OtakuBoards

Best Anime Girl Tournament R1 M14: Helba (.hack) vs. Nyu/Lucy (Elfen Lied)

Bloodseeker

Round 1 Match 14  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1 Match 14

• Helba (.hack//SIGN)
    • Lucy/Nyu (Elfen Lied)

The mysterious chick with a big... errr, "helmet" vs. the needlessly brutal diclonius and the knight that says "nyu".

My only rule is to not spam up these threads. Don't just post the character that you voted for's name. If you're going to say who you voted for, then explain why you voted for who you voted for, even if that explanation is just quoting someone that shares your sentiments. It doesn't need to be complicated. Even something as simple as "I voted for Asuka because she has a lot more spunk than Rei" or "I voted for Asuka because she has a lot of spunk" will work. So long as it has more substance than "Asuka" or "Asuka's better", its fine.

Who'll win? Probably Helba, unfortunately. She was a popular character in the .hack games, or at least she seemed popular on the Game FAQs boards. Maybe my argument will sway a few people? (or maybe this board has enough Elfen Lied fans)

Helba (.hack//SIGN)
[img]http://img263.echo.cx/img263/3699/helba9zz.jpg[/img]
(if anyone's got a better picture, feel free to post it or PM me)

vs.

Nyu/Lucy (Elfen Lied)
[img]http://img263.echo.cx/img263/6793/anime45sz.jpg[/img]
(Big Round Eyes = Nyu; Small Intense Eyes = Lucy)

This isn't a hard choice at all. Helba really didn't even have a character. Her character was being mysterious and talking to people as if she looked down on them. That's it. There was never a huge revelation of her character, never a look at her orgins, nothing was done to tell you anything about her at any point in the main series or the games. The only thing that you can figure out is that she's the head of a group of hackers. (see Liminality)

As you might have guessed, Nyu/Lucy are two personalities living in the same body. Nyu is one of those characters that start off with the mind of a child and slowly develope. (I'm guessing that she developes) If you've seen Chobits or Najica, you know what I'm talking about. She's one of the few anime characters that I'd actually classify as "cute". Lucy, on the hand, is a killer, and a really brutal one at that. She's made a habbit of tearing off people's limbs with her vectors. (vectors are basically high-frequency invisible hands attatched to 2-meter long arms) Not that I mind! :D The only thing that the two have in common is that they both seem to have feelings for the main character.

Maybe looks might have been harder to decide if Helba wasn't wearing that stupid waste bin on her head. Besides, how can you resist that cute face? Nyu's way better loolking!

Nyu/Lucy, hands down!

In this match I am going to have to side overwhelmingly with Lucy. I have watched both .Hack//Sign as well as the Legend of the Twilight Bracelet, and both were good series' on their own merits. But I have not played any of the .Hack games, and in the animes Helba plays a very small, one sided background role. So theres really not enough substance there for Helba's character to pick her over Lucy. And like Bloodseeker said "There was never a huge revelation of her character, never a look at her orgins, nothing was done to tell you anything about her..."

On the other hand. I have watched Elfen Lied several times through and one of the things that i liked most about Nyu/Lucy is that even though they are the same person, each personality is the exact polar opposite of the other. Nyu is very innocent and infantile, but also very caring and generous. Then on the other side Lucy is very deeply tormented, was very violent and filled with anguish and remorse, while still a good person deep down. Another thing that i liked, is that later in the series you come to learn that [spoiler]When Lucy first meets Kouta during her childhood, her personality is essentially a combination of both Nyu and (adult) Lucy.[/spoiler]

Count another vote for Nyu/Lucy.

[QUOTE=QuincyArcher]I have watched Elfen Lied several times through and one of the things that i liked most about Nyu/Lucy is that even though they are the same person, each personality is the exact polar opposite of the other. Nyu is very innocent and infantile, but also very caring and generous. Then on the other side Lucy is very deeply tormented, was very violent and filled with anguish and remorse, while still a good person deep down. Another thing that i liked, is that later in the series you come to learn that [spoiler]When Lucy first meets Kouta during her childhood, her personality is essentially a combination of both Nyu and (adult) Lucy.[/spoiler]

Count another vote for Nyu/Lucy.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Agree completely.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Bloodseeker'](vectors are basically high-frequency invisible hands attatched to 20-meter long arms)[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Where did you get 20 meters from? That's pretty freaking long. I thought that Lucy's vectors were only 2 meters long. Nana's were a bit longer, and then there was Mariko. I won't talk about her for those who haven't seen it.[/COLOR]

[quote name='boxybrown305][COLOR=DarkRed']Where did you get 20 meters from? That's pretty freaking long. I thought that Lucy's vectors were only 2 meters long. Nana's were a bit longer, and then there was Mariko. I won't talk about her for those who haven't seen it.[/COLOR][/quote]

You're right. I blame it on the tiredness and too much caffiene!

Who the heck is Helba?!!! On account of not knowing who the heck the other girl is, I vote for Lucy, because I know Elfen Lied, I've seen the first three eps...and what's with that band helmet on her head, it look s like a coffee can :animesmil ...Auughh!!! She peed on the floor again...somebody get a towel!!

You guys really need to play the .hack games! Pick up the first one. Its a good guage for all of them, seeing as how the only thing that really changes between them are slight (yet noticable) differences in AI and a much harder challenge in OUTBREAK and QUARANTINE. (I hate the enemies with immunity to regular attacks!)

Helba is a constant factor in the games... she shows up on the regular basis throughout all of them. Yet despite that, the only things that you learn about her are what I said earlier. Well, that, and that her and CC Corp (that is the name of the company that runs The World, right?) don't seem to get along.

Anyways, its great that she's getting flattened by Nyu! :animesmil That would have been ridiculous if the no-character beat the cool character... Glad to see that the shallow fanbase doesn't exist here!

[COLOR=blue]Just so everything's fair, shouldn't you not have pictures that put one character in better light than the other? Like here, you have a profile shot of Helba, while you have a collage of Nyu/Lucy.

I doubt anyone is influenced, but if someone's not familiar with the other character and they have a terrible picture, it's not going to be fair. I'm not all that fond of Helba anyway, so don't think I'm saying this out of spite. Just a friendly suggestion, heh.[/COLOR]

If you can find me a better pic of Helba, I'll be happy to replace the one that I posted. I don't like it either.

Seriously, the only other pics that I found of Nyu/Lucy were pics of Nyu in her joker hat (I would have set that thing ablaze if I were Kouta... stupid Yuka), pics from the opening (which don't say anything about the character), and group pics (I'm trying to avoid those during round 1). Besides, that pic kills two birds with one stone... you can tell a lot about both sides of the character just by looking at it.

[COLOR=Green]umm... wow i [U]almost[/U] feel weird posting this... :animeshy: lol, i voted for helba, mainly because i havent seen the other character, umm, ya, and i like helbas picture more, as a strait female. i have played the first ./hack game (Infection), and i guess her mysterious and "minor" personality stood out, for me, im like that... very strange... lol and unique! :animestun [/COLOR]

• 1 month later...