OtakuBoards

My friends manga...

mononoke_man

My friend is working on a new manga called Resident Evil: Silent Night. It's basically a new Resident Evil story, just in a different place, with different characters. It takes place a few days before christmas(hence the name Silent night). The main charactewr is a girl in High School, who's name has not been decided yet. He hasn't really started on the story-line yet, but if you have any ideas, please reply to me.

This sounds really cool. I think my friend would definitly want to read this manga. She's a Resident Evil fan of games and movie. I like movie, but haven't played the game.

In my opinion, tell your friend to start the story where everything was normal until this scary suspence happened. Everyone is gone or something just got loose. Then like after months or years, new people will come and investigate the problem. (to bring the Resident Evil suspence) The storyline is up to your friend.

I agree, this sounds like a really interesting idea!

One thing your friend should make sure to do is build up that suspense like Stephanie mentioned. One of the Resident Evil games I played (I think it was 3? Maybe?) threw my character into this area completely over-populated with zombies, and gave me an assault rifle right at the beginning. What in the world...?! It went from "survival horror" to "completely random and unexplained action." The last thing he should do is give the main character a big gun and have her shoot 56 zombies in the first frame of the manga. Know what I mean?

Considering your main character is from high school I doubt she'd be out investigating a problem with some horrible thing being let loose on a town years ago or something. I think she'd have to be in the middle of the problem as it happens.

Approach it slow, but have enough happening in the beginning to keep the reader captivated. I'm not going to throw out any specific details either, just because it's not my manga. I don't like manga like this, but he should definitely make sure to consider drawing a lot of disgusting stuff, including blood and gore. That's Resident Evil for you...

Hope that helped a bit! ^^

~adempton

[quote name='Nwolf']I think it would be interesting to have the girl wake up in an empty classroom and hear some weird moanings and shuffling outside. Then work from there :D[/quote]

But thats kind fo weird. i mean, wouldn't someone try to wake her up if they were running from zombies?

because. she got knocked out. :)
she doesnt have to be in highschool at moment. these zombies could already be loose and she could be at work in a stock room or something. outside? and something could be happening outside and she knows it.. but doenst know what so she hides. but gets knocked out by a falling object or something.
she can wake up a few hours later and wander out side and either no one is there.. or everyone is dead in a big bloody mess..
or she can randomly wake up and not remember anything and have to regain her memory as to what happened as the story evolves.
he should pair her up with a friend.. probably an older male or female figure that can aid her on battle and help her defeat (if thats the case) or learn to defeat the enemy. survivors is also another option...

How about she comes home from school, and her parents have the news on. And its talking about disappearences of people, or people being found all mangled and bloody. And it could also say that a bunch of guys at an Umbrella Lab were found all manged and bloody too. So what do you think about that? Is it a good idea? :confused:

okibi your idea isn't bad, just a bit predictable. When i suggested what i did it was because it would make things interesting. Why is she in an empty classroom for instance? How did she get there? This is resident evil so there are going to be people who are doing things for there own reasons. and there are going to be people caught in these messes like the girl in this story you mentioned. It tends to make a story more fun to read if the suspense is built up.

The[I] Resident Evil [/I] series always seems to start out in the middle of the plot. Either you have to work back and figure out what happened, or work forward to figure out how to solve the problem and slowly remember. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, the past three RE games I have played... I have woken up in a bloody theme park with amnesia, I have woken up in a grave yard with amnesia, I am breaching into umbrella corp to save the day. In all three you don't know whats going on until later.
Now you can step away from the ordinary and let the reader know whats going on it's happening, or throw them into action on the first page and have them decifer and figure the plot out themself. In that case, Nwolf's idea of the classroom was rather good. Or your idea, which isn't a typical RE beginning. This could make it more interesting, or a total bomb story line. You just have to take what you have, what ideas and such you think will work and start your story. Out input may or may not help, but it is always a good idea to listen to fellow readers because they are the audience.

[B]xoxo[/B]

So, you think it should start off like Silent Hill 3 for example. You know, how the main character just wakes up in a shopping mall and has no idea whats going on or how she got there, or the fact that there is monsters roaming all over the place.

Well don't start it off with chaos. Waking up in a mall to find monsters "all over the place" would be pretty insane I think. Especially if you just have your character wake up in the first frame, we have no idea who she is, why she's in the mall unconscious, etc. If you want to actually make it suspenseful you should have some sort of build-up. I think it was Silent Hill 1 that started with the guy and his daughter on a road-trip somewhere, and then something appeared in front of the car. So he swerved and crashed. When he woke up his daughter was gone, and he wandered into the town... to find it abandoned. And then he discovered the creepy things that resided there. (I've played the game once, [I]years [/I] ago, so I could be totally wrong.) Even if I am wrong with how that particular game started though, that still serves as an example. You can see how you can have it seem happy in the beginning (while introducing your characters), but then everything goes horribly wrong. Some sort of introduction like that would definitely be preferred. Then later on if you decide to put in that crazy action scene in the mall somehow, at least it'll be a little more exciting because the reader will know who she is and how she got there. It would make for a more interesting read... It isn't a video game after all, it's just based on one. ^^

~adempton

what i'm trying to say okibi is start off with unpredictability, :) I mean if the news is reporting all these grizzly murders then wouldn't the cops be out in full force trying to catch the killers? And zombies aren't particulary smart so where would they have been hiding? You could start the story with a outbreak during the middle of the night by a umbrella/mystery person who wants to sabotage the umbrella company or is seeking retribution against the town, etc. There's different ways to achieve the story, just try to think of it from the girls perspective ;)