OtakuBoards

Stargate SG-1 & Stargate Atlantis

Manic Webb

Earlier this year, I discovered a science fiction TV series by the name of [i]Stargate SG-1[/i]. For those of you who've never heard of it, [i]Stargate SG-1[/i] is based off of the 1994 movie, [i]Stargate[/i].

[BACKSTORY]
Read if unfamiliar.

The story centers around an ancient alien device known as the stargate; found buried in ruins in Egypt. The device utilizes some kind of deep-space wormhole technology to send anyone who walks through it to another part of the galaxy-- instantly. The TV series follows a secret United States Air Force exploration team designated 'SG-1', who use the stargate to travel to other planets. What they discover are more human beings-- some transplanted from Earth to these planets to be used as slaves, some transplanted for their own protection. Then come the aliens. Some are good, some are bad. All are ageless, and once posed as the gods in many cultures. SG-1 acquires many things for Earth, including new technology, enemies (Ra, Anubis), allies (Thor, Heimdall), and revelations about the history of the planet Earth.

Then comes the recent spin-off series, [i]Stargate Atlantis[/i]. This synop. will be shorter, I swear.
[spoiler]An international team of scientists have discovered the whereabouts of the lost city of Atlantis, and it's in another galaxy. Using the stargate on Earth, a diplomatic and scientific expedition is launched, led by a negotiator named Dr. Elizabeth Weir. Upon arrival, however, they discover the city (although functioning) is abandoned. On top of that, the stargate in Atlantis doesn't have enough power to reach the Milky Way galaxy, leaving a team of scientists and a small military contingent stranded. What wonders await them in this strange, new galaxy?[/spoiler]

[/BACKSTORY]

So, are there any other 'Gaters out there? What do you think of the current storylines? Any favorite... anything?
Talk amongst yourselves. I give you a topic: Richard Dean Anderson will most likely leave the show at the end of this season. Discuss.

--EDIT--
Added spoilers to the backstory of [i]Stargate Atlantis[/i]. The setup of the series [i]itself[/i] is a spoiler to events that occured in [i]Stargate SG-1[/i].

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a thread about SG1 already, though as the most knowledgeable member of Stargate here on OB it wouldn't have eluded my gaze, and yes I realise how arrogant that sounds. I've been a fan of Stargate since the very beginning with the release of the original movie in the cinema, Kurt Russell and James Spader don't hold a candle to their SG1 counterparts. I've been following and loving SG1 since Season One when it was first aired here in UK and Ireland, the same goes for the newly started (well relatively newly) Atlantis series although I must admit I still prefer SG1 as Sky One airs new episodes of both one after a nother on Tuesday nights.

As for the topic at hand I think that Anderson may slip back into a less active role, [spoiler]his new role as General and head of the SGC giving him less work to do, as well as giving the chance to explore the other main characters more fully.[/spoiler] I personally think he'll stay at that level of activity until SG1 ends which might not be for another while as Michael Greenburg (at least I think it was Greenburg) hinted that if SG1 could do a ninth series then it would be done. Something like that is almost unheard of for a Sci-Fi series, heck ST:TOS only did 3 before calling it quits, although they had 5 great movies (No. 1 stank in mine and the opinions of many fans).

Personally I'd like to see the Stargate series branch out a little more but stay true to it's roots, like Star Trek, go from TOS to TNG to DS9 (forget Voy and Ent), and I honestly think that Stargate has the potential to do so.

[CENTER][B]Topic for Debate:[/B] [/CENTER]

In Stargate Atlantis do you honestly think the [spoiler]Wraith[/spoiler] are as powerful as they're made out to be, I mean the ease at which the Atlantis team beat the tar out of them at each encounter leads me to believe they may not have prevails in combat over the [spoiler]Ancients[/spoiler].[/SIZE]

They clearly don't have the technology to be a challenge to the [spoiler]Ancients[/spoiler]. Major Sheppard took out a handful of their dart ships alone, and he had only learned to pilot the puddle-jumper an hour earlier. Honestly, I think the Atlantis team is just assuming the [spoiler]Wraith are the ones who took out the Ancients[/spoiler]. For all we honestly know, the real enemy of the [spoiler]Ancients[/spoiler] could've been some other threat that the Atlantis have either yet to encounter, or have died out, themselves.

Either way, I like how the [spoiler]Wraith[/spoiler] are put on the back-burner. It gives the Atlantis team a chance to get into some [i]real[/i] conflict with the other human civilizations in the galaxy. They haven't aired any new episodes of either show here in the States since "End Game" and "The Storm." So I've been waiting since September (and will continue to wait until January) to see what happens after the Genii invade.

[quote name='Manic]They clearly don't have the technology to be a challenge to the [spoiler]Ancients[/spoiler]. Major Sheppard took out a handful of their dart ships alone, and he had only learned to pilot the puddle-jumper an hour earlier. Honestly, I think the Atlantis team is just assuming the [spoiler]Wraith are the ones who took out the Ancients[/spoiler]. For all we honestly know, the real enemy of the [spoiler]Ancients[/spoiler'] could've been some other threat that the Atlantis have either yet to encounter, or have died out, themselves.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Quite possible Manic, however my own theory on the subject is that the so called "[I]virus[/I]" unleashed upon [spoiler]the Ancients[/spoiler] may have actually been a biological weapon from [spoiler]the Wraith[/spoiler]. After all this would explain why even with more sophisticated weapons [spoiler]the Ancients[/spoiler] were defeated, though again that's just a theory. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Manic]Either way, I like how the [spoiler]Wraith[/spoiler] are put on the back-burner. It gives the Atlantis team a chance to get into some [i]real[/i'] conflict with the other human civilizations in the galaxy. They haven't aired any new episodes of either show here in the States since "End Game" and "The Storm." So I've been waiting since September (and will continue to wait until January) to see what happens after the Genii invade.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Bah I had to wait until two weeks ago to just seen the introduction of the Genii, as well as a sweet appearance by Colm Meaney, I've read the previews to all the forthcoming episodes and they seem to be rather interesting. I do enjoy the fact that in Atlantis it's not just your run of the mill evil-tyrannical-aliens trying to conquer humanity. The inclusion of combat between humans and well as the development of friendship is good, reminds me of some of the better Asgard/Human episodes of SG1.[/SIZE]

I just read some news that [i]Farscape[/i]'s Ben Browder will be joining [i]Stargate SG-1[/i]'s ninth season. There's no news on what kind of character he'll be playing, although I think he'll be casted as a series regular. This could mean he'll become the [spoiler]4th member of SG-1, what with Jack off the team now that he's a General.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Manic]I just read some news that [i]Farscape[/i]'s Ben Browder will be joining [i]Stargate SG-1[/i]'s ninth season. There's no news on what kind of character he'll be playing, although I think he'll be casted as a series regular. This could mean he'll become the [spoiler']4th member of SG-1, what with Jack off the team now that he's a General.[/spoiler][/quote]

[size=1]Perhaps, although that's the first I've heard on the subject. I personally think that [spoiler]SG1 will remain as a three-man team, there really isn't any need to increase it's size with a new character.[/spoiler] In saying that though anything would happen as [spoiler]Daniel and Anubis are meant to have another unhindered Ancient-powered battle, something which is going to be very interesting to watch.[/spoiler][/size]

[color=#002E55]Hated the movie but I'm a big fan of both series, heh.

In terms of Atlantis :

[spoiler]I think that the Wraith are people who came across technology used by another race - the people who killed the Ancients in the first place. They might be in the same situation as the current Atlantis team, only having utilised and mastered a few of the technologies they discovered.

The Wraith might have been a rather primitive race who stumbled across technology and learned to use it, slowly. Whereas humans have far more experience with new and old technology as a whole.[/spoiler]

[/color]

[QUOTE=Red][color=#002E55]In terms of Atlantis :

[spoiler]I think that the Wraith are people who came across technology used by another race - the people who killed the Ancients in the first place. They might be in the same situation as the current Atlantis team, only having utilised and mastered a few of the technologies they discovered.

The Wraith might have been a rather primitive race who stumbled across technology and learned to use it, slowly. Whereas humans have far more experience with new and old technology as a whole.[/spoiler][/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Maybe that's always been one of my back-up theories, although in the show the fact that [spoiler]the Wraith ships have been in hibernation that long suggests that they are in fact the original antagonists of the Ancients.[/spoiler] However in saying that they may have done a Goa'uld [spoiler]and stole most of their technology from other races, which would explain why the Wraith simply cannot overcome Ancient shields or weapons.[/spoiler] [/SIZE]

What bothers me is that [spoiler]the Ancients apparently left the Milky Way several million years ago, but came back roughly 10,000 years ago. If the Wraith are native to the Pegasus galaxy, that would mean the Ancients were at war with them for [i]millions[/i] of years before they turned back, sank their city, and set up camp again on Earth (where they started the myth of the lost city of Atlantis, and eventually ascended).[/spoiler]

In the first episode, [spoiler]the Ancient hologram Dr. Beckett found said that they thought the galaxy was completely lifeless, until they found the enemy that wiped the floor with them. So what were the Wraith feeding off of before the Ancients deposited humans across the galaxy? Animals? But when the Atlantis Expedition team captured a Wraith (nicknamed "Steve"), they said he rejected every animal they threw at him. So if the Wraith don't feed off of animals, and they hibernate every 500 years, could they have really existed in the Pegasus galaxy before the Ancients arrived?[/spoiler]