OtakuBoards

Frames!!

Fly 4 Fun

[color=lime]I [i]think[/i] this is where this goes....So ya, anyone who does manga, like by hand, tell me how you do your FRAMES!! I'm a retard so I suck with a ruler. I'm all about different, so anything, I just wanna know some different people's ways of doing frames. I've been on designs, scripts, tweeking n crap, and now that I'm to the actual comic...you know. I some need help! Thanks!! :animesmil [/color]

[COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1]Frames = Panels?

Just remember how eyes tend to move through a page. You start at the top and can either continue to the right (left in manga) or downwards. What some manga-kas do (sorry, I am more familiar with mangas) is they overlap panel corners/edges to show which panel comes next. They can also enclose related panels in a larger shape if they need to "separate" scenes even further.

How a panel is shaped is also important. You have your generic rectangle for scenes where there's not much action going on and a variety of skewed ones for dynamic scenes.

But it all boils down to the artist's style in the end. I've yet to see a methodical and effective way of drawing panels. Practice, it seems, is still the key to good panelling.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Okay, most comics/manga have about 3 rows (horizontal), Then the columns will depend on how much detail and area you need to get the point of the shot across. Below I included a comic I made a few week ago. It should help you with the point. Oh, and make sure your lines are straight. That's a big deal.

[IMG]http://kiowanman21.250free.com/malcolmxboxweb.jpg[/IMG]

Hope it helps. Later.

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Heh... I like that little comic ^^

Anyway, are you reffering to how to get the panels strait, and don't appear drawn in? Well, I like to draw comic strips and short mangas, and I still do all mine with a ruler (Or the spine of the Shonen Jump I'm using for referance ^^) But I did try scanning all of the pages onto my laptop and fixing edges/typing and words/drawing borders and other strait-edge things in PSP (And a few other graphics-editing programs) but it was just too tedious. I've gained a steadier hand and I just carefully write in any words, and draw in the panels by hand with pencil, and fix it up and draw in all of the people in pen when I ink it. (Another note: Scanning and fixing up on the computer eliminates any need to ink. That is probably the best part about it.)

If you spend enough time, it can look really good. I would show you some examples, but for some reason my scanner won't work. It prints and copies fine, but it won't transfer info onto my laptop, so whatever. If you have any other questions about what I said or anything, you can just PM me.

Good luck!
_sakura_[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

This looks to be a discussion that deals primarily with manga, so I think it would be good to move it to the Manga Workshop forum. You're more likely to come across someone who really knows what they're talking about (not to say that people in this forum don't), so let's see if anyone can help you there.

[SIZE=1]i've been wondering how to do the panels too. i'm bad at making streight lines and that stuff. I'm more of a chibi drawer... it's a lot easier to draw chibi characters than tall manga characters... isn't there a special kind of paper that has panels on it? or should i just use graph paper, or construction/computer paper and just stick to that x3 i'm just cuerious too.[/SIZE]