OtakuBoards

Ender's Game

eleanor

[color=firebrick] This is sort of old news, but [b]Ender's Game[/b] is being made into a movie. Specifically, both [b]Ender's Game[/b] and [b]Ender's Shadow[/b] are going to be combined to create one movie that's going to be called [b]Ender's Game[/b]. Phew.[/color]

[i][b]Movie Update - November 1, 2002 [/b]

[b]Ender's Game Director and Studio [/b]
Since Ain't It Cool News is carrying the story, we're certainly not going to deny it here. The director of Ender's Game is Wolfgang Petersen. The studio that is developing it is Warner Brothers. OSC is really happy about both.

The upshot is that all are agreed on a fairly detailed outline of a film that combines Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow in a way that will combine the most important elements of both. Together, the stories make one terrific film.

To fans of the book, OSC offers this reminder: "The movie can't show everything from either book, let alone both. So there will almost certainly be scenes and even plot threads that you cared about which are not present in the film. Fortunately, the books still exist, and so readers will be able to experience those scenes for many years in the future.

"The most important thing for the film, though, is that it be a marvelous movie in its own right, whether you've read the books or not. And I can promise you: If the film we settled on in the past few days' meetings is the film that actually gets made, fans of the books will be very, very happy with it - and so will those who go see the movie without ever having read or even heard of the books."

We will not release details of the film story, however. Not ever. Not nohow. All we'll say is this: Ender is the main character. Bean is also very important and will be a point of view character, too. Both Col. Graff and Mazer Rackham will be major adult roles, and major children's roles will definitely include Petra, Alai, and Bonzo. There will, of course, be many other lesser roles for adults and children.

However, nothing whatsoever will be done about casting or hiring until after the script is finished. The film's release will not be scheduled until the script is fully agreed upon AND the director has finished his next film. So it will certainly be at least two years and more likely three, maybe even four years before the film is released.

Be patient. The longer it takes, the better it's going to be. And in the meantime, we'll try to get some firstrate Ender's Game computer games out on the market so that some of you, at least, can get inside the battle room before the movie is released. [/i]

[color=firebrick]The most recent news is that the writers of [b]X-2[/b] are going to be writing the screenplay for Ender's Game. Orson Scott Card wrote the first draft, and said that: [/color][i]"No matter who writes the script, there are only a hundred and twenty pages available to tell a story that took more than five times that many to tell in novel form. Trying to include everything would make a lousy movie. Something is going to get left out."[/i]

[color=firebrick]Card is also pleased with the assigned screenwriters.[/color] [i]Harris already knew Ender's Game well; Dougherty only read it in preparation for this assignment. "That's an ideal combination," said Card. "One of the team is absolutely familiar with the elements of the story that the most committed fans will expect to see, while the other will be able to make sure it isn't just a movie for people who already love the book." [/i]

[color=firebrick]I personally am very, very, [b]very[/b] excited about this whole thing. I adore Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow and think that if done right, could produce an amazing film. >_> Sad thing is that there isn't even a prediction for when the movie will come out. [/color]

Wow, that is exciting news, and I hadn't heard that before. I loved the books ... they're so ... freaky, though. I can't imagine who would play Ender or Bean themselves. Both of the characters are so mature, but have to look so young, that it'd be really difficult to find a child actor of that caliber.

I've never read Ender's Shadow, but from what I've heard about it, I'm guessing it'll be really cool for both books to be integrated into one film. It's too bad we don't know more about when it's going to be released or anything ...

[color=darkblue]Oh, if only Navi were here.

I recently picked up [i]Children of the Mind.[/i] Haven't started reading it yet, but I have new motivation now.

I am a [i]huge[/i] fan of these books. I am so hyped to see this movie. The books are so intense and superb, I don't see how the movie could possibly live up, but I guess we'll see.

Terra, you ought to read [i]Shadow[/i] as soon as you can. In my opinion, it is a lot more warped and twisted. Bean grew up a lot differently than Ender did. Also, it tells the story from a group dynamic, not from the leader point of view. Even though Bean and Ender are similar personalities, they experience the war in completely different ways.[/color]

[size=1]Awesome! I can't wait tell this gets started! I'v only read Ender's Game, so i'll have to read Ender's Shadow before this comes out (which most likely won't come out till mid/late 2005 or early 2006).
I agree that finding a child actor for this will be difficult, though, I don't think they actually will get a six year old acter. Maybe a short eight year old. They may also have to actors for Ender. A younger one for when he first arrives at the space... military place. and an older one for when he gets into the teams. Though, that would be wierd. [/size]

• 3 weeks later...
I remember reading Ender's Game for summer reading back before 9th grade, and now my brother is reading it for his own summer project. I don't remember too much about the book except that [spoiler]Ender is really young and was recruited as a military genious to destroy the aliens which he thought was a game[/spoiler], and that I really liked it. I never read Ender's Shadow, though I think a friend of mine told me about once. As for the books being made into a movie, I would love to see it but don't want to get my hopes up in case it doesn't turn out so well (can you say Harry Potter?). ^_^