OtakuBoards

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Guest cecilia rose

Guest cecilia rose
[COLOR=DarkGreen]ya, does nebody like this anime?? i know its for childern and stuff, but i have read the manga intended for teenagers, and i think its great! naturally, my favorite character is cecilia!! :animesmil [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503F86]I'm going to leave this thread open, but only because we don't have another Yu-Gi-Oh anime thread open.

I don't mean to sound harsh- I understand that you're new cecilia, but please try to include a little more detail when starting a thread about a specific anime- main characters, the premise, your opinions of the anime, anything you can think of (although I'm sure most people already know what Yu-Gi-Oh's about anyway, it's always helpful to start a discussion).

Personally, I rather grew out of Yu-Gi-Oh. I was really into it around the Battle City/Tower sagas, but it just dragged on for far too long. I couldn't stomach the five episode long duels which had a blatantly predictable outcome anyway. If it could have been moved along much quicker then I'm sure I'd still watch it. After a while the 4Kids' dub voices started irritating me too. Thank God they got rid of that first Tristan, though. That [i]really[/i] grated.

I'm interested in seeing the last episodes to see how it turns out, but I lost patience trying to sit through it all. And of course, having it heavily sanitised didn't help the feel of the show and the constant flashbacks being added in were annoying too. Just made the experience a whole lot slower...

I do like the character designs, and I play the card game fairly infrequently, but in all I've rather grown bored with it.[/COLOR]

I don't know anything about the manga (except it seems most people like it better than the anime.) But I do watch the anime. I used to watch it because I really did want to know what happed next, but now I'm not sure. Perahps its a combination of a very old habbit and the fact that I never did hate repitious stuff anyway. Although the Waking the Dragons part did seem a bit new. Not the bad guy tries to control/destroy earth part, but because of the reasons. At least I THOUGHT it was different, 'till it was shown that Darts really was good, which sounds alot like Marik. (Here I was hoping that he really was thinking that the human race was evil, but he was just possesed.) I almost decided to quite right there, but as they say, "Old habits die hard." Besides, now that thats out of the way, I'd finnaly like to see the Spirit of the Millenium Ring play his hand.
Its gotten so monotonous now that I hope he wins, just to shake things up. Thats it for me.

Yu-Gi-Oh! (King of Games) is a series created by Kazuki Takahashi in 1997. It ran in Shounen Jump until last year I believe.

I've been following the series for I'm not sure how long, but a year longer than it has been here in North America. I liked the manga for a while, but was turned off from the fact that it was either in Japanese, Chinese, or French.

There were actually TWO series for Yu-Gi-Oh! Not SEASONS but SERIES. The first series had a better voice actors, but crappier animation. It was also darker and involved less card games.

In that series Yugi was really king of games, not just king of Duel Monsters.

I think the best part of the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise was the movie. Not the one that came out in theaters in the United States, but the half hour movie from the first series. It involved Read Eyes Meteor Dragon I think... >.<

I stopped paying attention to the series when it became too popular in the United States. All the misconceptions and "know-it-all" 12 year olds were pissing me off.

-ArV

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I like to watch first season digimon every once in awhile, but I don't have cable. I really like Yugi-oh! But don't like the very LONG duels. (Except the ones with Kaiba.) Hm, I like the whole egyptian story behind it. Although I do enjoy Yugi-oh! fanfics more. :animesmil If you can't enjoy simple things in life, then life sure is going to be complicated and unenjoyable. [/FONT] [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=r2vq]
There were actually TWO series for Yu-Gi-Oh! Not SEASONS but SERIES.
-ArV[/QUOTE]

Actually there are Three Series, the last of it being Yugioh GX which currently is airing over in Japan. Overall I'm past the American Yugioh series which is quite boring. I'm up to episode 34 of Yugioh GX. That series so far has been somewhat interesting.

[COLOR=blue]I feel the same way Solo does about this anime. It was great, and it kept you interested, but you can only do the same thing so many times before it gets tedious. While you always knew Yugi and friends would come out on top, it was [i]the way[/i] they would come out on top that kept you watching. So, whenever Yugi or Joey got in a jam, you didn't think, "OMG! They are going to lose!" but "I wonder how they are going to pull this one off."

Alas, you can only get so creative before repeating the same thing. Sure, they made people lose here and there to shock you, but after so much repetition and extremely fleshed-out matches, you didn't care. Too little, too late.

But there's one thing that interests me about Yugioh that doesn't exist in any other anime or show. They actually emphasize fate over free will, which is quite a surprise in this day and age. Our generation is all the same when it comes down to ethics and morals, so it was a refreshing thing to see a change of pace. Of course, because the themes are not at the forefront, Yugioh doesn't really create a lot of stir. *shrugs*

Anyway, it was interesting at first, but it started to repeat, and never ended.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Rick Hunter']Actually there are Three Series, the last of it being Yugioh GX which currently is airing over in Japan.[/quote]

I forgot about GX. There's also a new Yu-Gi-Oh! Manga. It's not made by Takahashi and it takes place in an alternate universe. I think it's called Yu-Gi-Oh R.

[quote name='AzureWolf']They actually emphasize fate over free will, which is quite a surprise in this day and age.[/quote]

Isn't this a common theme in Anime? Eastern religions are based more around circular history than semitist religions. Therefore it's easier to swallow the fate concept in that part of the world. A great example is the anime stereotype of the "destined one".

-ArV

[QUOTE=r2vq]I forgot about GX. There's also a new Yu-Gi-Oh! Manga. It's not made by Takahashi and it takes place in an alternate universe. I think it's called Yu-Gi-Oh R.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, Yu-Gi-Oh! R [i]is[/i] written by Takahashi, and is more of an "untold story" involving [spoiler]Pegasus' apprentice, Bandit Keith, and the dark god cards.[/spoiler]

I still enjoy YGO!, but I much prefer the manga to the anime; however, I enjoy the original arcs in the anime better than their manga adaptation. I'm awaiting GX, because it's entirely original.

And, of course, i play the card game semi-professionally.

[COLOR=Indigo]I liked the series that occured before "dueling" started to take place (back when it was clasified as "violent"), battle city (I play the game as well), and the last seriese (pharaos' past) The other three had only a few good parts. Make that two... I hated the pegasus saga.[/COLOR]

Hey Ænigma and Exotahu,

I don't mean to be rude, but just to you know, usually administrators frown on such short messages unless they are a bit more insightful and add to the conversation.

I'll agree with you though. The eidts in the English version annoy me. Why were they being threatened by a finger? Sometimes censors can be very ridiculous. But you still can't please everybody. The original series would [i]never[/i] fly in the United States unless it was targetted at a much, much older audience.
And you can't make as much money with them.

[quote name='Ænigma']I found Yu-Hi-Oh a bit like pokemon...Made for children but yeah...[/quote]
Really? I never found Yu-Hi-Oh like Pokemon. Actually... maybe I should watch the series first. To be honest, I've never seen Yu-Hi-Oh. Though I used to watch Yu-Gi-Oh a lot. ^^;; *cough* Sorry, couldn't help myself.

[quote name='DeathBug']Actually, Yu-Gi-Oh! R is written by Takahashi, and is more of an "untold story" involving Pegasus' apprentice, Bandit Keith, and the dark god cards.[/quote]
Really? Hm... Not what my sources tell me, but heck, what do I know. I stopped following a while back. Damn soccer moms... Damn dubbies... on my nerves.

-ArV

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Navy]I really dispise Yu-Gi-Oh. IMO, this is a sorry excuse for a children's anime. Anime is open to the imagination but everytime I force myself to watch an episode it just gets more degrading. The plot gets more ridiculous, the cardplay strategies become laughable, and everything becomes too predictable. :sleep:

The only type of card-like anime I prefer is Cardcaptor Sakura. Cardcaptor Sakura is everything Yu-Gi-Oh was suppose to be. The only thing it lacks is the "cool flare" that Yu-Gi presents. Overall Yu-Gi-Oh is a fine example of flash over substance.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Otaku America][COLOR=Navy]I really dispise Yu-Gi-Oh. IMO, this is a sorry excuse for a children's anime. Anime is open to the imagination but everytime I force myself to watch an episode it just gets more degrading. The plot gets more ridiculous, the cardplay strategies become laughable, and everything becomes too predictable. :sleep:

The only type of card-like anime I prefer is Cardcaptor Sakura. Cardcaptor Sakura is everything Yu-Gi-Oh was suppose to be. The only thing it lacks is the "cool flare" that Yu-Gi presents. Overall Yu-Gi-Oh is a fine example of flash over substance.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Are you watching the English one?
The dub sucks.
The second series isn't that good either.

Read tha manga, I thought the story wasn't that bad. Especially when it gets to the egyption ark.

Actually, I like to give Anime a 10% rule. I don't judge a series until I see at least 10% of it.

-ArV

• 2 months later...
I saw an old, unreplyable thread about the God cards and debating whether they are stronger than exodia or not. Well I know all their abilities and strengths, and exodia is stronger, but I can shed light on the god cards effects, I have all 3:

Obelisk the Tormentor: Atk 4000/Def 4000, Star-10. Atribute-Divine.
Type-Divine Beast
Text: The descent of this mighty creature shall be hearlded by burning winds and twisted land. And with the coming of this horror, those who draw breath shall know the true meaning of eternal slumber.
Effect:
1. Must offer 3 monsters.

2. Control of him cannot switch.

3. Not effect by the effects of spell, trap, or LV9 or lower monster cards.

4. If effected, negate effect at the end of the turn.

5. Offer 2 other monsters on your side of the field to make Obelisk's Atk infinite for a turn.

6. Offer 2 other monsters on your side of the field to destroy all opposing monsters and inflict 4000 direct LP damage.

7. Your turn ends after this card inflicts battle damage.

Slifer the Sky Dragon: Atk X000/Def X000, Star-10, Atribute-Divine
Type-Divine Beast
Text: The heavens twist and thunder roars, signaling the coming of this ancient creature, and the dawn of true power.
Effect:

5. Atk increases by 1000 pts for every card in your hand.

6. Controller may have infinite cards in their hands.

7. If opposing monster summoned is stronger than Slifer, decrease the monsters atk by 2000 pts.

8. If opposing monster summoned is weaker than Slifer by 2000 pts, destroy monster and inflict LP damage equal to destroyed monster's atk.

9. Your turn ends after this card inflicts battle damage.

The Winged Dragon of Ra: Atk ????/Def ????, Star-10, Atribute-Divine
Type-Divine Beast
Text: Spirits sing of a powerful creature that rules ofer all that is mystic.
Effect:

5. Atk and Def of this card becomes the total atk and def of offered monsters.

6. When Special Summoned from the graveyard, you may pay LP to make Ra's Atk and Def equal to the LP you payed.

7. When Special Summoned from the graveyard, you may offer 1 monster to increase Ra's atk and def by the offered monster's atk and def.

8. When Special Summoned from the graveyard, you may pay 1000 LP to destroy 1 monster on the field.

9. Can decrease your LP to 1 and hit opponnent with amount of LP lost.

10. Can decrease its atk to 1 and hit opponnent with amount of atk lost to their LP.

11. Your turn ends after this card inflicts battle damage.

Now when all 3 God cards are on your side of the field, their atk is infinite, but Exodia is an automatic win, so he's better.

Did you know that their are 16 different exodia cards?

• 1 year later...
Hi everyone if you a fan of the yugioh series you of course know he's been in some of the most dangerous duels ever. but which one do you think is the most deadlist he's ever been in my personal favorite deadlist duel is probraly the duel with dartz in the waking the dragon saga. i never seen yami yugi in such a bad shape in a duel Oh and let me say i'm talking about duels with the final enemy not the goons along the way just the big boss duels. which is you favorite Deadlist duel and why?

Oh i did search the board for this post and didn't see it yet.

[quote name='DeathBug]Actually, Yu-Gi-Oh! R [i]is[/i'] written by Takahashi, and is more of an "untold story" [/quote]

[COLOR=Blue]Actually no. The original story of Yu-Gi-Oh! is written by Kazuki Takahashi. But Yu-Gi-Oh! R is written and drawn by [B]Akira Itou[/B]. Only the supervising/consulting are done by Takahashi. I don't think I'm wrong, because I'm looking at the original Japanese comic book right now. It also says in the inside of the cover, that Itou is the assistant of Takahashi, but Yu-Gi-Oh! R is done by Itou alone.
R also means [B]'Reverse'[/B], according to Itou. It should mean [B]Reversed chronological order[/B]. Maybe Itou had some help from the Time Wizard? :animesmil But [B]"untold story"[/B] is more comprehendable.
I was worried that maybe this Yu-Gi-Oh! R would ruin the perfect ending of Yu-Gi-Oh! (I cried my eyes out :animecry: ) at first, but I quit like it. I haven't seen Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, so I'm worried again...

[/COLOR]

It's been a while since I watched Yu-Gi-Oh. GX only ruins the beauty of first series which I dearly miss. Especially episodes with Thief Bakura <3

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Welcome to Otakuboards Enbii

Here at otakuboards we put an emphasis on high post quality as well as discussion which you will find in the official otakuboards[URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?] rules [/URL] and [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?]FAQ[/URL] which are also located on the left nav bar on the forum. Your current post falls under what we consider spam here and thus we would like you to atleast make some sort of an attempt at trying to increase discussion. If you could atleast try and provide us reasons why you adored those episodes with Bakura, that would be what we strive for.

If you have any questions feel free to Pm Either myself or another staff member -Ikillion[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 years later...
[COLOR="Indigo"]I've always liked Yu-Gi-Oh.
I know that even some harcore anime fans will laugh when its brought up but the concept is a good one and if 4kids didn't mess with it I'm sure it would be a whole lot better than it is at the minute.
I liked Yu-Gi-Oh (up until capsule monsters, that was just crap) but I mean 4kids do a lot of censoring when it comes to violence in these sorts of things another example is pokemon, I mean there was a lot more voilence in the original Japanese version aired on japanese tv, over here and in the us 4kids got their hands on it and well we get the watered down version.
It's worse living in Ireland though, we're not part of the united kingdom really so we don't get a lot of anime and since everything comes down through the US its all censored and filtered to make it "child friendly" because its going on TV during the day when kids watch it.
So yeah Yu-Gi-Oh is a great anime a mon avis and if 4kids hadn't gotten its grimy paws into it I'm sure it could have been better, but that's only one person's opinon[/COLOR]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]It definitely is a lot better LoLoLaLoco, if you get the chance, pick up the manga and read it. It's quite a bit different since the show was horribly edited like you've noticed. I actually disliked it a lot and quit after seeing a few episodes, but I adore the manga. :catgirl:[/COLOR][/FONT]