OtakuBoards

England is such a bore :(

Guest Eikoviva

Guest Eikoviva
I've lived in england all my life and we hardly get any anime or manga over here!!! Does anyone know of any conventions i can go to? the last one sed i had to be over 16 *cries* Does anyone else come from england on here? :animestun

[quote name='Eikoviva']I've lived in england all my life and we hardly get any anime or manga over here!!! Does anyone know of any conventions i can go to? the last one sed i had to be over 16 *cries* Does anyone else come from england on here? :animestun[/quote]

You might wanna remember to make your subjects more specific to what you are looking for in the future (like mentioning that you are looking for anime cons it whatever area) ^^

I'm not from England XD;; But I did a search on anime conventions and this is what I came up with

[url]http://www.ayacon.org.uk/[/url]

[url]http://www.minamicon.org.uk/[/url]

[url]http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/%7Eams/eirtakon/[/url]

I found most of them on this site

[url]http://www.ryouko.demon.co.uk/ukcons.htm[/url]

Hope that helps ^^;

[COLOR=DarkOrange]most anime convention do let people of all ages in...so you dont need to worry about it... :catgirl: :animesmil
I read that all of England is that way...they recieve little or no anime
but only the older ones...am i right...hope so!
but i envy you...i have always wanted to go/live in England.... :animesigh

TwoMoons[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]But just look at the bright side of living in England: at least it isn't flooded with fat chicks.[/QUOTE]

True. But then again it doesnt Have Multiple Boxset anime, Hundreds of Interesting locations, Vast amounts of wealth to be spent on something OTHER than the royle family... (Goes off to rant at innocent bystanders)

EDIT: I should mention Ive lived in England all my life and to be honest dont see much going for it ( then again i dont get out much :D )

England is the worst place to live if you're an anime/manga fan. i can barely get my hands on anything, and the ONE anime superstore we have WON'T ACCEPT MY TYPE OF DEBIT CARD!!!!!!!!

damn it all.

as for conventions, i can't find any anywhere. so if anyone knows of any, let me in on the knowledge please.

This does not bode well for me ... I'm moving to England in a few months.

Thankfully my sister has a multi region DVD player (so we can play region 4 (aus) and region 2 (uk))

I guess I'll be importing anime from the US. Not such a bad thing as there is a lot available in the US that is not available in Aus.
It's sad though that it seems no one in the UK has picked up on what a big market it could be.

[COLOR=Blue]Anime has a small cult following in England. It's not as big as it is here, I'm afraid. You may have to import it from offline or somthing. On the bright side, one of my favorite animes "Hellsing" takes place in England. The guy who did it, must of did alot of research on England, France, the Vatacin, and Proenstent churches. Watching the dubbed version of "Hellsing" makes more sense then the Japanese track, because the people of the UK don't all speak fluant Japanese. I always wanted to go to the UK. A freind of mine lives there. And I can bother people with my MONTY PYTHON impressions. (Joking. I'm joking.)

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[quote name='Eikoviva']I've lived in england all my life and we hardly get any anime or manga over here!!! Does anyone know of any conventions i can go to? the last one sed i had to be over 16 *cries* Does anyone else come from england on here? :animestun[/quote]
I've lived in England all of my life too (all 38 1/2 years of it!) and it isn't as bad here now as it used to be! There are far more UK releases now than ever (including boxsets) and although it isn't perfect, it's much much better, I can assure you!! I've been an anime fan for almost 13 years!

You won't be able to go to the Aya convention if you're under 16, but you will be able to go to Minami Con but the likelihood of there being any places left is pretty much zero (they fill up within weeks of the bookings for the next year, so 2006 will probably be full already!).

If you want more info on anime in the UK, you could try the animeuknews website (it's .co.uk). There is info on all anime releases in the UK plus any other anime news relating to the UK.

I come from Ireland and there next to none anime conventions here but getting your hands on anime isn't that hard I mostly get mine from HMV Virgin and comic shops.

Try looking for stundent cinemas near you theres one near me queens film theater and it shows alot of anime it usually has anime weeks!! I saw Cowboy Bepbop the movie there.

Also if theres any film festivels happening go to them cause they always show anime even if its just one but over here usally 15+ are mostly show but the demand over here would be more teenagers plus

maybe england is bad, but holland is definatly worse. trust me i've lived here allmost my whole live :D in england you have more chance of getting your hands on manga, because the america comics don't need translating. here they do, so finding them is a bugger.

as for cons, there are only two that i know of in this country a year. i went to 1 last year which was great, but there both at the other side of the country :animecry: i can hardly get to them.

the international film festival in rotterdam (which is quit near me) did show anime among other things, so maybe that's an option for you

[QUOTE]Anime has a small cult following in England. It's not as big as it is here, I'm afraid. You may have to import it from offline or somthing. On the bright side, one of my favorite animes "Hellsing" takes place in England. The guy who did it, must of did alot of research on England, France, the Vatacin, and Proenstent churches. Watching the dubbed version of "Hellsing" makes more sense then the Japanese track, because the people of the UK don't all speak fluant Japanese. I always wanted to go to the UK. A freind of mine lives there. And I can bother people with my MONTY PYTHON impressions. (Joking. I'm joking.)[/QUOTE]

Heh, monty python is what makes england famous, alongside crappy weather. as for the thing about the small cult following, Wihin 100 miles of where i am now sitting, there are three anime fans. so yeah, our cult of hardcore fans is about as small as tony blair's concience.

[quote name='Silpheed][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]C'mon, everyone knows that England doesn't get alot of Anime and Manga because it takes so long to put those 'u' in the middle of like EVERY word![/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
waht on earth are you talking about? we don't have 'u' in the middle of every word.

That's a shame that England doesn't have much anime or manga. Ironically after anime British TV series are my favirote. I love their comedies like Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances and Allo Allo. Hopefully you can get what you want online. I often have to do that here. Although Anime and Manga are available at a few stores, it's not super popular here so quite often I have to order what I want either directly from the publisher or from amazon.com.

i mean we have a couple of shops where you can buy anime, but you can only get things like excel saga and gundam wing. the guy i spoke to hadn't even heard of inu yasha or any of the others i mentioned. damn stupid britain. we have hardly any anime, and yet we're the only country on the face of the earth to be called "great"?

there is a lack of people in the uk that like anime I found at least 20 people like it in my school but as its an all girl school the topics of conversation range from sailor moon to fruit baskets! :animedepr and most guys I know that like anime are 5 year old boys who wanna be a pokemon master :animesigh

Guest Desi_Rakshasi
You could always try the internet! You can practically anything on that thing. :P Just google anime and I bet you'd find billions of awesome anime stores online that you could get sent to you in England. Unless you've already tried that, which you probably have... Oh, and about the cons... you're not alone. I live in the U.S. but none of them come to Michigan so it's really boring! :animesigh

I really don't know what you're talking about. Everyone in my year at school is an anime fan and several in other years ( plus some teachers). Even though I live in reading, which isn't a particularly big town we have a great anime shop, and I never really have a problem getting a hold of what I want. SUre the releases are a little later, but you can always download them and buy the dvds later.

i am so jealous of you :animecry: last year i spoke to someone at the animecon, who's studing japanese. He said that in his year there were only like 3 other animefans! you'd think there'd be a lot more, wouldn't you!
I know about 4 other people around here how are also like manga. 2 of them are my brothers friends and the other 2 classmates i don't get along with.
all i can say is long live the internet! otherwise i'd really have nobody to talk to about anime ;)

[quote name='Desi_Rakshasi']You could always try the internet! You can practically anything on that thing. :P Just google anime and I bet you'd find billions of awesome anime stores online that you could get sent to you in England. Unless you've already tried that, which you probably have... Oh, and about the cons... you're not alone. I live in the U.S. but none of them come to Michigan so it's really boring! :animesigh[/quote]
yeah well, the ONLY anime superstore website i've found is crap simply for the reason that it won't accept my kinda card. and as for downloading anime. what can i download on a 38.8kbps connection?

[COLOR=blue]Connection speed isn't really an issue when you are watching something weekly. However, that difference in speed really adds up when you download in bulk (i.e., an entire season/series at once). Also, you might not download movies all that often, since they range from 700 MBs to 4 GBs.

So, if you are willing to sit down and watch only 1-3 episodes per week of an anime, a 38.8kbps connection is more than good enough.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]Connection speed isn't really an issue when you are watching something weekly. However, that difference in speed really adds up when you download in bulk (i.e., an entire season/series at once). Also, you might not download movies all that often, since they range from 700 MBs to 4 GBs.

So, if you are willing to sit down and watch only 1-3 episodes per week of an anime, a 38.8kbps connection is more than good enough.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
yeah well, i still gotta find somewhere to download from. as i have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE where to download anime from.