikari, Yamato and Ken.

And I prefer the most crack of pairings in the second season: Ken x Hikari. I've loved it ever since I stumbled across a fansite of them. They make a really good couple!

[quote name='Izumi Yagami']It looks like I'm the only Digimon fan here. :eek:[/quote]

Heck no! I saw every episode of every season AND both movies :D Tai and Matt are my favorite characters in the first season, Ken is my fave. in the second, Henry is my fave. in the third, Koji and Koichi are my fave.'s in the fourth!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]My favorite season has got to be the first one because that's when I started to watch Digimon and I got hooked. My favorite guy was Matt because I thought he was, well.... cute!!! XD My favorite Digimon from that season has got to be Wizardmon and Angemon. They both were so cool. n.n

I liked the season where the teens can turn into legendary Digimon, too. Although, I don't remember which season it was. I liked the red-haired and blue-haired guys; they were so cute.... XD My favorite Digimons were Agurimon and that wolf digimon thingie. I am so lame.... XD[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=NinjaGirlSango][COLOR=Orange][SIZE=2]I still like Digimon and I'm not afraid to admit it!
It's just another part of my past. One of my first anime addictions ^-^[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Me too ^_^! It's what really kicked off my anime obsession!

I'm glad Toon Disney is still showing it. I enjoy revisiting the past ^-^. Also, now that I'm older, I understand some things I didn't get back when I was 10.

[quote name='Anime Elf']Isn't there another season coming out this year or something?[/quote]

Well, maybe not this year, but there is another season in the works. Apparently it's going to be called Digimon Savers. You can see a scan with character artwork [URL=http://lelola.net/misc/news/digimonsavers.jpg]here[/URL]. There are RUMORS going around saying that it could be a continuation of Tamers (which was my favorite season :) ).

[quote name='Ninjaman]Well, maybe not this year, but there is another season in the works. Apparently it's going to be called Digimon Savers. You can see a scan with character artwork [URL=http://lelola.net/misc/news/digimonsavers.jpg]here[/URL']. There are RUMORS going around saying that it could be a continuation of Tamers (which was my favorite season :) ).[/quote]

I'm afraid I can't see the images...
Got a banner-thingy about direct linking, though/

• 4 weeks later...
As season six has recently been confirmed and information has started floating around, I feel it most appropriate to revive this thread.

Are you all as excited as I am to kow that Digimon will live again?

[quote="Digimon Himitsu"][SIZE=1]A young boy who enjoys fighting even more than the 3rd serving of rice - Daimon Masaru. On a certain day, before a fight that Masaru had been training for, a strange dinosaur-like creature appears. This strange creature, "Agumon", is a "Digital Monster" from another world, the "Digital World". Masaru and Agumon agree to communicate by fighting. However, Agumon had escaped from and was being chased by an organization which investigates digital phenomena, called "DATS (pronounced 'dats')". DATS attempts to recover Agumon from Masaru. As Masaru and Agumon are chased, they run into the Adult stage Digimon, Cockatrimon. Seeing its enormous form ignites Masaru's combative heart, and he challenges Cockatrimon to a fight. Upon striking Cockatrimon, a "Digisoul" forms in Masaru's fist. When Agumon recieves Masaru's Digisoul, he evolves into Geo Greymon and defeats Cockatrimon. Commander Satsuma of DATS, after reviewing the events around Agumon and Masaru, formally appoints them as scouts for DATS. Thus, the captain of the school's fight club, Daimon Masaru, and his partner Agumon, join the fight against the Digimon which are threatening the world's borders.

Daimon Masaru
Junior high student who likes to fight better than the 3rd serving of rice. When he meets someone that looks strong, he can't help but challenge them to a fight. After meeting and defeating the Digimon "Agumon" in a fight on a certain day, Agumon becomes his partner. Because of his latent powers which allowed Agumon to evolve, he becomes a member of DATS.

Tohma H. Norstein
The 14 year old child genius who has graduated university. His ability is considered elite, even within DATS. He bases his operates on data and theoretical principals, and as such, his personality clashes with Daimon's. His mother is Japanese and his father is a prominent Australian aristocrat.

Fujieda Yoshino
The crimson point of Masaru's team. She acts like a big sister to Masaru and Tohma. She is shrewdly respectful, she considers it her job to push Masaru and Tohma, her ability level is very high, and she has a strong trust for her companions. Her favorite phrase is "palanquin set with jewels" (a woman who marries into wealth).

Agumon (Daimon Masaru's Partner Digimon)
He adores Masaru, after being defeated in a fight by him while escaping from DATS. He follows and acts like Masaru, as if he was an older brother. His special technique, "Baby Flame" is to spit flames from his mouth, and he can evolve into Geo Greymon by recieving Masaru's "Digisoul".

Gaomon (Tooma H. Norshtein's Partner Digimon)
Tohma's partner who calls him "master" and follows him without question. An Elite Digimon, like his Partner, Gaomon is both cool and intellectual, end he evolves into Gaogamon.

Lalamon (Fujieda Yoshino's Partner Digimon)
The Plant Type Digimon that is Yoshino's partner. Special technique is Nut Shoot. Thanks to Yoshino, it excels at relationships between man and Digimon, and is reliable and tied closely to friends. Evolves into "Sunflowmon".[/SIZE][/quote]

Scans are also floating around,notably at the [url=http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/]Digimon Encyclopedia[/url].

• 3 months later...
There's been a discussion about which season was the best among my friends as well. Their opinions were that the seasons only got worse as they proceded on. I liked the original characters [B]very[/B] much. Second season didn't catch much of my attention, therefore, I stopped watching it. Maybe this is the dubbing's fault. :p

Third season got me watching it every Saturday morning on FoxBox though...along with a few other animes after it. I was fine with the fact that there were new characters known as the Tamers but there was one thing that amused me. Henry constantly said "Momentai" and I couldn't grasp the meaning in the beginning of the season. As he constantly said it, I gave it a try and I finally realized it was Chinese! It may not be really interesting at all but it doesn't mean "Don't worry, it's okay" as Henry explains it in the *dubbed* anime. Momentai actually means "No problem" in Chinese (Cantonese). It got me going that he explained it simply as "Don't worry" or something of the sort.

From then on, I completely stopped watching Digimon, only to occasionally watch it once or twice when I had nothing better to do. My friends and I still have the anime discussions here and then so I found out about the new Digimon series: Digimon Savers! According to my friend, they're supposed to be even better than all the previous series. I'm more interested in the new digimon because I've always been excited about their creativity. Take for an example: Pandamon! Gatsumon! Megadramon! Digimon is one of the large shards of my past. :animecry: I miss it~

• 1 year later...
I am a huge fan of digimon Primarily seasons one and two, espiicailly the way the characters progessed from season one to two. the villians seemed more contrived in the second season and while I would prefered if they continued the same story ( season three might as well have been another show altogehter that just copied the same idea) but they did need a new change of pace to freshen things up.
I really like season three until I started missing episodes then it just didnt pull me back because i felt no compusion to know whast happened, like I did with the first two seasons.
Tk and Kari forever

Wahoo, here it is. I was just about to go looking for you.

I'm currently midway through a fit of nostalgia and the only cure is more [strike]cowbell[/strike] Digimon. After having rewatched the first 3 seasons, I'm about to move on to Frontier. It may have been the dubbing, but this one was originally my least favorite season. That's part of why I'm watching it Subbed (the other being that Disney dubbed it instead of Saban and since Disney isn't out of business, it's really hard to find the dub on teh internets.)

Tamers is definitely my favorite. I've only seen about 1/3rd of an episode of Savers, but I plan to watch it like the others after Frontier. What little I did see I wasn't too excited about, but I won't make a judgment based on a fraction of an episode.

[quote name='Aceburner']Tamers is definitely my favorite. I've only seen about 1/3rd of an episode of Savers, but I plan to watch it like the others after Frontier. What little I did see I wasn't too excited about, but I won't make a judgment based on a fraction of an episode.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]*applauds politely* well said, sir. I very much liked Tamers too, although I enjoyed the first two seasons thoroughly also.

Wow, I sound [i]incredibly[/i] English there. Best tone it down a bit, heh.

Digimon is probably the biggest single reason I got into anime. Pokemon was a start, but Digimon was (and still is) miles and miles better, in my opinion. The actual character development, creatures that couldn't just say their own names (but be inexplicably unable to construct other words out of the sounds used in their names), proper storylines... it was a dream. Sigh.

Season Four was never aired in the UK as far as I'm aware, so for me the weakest season was 02. Too much focus on Davis for my liking, and Cody and Armadillomon were token characters at best. And Armadillomon was one of my favourites... ah, never mind. Let's not open up that kettle of fish again. Personally I didn't feel it was as well-written as the first season. The ideas were good, but it could have been tightened up.

The movies (aside from 4 and 5) are pretty good, too. I enjoyed them far more individually in Japanese than I did the bizarre dub remix. Digimon: X Evolution isn't too bad either. Good for fans of just the 'mons themselves.[/COLOR]

Man this show brings back many memories. I used to love watching this show on T.V. even when Pokemon was still around, and they randomly took it off and put it too early in the morning to watch so I never got to finish.

I can't say which were my favorite because I only watched the ones that went together i.e. season 1 and 2, I finished the finally some time last year, they were great. I hate starting an anime getting into it and never finishing it, that really pisses me off.

Well after watching all the seasons, (1-4 in english and 1-5 in japanese) I really liked 1-3. I hated 4 it wasn't what you would call the highlight of the series i mean seriously, Spirit evolve? lol. Anyways i thought the fifth season was alright but overall i think the first 1-3 seasons rocked. ^^

• 3 weeks later...
Alright, after finally finishing all of them in some form or other, Tamers is still my favorite. Also, I think people aren't giving Frontier as much credit as it deserves. Sure, parts were a bit weak, but I still liked it better than 02, which soffered from mondo plotholes, a weak start, an unfinished subplot and a terrible finale.

Savers is worth a looking at. I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, speaking of bad finales, this is almost on par with 02's.

[spoiler]Looks pretty climactic at first, but don't be decieved. They just pull off that stupid overused digisoul crap and destroy the GOD OF THE FREAKING DIGITAL WORLD with an overpowered rookie. Not impressive. Not even a little.[/spoiler]

Did I mention I don't like 02's finale? One of my favorite villains got owned by [spoiler]emotions.[/spoiler] It made me sad.

A review of all five seasons are on my MyOtaku page, if anyone's interested.

[quote name='Aceburner']Did I mention I don't like 02's finale? One of my favorite villains got owned by [spoiler]emotions.[/spoiler] It made me sad.[/quote][color=#503F86]Haha, yeah. And what on earth was the [spoiler]God of the Digi-deep about; that Cthulu-like thing randomly inserted at the end of one episode, but then never even referred to again?[/spoiler] Messy, messy writing.

I think they tried to work in too many characters but then, instead of actually balancing them out (which they could easily have done in 52 episodes) they just focused on Davis and Veemon, leaving even well-established characters like Kari and TK relegated to second fiddles. Although the Ken stuff was good. The best moment in the series was probably [spoiler]when they defeated him as the Digimon Emperor and he got Wormmon back[/spoiler]. That was good.

But the designs of the armoured digimon are still some of my all-time favourites. Yay Flamedramon and Digmon.[/color]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][color=#503F86]Haha, yeah. And what on earth was the [spoiler]God of the Digi-deep about; that Cthulu-like thing randomly inserted at the end of one episode, but then never even referred to again?[/spoiler] Messy, messy writing.[/color][/QUOTE]

That's what I meant by the vanishing subplot.

"He will hunt you down, Kari!"

He could have at least been a little more, you know, proactive about the whole thing. I would totally dig a Chtulhumon (Hey, that's kind of catchy! Probably wouldn't fizzle and die as fast as a [spoiler]resurrected Myotismon,[/spoiler] either.)

But yeah, the Armor designs were pretty cool, especially Magnamon. So was the DNA evolution (Though, as usual, the main Digimon got the most powerups.)

[quote name='Aceburner']That's what I meant by the vanishing subplot.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Oh, I see. I didn't even think it was in long enough for it to be called a subplot. More like a concept at that stage.

Actually, [spoiler]Magnadramon and Seraphimon in the movie were pretty nice, for all of the two seconds ther were actually on screen[/spoiler]. Would have been nice to see them get some proper action too. I guess that's what fanfiction and trading card games are for :p[/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503F86]Oh, I see. I didn't even think it was in long enough for it to be called a subplot. More like a concept at that stage.

Actually, [spoiler]Magnadramon and Seraphimon in the movie were pretty nice, for all of the two seconds ther were actually on screen[/spoiler]. Would have been nice to see them get some proper action too. I guess that's what fanfiction and trading card games are for :p[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

If you want to see more of [spoiler]Seraphimon,[/spoiler] he shows up a few times in Frontier (I recommend tracking down the subs of that one, the dub is pretty lousy.)

No word on the other one, but Ophanimon, which is an alternate Salamon/Gatomon Mega, is also in Frontier.

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]The original Digimon was my very first anime, and it still holds a special place in my heart. ^^ I was completely obsessed with it at the time; my friends and I would draw the characters and role play at recess...

I tried watching some of the later seasons, but it just wasn't the same for me. Eventually I gave up on them and moved on to other anime, but I'll never forget the show that first established my love for anime! ;D[/COLOR][/FONT]