OtakuBoards

Monopoly [PG-L]

Manic Webb

This is a little "short" about a team of superheroes I made up (they currently occupy a story I've been trying to write for the past few years). This story takes place during one of their moments of "downtime."

This is partially based on a true story that happened to me and a few other people one night.

[center][b][u]CHARACTERS[/u][/b][/center]

[b]CYRUS JAZZ / THE PALADIN[/b]
A half-human/half-alien with empathic and telekinetic powers. Currently dating Angie Martin.

[b]ANGIE MARTIN / LADY MAGE[/b]
A budding sorceress and current leader of the team. Also dating longtime friend, Cyrus.

[b]IAN CHAN[/b]
Journalist. Retired superhero, master martial artist, and beginner sorcerer. Former leader of the team. Currently engaged to Andie.

[b]ANDRALYN "ANDIE" LEE[/b]
Professional comic book artist. Expectant mother, and Ian's fiance.

[b]AARON[/b]
Professional demon hunter. Erin's twin brother.

[b]ERIN[/b]
Professional demon hunter and avid gamer. Aaron's twin sister.

[b]S.I.D.[/b]
An android molded to look and act completely human. Owned by Cyrus.

-----------------------------------------

[size=1][b][center]Monopoly[/center][/b]

[i]The team enters Cyrus and Angie's apartment after battling a fierce foe. Hearing the commotion, Andie and Ian exit their apartment upstairs, and join the rest of the team just before they close the door.

6:21pm.[/i]

[b]Ian:[/b] So how was the battle against the rogue wizard?
[b]Aaron:[/b] Tedious.
[b]Erin:[/b] Annoying.
[b]Angie:[/b] Total wimp.
[b]SID:[/b] Certain varieties of magic no longer intrigue me.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] Someone remind me to never read any books on scrying and casting all of my spells by drawing large symbols on the ground.
[b]SID:[/b] Affirmative.
[b]Ian:[/b] We went to a prenatal class.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] And suddenly my day doesn't sound so bad.
[b]Andie:[/b] The classes aren't that bad.
[b]Ian:[/b] ...said the pregnant one.
[i]Andie nudges Ian with her elbow.[/i]
[b]Angie:[/b] I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking to kick off my shoes--
[b]Cyrus:[/b] --I'll get the air freshener--
[b]Angie:[/b] --and catch up on some quality time with my first love.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] Me?
[b]Angie:[/b] Primetime television.
[b]Erin:[/b] No! Come on! Let's do something. We never hang out together.
[b]Aaron:[/b] That's because we have better things to do.
[b]Erin:[/b] No we don't.
[b]Aaron:[/b] Yes we do.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] No you don't. ([i]Aaron turns to Cyrus[/i]) I'm a freaking psychic. I know the only reason you ever bolt after a fight is 'cause you're afraid we'll find out you don't have a personality.
[b]SID:[/b] Aaron's lack of sociable traits is common knowledge. ([i]everyone turns to SID[/i]) I've been practicing humor at the expense of others.
[b]Erin:[/b] Right. You guys got any board games?
[b]Angie:[/b] I think we've got Monopoly in the closet. Rus?
[b]Cyrus:[/b] ([i]concentrating[/i]) It's on its way to the kitchen table.
[b]Angie:[/b] And the kitchen table?
[b]Cyrus:[/b] Already being unfolded. ([i]to the others[/i]) It's a collapsible.
[i]Everyone walks over to the table, which is being moved out of the kitchen and into the living room for more space.[/i]
[b]Ian:[/b] I call the car.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] I get the hat.
[b]Angie:[/b] Man on the horse.
[b]Andie:[/b] Thimble.
[b]SID:[/b] I'd prefer to have the iron.
[b]Erin:[/b] Gimme the shoe.
[b]Aaron:[/b] I guess I'll use the dog, then.
[b]Erin:[/b] Who gets to be the banker?
[b]SID:[/b] I am programmed to calculate the speed and velocity necessary for a standard space shuttle to exit the atmospheres and gravitational pulls of 2,462 known planets in the galaxy using a minimal amount of fuel. I will be the banker.
[i]Everyone sits down[/i]
[b]Angie:[/b] Okay, I'm sure we all know the rules, but we have a few custom rules of our own. First of all, we have the Free Parking rule.
[b]Erin:[/b] What's that?
[b]Ian:[/b] Basically, whenever you pay taxes, you place the money under the Free Parking square. Whoever lands there first gets to keep the money for themself.
[b]Angie:[/b] It's good for getting the near-bankrupt out of a tight spot.
[b]Erin:[/b] What are the rest of your rules?
[b]Angie:[/b] We can make any bargains or deals we want.
[b]SID:[/b] I will retrieve the psionic inhibitor.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] Hey!

[i]6:33pm[/i]

[b]Cyrus:[/b] I already have Boardwalk. Please! Please! Let me buy Park Place!
[b]Andie:[/b] No, I think I'll be taking it for my own.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] No!!
[b]Andie:[/b] Of course, I could sell it to you...
[b]Cyrus:[/b] How much?
[b]Andie:[/b] Three times the mortgage rate.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] Screw you.
[b]Ian:[/b] Too late.
[i]Ian and Andie laugh.[/i]

[i]8:05pm[/i]

[b]Angie:[/b] Well well well. Look who just landed on Baltic Ave. Pay up, robot boy.
[b]SID:[/b] It seems I have insuffient funds.
[b]Angie:[/b] You could sell me one of your utilities.
[b]SID:[/b] That would be an uneven exchange. I am willing to give you temporary co-ownership of Water Works if you waive my fee.
[b]Angie:[/b] Deal.

[i]10:45[/i]

[b]Ian:[/b] Honey, it's getting a little late. In your condition, you really should get some rest.
[b]Andie:[/b] What's the matter, hon? Tired me kicking everybody's ass?
[b]Ian:[/b] Just go to bed.
[b]Andie:[/b] I'll go to bed when I own every thin dime in this game.

[i]12:01am[/i]

[b]Aaron:[/b] Don't some of you guys have jobs to go to in the morning?
[b]Angie:[/b] I'll call in sick.
[b]Ian:[/b] I'll drink a lot of coffee when I get there.
[b]Andie:[/b] I'll tell them it's a pregnancy thing.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] I'll telepathically slip into a form of conscious sleep when I get there.

[i]2:17am[/i]

[b]Erin:[/b] I swear to god, Andie, I will whip every last dime out of your hand like a Belmont, and turn every piece of property in your hands to dust like Buffy.
[b]Aaron:[/b] Oh God! Erin, you need sleep. You're comparing yourself to fictional vampire killers.
[b]Erin:[/b] Your bank account will be blacker than Wesley Snipes in Blade! In Blade!!

[i]2:55am[/i]

[b]SID:[/b] I require no sleep, yet I am still at a disadvantage.

[i]3:52am[/i]

[b]Ian:[/b] Oh, come on! I'm your husband! Can't you loan me a cool fifty until someone lands on my piece of property?
[b]Andie:[/b] You mean the only property left that you haven't sold?
[b]Ian:[/b] Yeah, that one.
[b]Andie:[/b] I will do this thing you ask, but one day I may ask a favor of you.

[i]4:15am[/i]

[b]Angie:[/b] Okay, I just passed Go. Who do I still owe money to?
[b]Andie:[/b] One hundred, right here.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] Fifty.
[b]SID:[/b] Twenty-five dollars.
[b]Aaron:[/b] Twenty-five here, too.
[b]Angie:[/b] Damnit.

[i]4:44am[/i]

[b]Cyrus:[/b] Free Parking! I'd dance in celebration, but I lost feeling in my ass hours ago. Andie, I'd like to buy back Boardwalk.
[b]Andie:[/b] I'm feeling generous, so I'll let you have it back for the base mortgage price... plus an additional ten percent.
[b]Cyrus:[/b] Bitch.

[i]5:03am[/i]

[b]Erin:[/b] Van Helsing! ([i]falls asleep[/i])
[b]Aaron:[/b] ([i]poking Erin[/i]) I call her property. I'm her next of kin; I'm pretty sure I can do that sort of thing.

[i]6:21am[/i]

[b]SID:[/b] Query: Is anyone still awake?
[i]Everyone is sound asleep, with the exception of Andie, who can barely keep her eyes open.[/i]
[b]Andie:[/b] As the only one awake with a lot of money, I... declare myself... uh... stuff. ([i]falls asleep[/i])

[b]SID:[/b] This victory would be 'sweet' if I was programmed to display pride. ([i]shuts down[/i])[/size]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]Lol. That was really fun to read. I've always expected superheroes to do silly stuffs during their downtime.

I love your characters. I hope we can read your story soon. ^_^[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I really enjoyed that Manic, the characters are all great but I have a soft spot for S.I.D. because he reminds me of Data from Star Trek. I definitely agree with Hevn, you'd think Superheroes would do something a little more out of the ordinary in their spare time, but they're all human I suppose, well except for Cyrus of course. The narrative is brilliant and you really do get a feel for the characters, and their little quirks. S.I.D.'s final line though has to be the best, you've just got to love Android humour. [/SIZE]