OtakuBoards

How do I start a manga?

Chobits15

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I believe [URL=http://anime.about.com/od/manga/ht/ht072404.htm]this[/URL] should help you in getting started, and give you an idea of where to go with you manga. Good luck ;).[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
well, you probably arnt' interested anymore, but i'll tell you what i do.

1. i get an idea and write out the main points usually on a napkin or somthing.
2. i begin to write the story, and during this time i:
3. design the characters by writing up character profiles and drawing them.
4. i sketch out how the manga will look with thumbnails.
5. bawa, i start illistrating.
6. skan em all
7. make a bunch of copies.
8. make them into books.

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
Well, first all you got to do is think of an attitude. It can be any attitude, then give a character this attitude. Then put the character in the place he would most likely be in. For someone with a trouble making attitude would of course, be in a fight. Optimistic attitude might be in a park on a bench or in school...it's all about the character the way the manga starts

Well, first come up with a story-line that it will follow. Think of what kind of characters should be in it, how they are involved, etc. etc. Then, as the story becomes more defined, find names for the characters and try sketching them out. Once you have the characters and story all in your head, start illustrating it. If you want others to read it, I'd suggest making your own site and posting the comics there. BE SURE TO PUT COPYRIGHT ON IT. Like, on the dividing lines write "*insert name of comic* copyright *insert your name* *insert year*. Then, if it gets enough readers, you can try getting it published :)

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
[quote name='Howlingvampire4']Hey, if you wanna know how to start a manga, message me, I got a perfect site for you! :animesmil[/quote]Hey, you don't mind if you show me this site do you? I'm having some Manga troubles too!

[quote name='Little Slugger']it's all about the character the way the manga starts[/quote]

I have fallen in love with youuuuu're way in thinking. Any comic artist who says that the characters can make the story, instead of making characters that can best suit a pre-made plot, is definitely a bold one. True to the art and not entirely dependent on the story is an excellent approach. And also, it is a breath of fresh air to see others approach creativity in different ways..

What?...OH, the topic!

Yeah. Check out [URL]http://www.howtodrawmanga.com[/URL]! That is where I started. They have all kinds of books and ideas (as well as a few formulas) for doing everything comics.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, when I wanna start a new manga, I usually have Characters made already... If I don't, then, here's what I do - 1. Come up with an idea. 2. Make characters (you can switch the two around). 3. I write a story. nothing brilliant, nothing long, just a story to get it out. 4. Decide on style, plot twists, etc... etc... And with that, I start Drawing thumbnails and stuff.... ^^;

i really ought to have said this a while ago about how i do my doujinshi...it never turns out how it was written in the first place..... like, i'll right it down as a script, and then when i draw it was a thumbnail it changes between those two. and when i draw it out actually, it changes again. hence it never is the same. That had no point really.....

yeah, to set the "mood" for the manga, you have to choose the style. for instance, my current work is a comedy, so i'm not drawing it cryptic.(keep in mind i can barely draw, so don't think i sound like a really good person, cause i'm not.). if it was serious, i would.

It all depends if your manga is completely origonal or if it is a fan manga/based off something. If you are basing your manga off an anime series or a game or w/e then alot less planning is involved. If its an original creation then alot more planning is involved. You need to develop as many aspects and details about your world as possible. Detail and originality! Im working on an original creation which has taken moooonths worth of planning, and i am also doing a manga based on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 O.o which i have been working on for about a week and have already started publishing the first chapter ^^

• 3 years later...
[quote name='DjManix']It all depends if your manga is completely origonal or if it is a fan manga/based off something. If you are basing your manga off an anime series or a game or w/e then alot less planning is involved. If its an original creation then alot more planning is involved. You need to develop as many aspects and details about your world as possible. Detail and originality! Im working on an original creation which has taken moooonths worth of planning, and i am also doing a manga based on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 O.o which i have been working on for about a week and have already started publishing the first chapter ^^[/QUOTE]

well in my opinion i am drawing manga and im really good in it i figer that you need to discover you own way of you style of manga dnd once you see it fro there you start to practice and your able to progress from there. fyi my manga name is called forbidden innocents and its about how a girl named reina sees the way of the reality of the real world like sex drugs ect.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Normally we don't mind a little grave digging when it comes to reviving a thread [B]mamimi[/B], But the original post and most of the people who responded haven't even been online in three years so there's no point here.

It's a good idea to check thread dates for ones seeking advice before you respond to them. So with that in mind I'm going to close this. If the original poster or the person you responded too decides to sign in, they can just start a new thread at that point. ~Aaryanna

[B]Thread Closed[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]