OtakuBoards

Digimon

Guest Izumi Yagami

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=#503F86]No, that's not true at all. There are plenty of Digimon fans about, but no threads have yet been started in the Anime Lounge about it. You can tell from the Digimon section in the Anime Archives just how huge the fanbase was., and by the number of Digimon RPGs in the Adventure Arena.

In future though, if you want to start a thread about a specific anime, please put a bit more detail into your first post. A bit about the series, which season you liked, etc. Scope for actual discussion, you know? This won't cut it on its own.

But since it is the first thread made about Digimon in here I'll get the thing started.

Digimon, as many people misappropriate, were actually on the scene before Pokemon was. Although the anime came at the same time and very much rode on the success of Pokemon, I can't help but feel this didn't get the press it deserved up against Nintendo's huge marketing franchise, especially as even the worst series was much better than any Pokemon episodes.

Rather than have both the creatures and humans in the same world, Digimon come from a different world (a Digital one) where the battles actually mean something, rather than just fighting for the sake of fighting. Children are invariably transported to these worlds to help the creatures battle with evil beings that are trying to jepordise the future of both planets.

My favourite season was the third: Digimon Tamers. Even though the characters were different to those well-established in Seasons 1 and 2, the level of character development was amazing and the story was far more complex. The character stereotypes were far less obvious, which was a welcome retreat from the almost-but-not-quite predictable first two seasons.[/COLOR]

Well I'm not much of a digimon fanatic, but I really like the the series. Especially D. Tamers and D. Frontier. The theme songs are really cool and catchy.
The stories are really creative too.
But I really think that D. Tamers is better. I think that it would be cooler if the characters in D.F. had their own digimon. Y'know, like takato and the others, its really funny if their own digimon fool around and act all ignorant-like.

Guest Lios
i like digimon espicialy 1 and 2 i mean 3 and 4 are great to but i just liked the original characters more just that i never get up early enough to watch it anymore and its not on fox here anymore either its only on abc family so i dont get to see it as often still a great series though

[COLOR=Navy]From now on, please attempt to use proper grammar, capitalization and punctuation. As this post is basically one long run-on sentence, it's quite difficult to read.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Digimon was definatly one of the better fad-type shows made. It was light-years ahead of Pokemon and produced some really great stofries and characters.

Like Solo, I think that Digimon: Tamers was the best season. It had a lot of action, humore, characterization and Beelzemon, the coolest Digimon ever. I'm still running a D:T RPG at Yahoo, in fact; fun stuff.

I'm hoping that someone will release Tamers on DVD. ABC family/Disney own the rights, I believe. (I'm also still looking for the Beelzemon Digi-Warrior, if anyone knows where to find one. ^^; ) [/color][/size][/font]

Guest Izumi Yagami
I really loe the D.Frontier because of the human x digi-spirit evos.

[COLOR=Navy]As Solo said earlier, this really won't cut it; try putting more thought and effort into your posts. Thanks! ^_^

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I used to watch [B]Digimon[/B] a while back. I only watched, and liked, seasons 2 & 3.

I think that season 2 focused on stopping the Emperor, who was actually Ken Kinichi [the school's star soccer player]. He finally became good and "joined" the team ^^

Season 3, they were up against another bad guy [like always] but I forget who. But I think that I mainly enjoyed watching season 3 because it included the original cast from season 1 *^^* It was really good.

Season 4. I stopped. It was strange, plus I didn't like the new characters and story. [/COLOR]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]Izumi, of course you're not the only one who likes Digimon here. ^_^[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]I absolutely love Digimon. I do believe it is one of the greatest Anime's out there. It's the show that got me started with Anime (although I didn't know what Anime was back then, I was only 8...).[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]I particularly enjoy Season's 1 and 2. Season 1 was very good and had very good graphic design (such as, the landscapes and the Digimon and people themselves). My very favorite season was Season 2. It was very entertaining and enjoyable to see new Digidestined take on a new challenge and not just do the same kinds of things (like they do in Pokemon, y'know, fight this monster, beat that monster, fight another monster, beat that monster...etc., etc.).[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]I wasn't too fond of S3, I didn't exactly understand it, probably because I missed half of the episodes because I couldn't find a channel that played Digimon anymore. ;_; S4 is definitely not as good as I thought it would be. It doesn't keep my interest as well as the others did, it's kind of repetive like: find Spirit, fight monster, find new spirit, fight larger and stronger monster, etc, etc.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=#483d8b]Despite my dislike for S3 and S4, I still enjoy watching them. (I finally found a channel that plays Digimon, =] )[/color][/size][/font]

:eek: Lots of Digimon fans in here!!!!!! I love Digimon!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so awesome!!!!! has anyone here seen season four yet? I've seen it twice. :love:

[color=hotpink][size=1]From now on, please work on making your posts longer and adding more thought to them. Your post quality is fine, but the exclamation points are a bit over the top. Just a small reminder. ^_^ *QA*[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
I liked all of the Digimon series although to this day I haven't seen a complete season yet. I even wake up at 5:30 to watch it. What's bad is that the show only has the important events like finding the crests or spirits etc. etc. It doesn't really show how they got from one place to another.

Digimon one of my all time favs. S1 and S2 were awesome. The only reson I liked S3 was because of the devas and the new graphics. At first, i thought it was cool to see humans evolve into digimon(I'm pretty sure I thought of that like a million times before it came on) but then it got boring even though it had lots of drama. Right now, I'm working on a Digimon x Final Fantasy8 RPG right now, if any1 wants to join click on the link in my signature.. I've been looking for all of the names of the 13 royal knights but I can't find them. Please PM me if you know all 13 names. Please and thank you.

[color=#9933ff]Oh.My.GOD! *flips out!* Wai! It's a Digimon thread! I LOVE DIGIMON!!!!!!! WAH! ^_____^

Ken Ichijouji/ The Kaiser (Emperor) is my favorite character of all time. He's at the top of my Bishi list! Oh.MY.GOD! I'm sure some of you older (more like ancient, now, right?) fans remember my obsession with him! I believe my first banner ever was that made in MS Paint, and it said "Can you say Kenanne?" I remember thinking that was THE greatest banner EVER! XD Ken is like... TOTALLY mine (ooohh, remember Ginny, anyone? Lol).

I am SO glad this thread was made. It reminds me of all the great times in the Digimon forum.

I think Devidramon's rants finally convinced me that Season three was the best, and I believe it really is. Like Solo said, the feel was totally different from S1 or S2, and a refreshing change. And the characters all developed quite well, I'd say. The best part was when Myotismon DIDN'T appear. Actually, the best part was the ending. That was absolutely great when Takato, well.... you know, if you saw the last ep. ^^;;;

I loved the way Rika developed, and Henry was just all around awesome. I loved the way Terriermon was so much opposite his personality, too.

The only thing I think was a little too cliched was the hinting of a ryuki (Ryo x ruki/Rika) pairing. Not that I don't like the couple, but I like Jenryuki (Jenrya/Henry x Ruki/Rika) as well. They seem great together, to me.

My second favorite season, was of course 02. It was quite dull, actually, but Davis was such a fab. character, and that's why I liked it so much. He wasn't just comic relief, but man, if you think about he, he's the one who saved the world not being caught in MaloMyotismon's trap. I feel that he got a very bad rap because of the way Kari treated him. If anything, I was mad at her. It seemed to me that she hung out with Davis before TK appeared, and when he got on the scene, she just totally pushed Davis aside. But hey, that's just my opinion. O.-

Sorry if I was so scatterbrained during this post. I'm so excited to see a Digimon thread. DEJIMON FOREVER! ^_^[/color]

Wow, I hated Season 2. The only part I liked was Ken.
[quote name='MistressRoxie']and it said "Can you say Kenanne?"[/quote]
That's scary. Ken reminds me of a friend of mine. And the way you spelt that... so close to my real name... Keane.

I personally seethed whenever I saw Davis. I found him annoying and someone you just want to punch. Something about his personality and his appearance just tore at me. Kari and TK were once cute in the first season but turned annoying in the second. I think they were more fun in the first season.

I liked that they changed universes in the next seasons of Digimon instead of doing what Season 2 did, a continuation. Though I didn't watch those much after the horrors I faced with 02.

I didn't even bother with the american movie.

-ArV

Guest Heezay
Season 3 was the best season of Digimon, period. I haven't seen Season 4, though from what I've heard of it, it's not so good. The characters, Digimon and digivolutions of Season 3 are second to none. Gallantmon Crimson Mode is my favorite Mega Digimon.

Season 1 was probably the next best season, because it was the original. The Myotismon story arc and the Dark Masters story arc were beautiful. I loved the way how tension slowly built up between Tai and Matt throughout the entire season and how that conflict finally came to a head in the episode "The Ultimate Clash".

Season 2 was dumb. There's no getting around it. I thought the Emperor arc was all right, but then things took a turn for the worse when Arukenimon and Mummymon showed up. And BlackWarGreymon. Nothing more annoying than a super-angsty enemy. And the whole Destiny Stones thing was horrible. The Season was slightly redeemed towards the end.

The series finale of Season 3 was perfection. Season 1's was pretty good as well. But words cannot describe the disgustingness of Season 2. I mean, come on, one of the greatest villains of all time getting beaten by someone's ambition to open a [I]bakery[/I]?

Guest SallyCinnamon
My favourites were 01 and 02, definately, and I'm something of a heretic in that I actually [B]liked[/B] the 02 finale. It wasn't exactly epic, but then again, neither is Digimon in general. I was even happy about the people they paired up at the end. Like it or not, Ken and Miyako did look pretty cute together.

I never got into Tamers (again with the heretic thing), it just never appealed to me, and I don't [B]think[/B] Frontier ever aired in Britain. Was it any good?

[COLOR=#503F86]atmasta, I merged your thread with the original Digimon one, seeing as the dicsussion could be continued in here/there.

With regards to Season 2... I liked it because it was a continuation of the first series, but I think it could have been much much better. In its dialogue, its story, its characters, almost everything. I never actually saw the last four episodes until a few weeks ago. Although they were sappy, clicheed and felt somewhat contrived, I have to admit that I did enjoy them. Although that might just have been because I hadn't seen them yet.

I thought BlackWarGreymon was a great character but his potential was never really drawn out- in the end his bits always came off as irritating because the dialogue was so confusing. The Digimon 02 manga (although heavily abridged) takes his character really well, I think. It certainly cuts out a lot of the unnecessary stuff.

I'd love Digimon to return more than any other series I've watched, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. There's nothing really new they can bring to the series: almost everything possible's already been done in terms of general situation and story, save for having Digimon travelling around on their own. But even then, the structure of the enemies would always be the same as those Seasons previous.

We'll have to see, though.[/COLOR]

[quote name='DeathBug][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=#4b0082']I'm hoping that someone will release Tamers on DVD. ABC family/Disney own the rights, I believe. (I'm also still looking for the Beelzemon Digi-Warrior, if anyone knows where to find one. ^^; ) [/quote][/color][/size][/font]
[COLOR=#503F86]Tamers DVDs would be amazing. I was surprised they never released anything past the first 13 episodes of Season 1 on DVD. It would have made sense to bring the rest of it out...

I have a Beelzemon Blast Mode figure, heh. And it's a Japanse one, too. No skimping on paint here. The US releases aren't nearly as detailed... but I don't know where to find another one. I found this one for £4 in a bargain toy shop in Portsmouth, UK. Whether they're still avaliable on the internet I've no idea. If I find anywhere I'll be sure to let you know.[/COLOR]

[quote name='artmasta']I personally liked seasons 1,2, and 3 the best..[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]artmasta, please put more thought into your posts. This is not enough. One-sentence posts are against OtakuBoards rules, which is why I've deleted your post.

It's all very well saying which series you like, but why do you like them? These messages are written to be read, so they might as well be made interesting for everyone else to read.

For the record, you're not supposed to double-post either. I'm not saying you did: I am, because I need to moderate. I just don't want to set a bad example.[/COLOR]

I personally like all Digimon Series, im hoping VIZ or other manga retailers release translated Digimon mangas in america. As far as i know theres 2 mangas, i forgot their name however. I own Digimon: The Movie and Diablomon Strikes Back which doesn't have subs it's completely japanese and i have no idea what their saying. As you can see im a really big Digimon fan or was, i haven't really watched any Digimon since they cancelled it on tv. I watched like 2 eps of Frontier and im currently waiting for Frontier vol. 09 to come in the mail. Also if anybody has any information on the Digimon mangas please send me a PM or something.

[color=crimson][size=1]I never really started getting into Digimon until the end of Season 1 and for most of Season 2. I just really enjoyed Season 2 because you got to see all of the characters from the first season grown up. Mimi was just TOO adorable with her pink hair. She was so precious! I also liked all of the "relationships" that developed. The only thing that irritated me was that [spoiler]Ken and Yolei were the only "digidestined" to actually end up married to one another. Why couldn't Mimi and Matt get together?[/spoiler] Which brings me to another point of irritation. In one episode, it was sort of implied that [spoiler]Sora had a thing for Matt instead of Tai. WHOA. That was so annoying. It was supposed to be SoraxTai and MimixMatt![/spoiler] Am I the only person who agrees with this?

Anywho, as you can see, I never really watched the show for the actual Digimon and their transformations. I like to watch the characters develop and grow. I never really got into season 3 and I haven't even seen season 4. Oh well. ^_^; I guess I kind of had grown out of Digimon by that point.

Gotta love that theme song, though. Heh.[/color][/size]

...I remember when Digimon: Tamers was on the ABC Kids channel or something, and I'd wake up at almost 7:00am or so due to the kittens I was keeping in my room. (how we got them is an even longer story) So, I would always catch the show. =^n.n^=

After a while, I began to wake up my brother to watch it as well. I will always happily remember the vision of us sitting on my bed at the crack of dawn watching the whole season of Digimon and eating chocolate I'd saved that week. =^n_n^=

Anyways, I loved that season. Juri or (Jerry?) was adorible, and Takato with his crush on her was cute too. =^o.o^=

[quote name='teinshu']dude I LOVE digimon it rox and no im not a freak![/quote][COLOR=#503F86]teinshu, this post is simply appalling. I suggest you take a look at the OtakuBoards Rules before you post [i]any[/i] further. Not only is it far too short, the grammar and punctuation are pretty much non-existant. You needto add as much detail as you can to make the posts interesting to read for everyone else.

Since it was spam, I have deleted it. Please put a lot more thought and effort into your future replies.[/COLOR]

I found something that may interest you guys at LELOLA:

[QUOTE]Bandai has announced a new "Digital Monster" project for 2005. At the project's core will be "Digital Monster X-evolution", a new anime to be released in Japan next year.

"Digital Monster X-evolution" is a full length feature done entirely in CG. Hiroyuki Kakudou will direct, while Kazunori Ito and Miwa Kawasaki will write the script. Done entirely in CG, Digital Monster X-evolution will concentrate on the "digital" part of "Digimon".

Along with this new animation, there will be new games, cards, figures, etc. Nothing concrete has been revealed yet about these products, but a game based on "X-evolution" will likely be released sometime in 2005.

"Digital Monsters" was originally introduced by Bandai as a type of "fighting Tamagotchi" handheld game. The first of these handheld games was introduced in 1997 and soon became a hit, selling 13 million units nationwide as of March 2004, and over a million units overseas.

Thanks to Marc Levy and Megchan for this article.
[/QUOTE]

Coolness, eh?

• 1 month later...
Guest Ao-Senshi
Well I really liked Digimon: Tamers. It was what really got me into anime and it was more realistic than the rest. It focused a lot on emmotions and the relationships between the Tamers and the Digimons. The last episode was really very touching and yes, I admit it did make me cry. The words are strong also and the storyline was deep, dark, depressing and...it was just awesome.

Also, Tamers seemed to come from The Matrix. Ruki was originally based on Trinity, their was Matrix Evolution and D-Reaper was kinda like the pink glob thingy in whch Neo woke up in.

Frontiers was also quite cool but they left out the partner thing. The ending of Frontiers was also very sad but fast.

I also like the pairing of Ryo and Ruki in Tamers. lol.

All the seasons were good but [B]I[/B] think that they quite enjoyed making Tamers a lot. I heard from my cousins that season 1 was great, season 2 a bit rushed, tamers was cool (okay thats my opinion now) and frontiers was kinda wierd.

Many people say that Tamers got confusing. Well wasn't Matrix confusing? (Well I didn't understand it very much...) Digimon in general isn't just for younger years. Its for everyone too.

And yes, there will be a season 5, Digimon X-Evolution. There will be whole new characters like Dorumon etc. I look forward to it.