OtakuBoards

how do you pronounce Manga?

Guest Pakuru

Guest Pakuru
[FONT=Verdana]Silly question, but I would rather not sound like an idiot if I ever reveal my secret manga love. How do you pronouce Manga? Gracias.[/FONT] :animeswea

Guest mew-berry
[COLOR=Pink][SIZE=4]I don't want to be a know-it-all, But it's actually pronunced Mayn-gah. Becuz itthe original word is NOT romagi. I've been to tokyo and they say manga with an eh. :catgirl: [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
[quote name='kitsunekami']i prounonce it the korean(like main-ga) way cause' my freinds korean and she would always yell at me....how i miss her.....[/quote]
Oh thats cool... So they say Main-ga , We say Mahn-ga and the person who posted this is probably confused... It all matters accents and countries I guess...

[quote name='mew-berry][COLOR=Pink][SIZE=4]I don't want to be a know-it-all, But it's actually pronunced Mayn-gah. Becuz itthe original word is NOT romagi. I've been to tokyo and they say manga with an eh. :catgirl: [/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
Mayn-gah, pronounced like the month? That's new. :animestun

Written in hiragana, the "original word" is まんが, or ma-n-ga. I'm not really sure how else one is supposed to interpret that. During my stay in Japan, I always heard it pronounced with the "ah" sound. But personal experiences count for jack in this sort of argument, I suppose (as is evidenced by the fact that people still wrangle over whether yaoi is supposed to be said as "yowie" or "ya-oy").

~Dagger~

I pronounce it 'main-gah', though, apparentlyl that's wrong, and everyone at school didn' mind telling me so. XD At least Encarta Dictionary agrees with me.

Actually, as of late, I kind of switch between the two ways of saying it.

Personally, I've always pronounced it Mayn-Ga.

I always thought that it was wrong, but I was just sticking to old beliefs cause that's what I'd always heard.

Now, that Mew-Berry says it's actually originally correct, at least in Japan, it makes me pretty happy. I just don't like Mahn-ga, though it doesn't really matter, does it?

~RtT

PS. W00t. Mirielle-Chan! .Hack fan!

Now, let me get this straight: y'all are pronouncing manga so that the first syllable sounds like "main"?

The two pronunciations I've personally heard are a "mang" which rhymes with "sang," and a "ma" which approximately matches the vowel sound in "farm." I was under the impression that the former was the accepted way to Americanize the pronunciation*, if one wished to do so, and that the latter was the Japanese pronunciation (which it [I]is[/I], by the way--just sound out the hiragana, if you must). I wasn't aware that other variations existed.

*Comparable to how anime is often pronounced as a-ni-me with the "a" sound from "cat," rather than the "ah" sound which you'd hear from someone speaking Japanese.

~Dagger~