OtakuBoards

Write a Novel in a Month

DeathBug

I've read the most interesting book at work, and I'm quite excited about the prospect it introduces. "No Plot? No Problem!" is an outline of writing a 50,000 word novel in the span of one month, by cutting away frivilous activities for a time, and imposing a deadline upon yourself.

I've decided to use the principles in this book to finally complete a draft of my pet project, "The Sol Chronicals". (Search the archieves of this site if you want to see an earlier, unfinished draft.)

Would any other aspiring noelists like to take the plunge with me? From June 1 to June 30 will be a busy time.

I'm assuming you meant 50,000 [i]word[/i] novel - a 50,000 [i]page[/i] novel is quite insane, and highly unlikely.

Anyway, I've been working on a novel for probably more than a year now, I guess; somewhere along there. Anyway, I've got 20,000 words thus far, approximately, and I plan to get at least 50,000.

I don't know that I'd jump into this with you, though. I've got a deadline set for myself to finish this novel by the end of the year, which should be easier considering summer's coming along (even though I'll be working etc. I'll have more time, or so I hope). At this point it is getting harder to write the novel, because I just don't know where I want to go specifically next with it. I mean, I know what it wants to be in the long-term, but I need to take some time getting there and make it more fleshed out.

I'm always writing a novel, but I usually get bored with them or sick of my unbearable excuses for word-weaving and never look at them again.

Honestly, I would love to "take the Buggie plunge" but I have exams coming up and myriad other time-eaters flitting around me all at once.

I'd love to see what you turn out, regardless, however. : )

That is a strict deadline to finish in only a month. Something that would give me a lot of trouble because there is only about 4 hours or so of free time in my days since I'm always active and about. I'm lucky to press for a chapter every two weeks or so and they're cut short if I want to finish in time.

Sounds like somehting I would do though. Sounds fun actually.

[quote name='Mitch]I'm assuming you meant 50,000 [i]word[/i] novel - a 50,000 [i]page[/i'] novel is quite insane, and highly unlikely. [/quote]

Nah, you just gotta' find a big enough font size. ^^;

Typo corrected.

[quote name='SadBlue']Sounds interesting. I don't supposed it's againts the rules to repeat the words "Screw Flanders" the last 30,000 words, is it?[/quote]

[font=arial narrow][size=2]Ahah..yes. XP

Anyway, write a novel in a month is not a new thing. NaNoWriMo is quite a huge thing in most writing-based forums. The website for it can be found [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/]here[/url] and has an FAQ and such to look at. Oh, wait -- The author of [i]No Plot? No Problem![/i] is actually the founder of NaNoWriMo! I think it's definately a great idea and would be fantastic to get on board this year. NaNoWriMo starts on November 1st and is register-able in October. If you are going to try it, I would recommend doing it with NaNoWriMo, simply because then there'll be thousands of other people going through the same torment as you.

I myself think I might just do it this year, because November is when it all winds down -- my last school day is on November 4th, and then I have exam block for a week and I'm done. It'd be a fantastic [and hellish] way to end my schooling life. ^.^"

But, yeah, the thought of writing a novel in a month is daunting, but doable. So if you want to do it now, in June, then I definately suggest it and you have my 100% support![/size][/font]