Guest Pakuru Posted August 6, 2005 Posted August 6, 2005 [FONT=Verdana]Silly question, but I would rather not sound like an idiot if I ever reveal my secret manga love. How do you pronouce Manga? Gracias.[/FONT] :animeswea
Dagger Posted August 6, 2005 Posted August 6, 2005 It's mahn-ga. When looking at romaji, you should usually pronounce the vowels a, i, u, e, and o as ah (same sound as in with "saw"), e, ooh (rhymes with "you"), eh (same sound as in "hey") and oh. ~Dagger~
Guest ginkitsuneakuma Posted August 8, 2005 Posted August 8, 2005 very true...... i would have spelled it different, but then, thats me, isnt it? :catgirl:
Guest mew-berry Posted August 9, 2005 Posted August 9, 2005 [COLOR=Pink][SIZE=4]I don't want to be a know-it-all, But it's actually pronunced Mayn-gah. Becuz itthe original word is NOT romagi. I've been to tokyo and they say manga with an eh. :catgirl: [/SIZE][/COLOR]
Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen Posted August 10, 2005 Posted August 10, 2005 maynga is what they do say in tokyo, tho manga is pronounced mah-nga over here
MirielleChan Posted August 10, 2005 Posted August 10, 2005 I've heard it pronounced both ways. I personally pronounce it "Mahn-ga".
kitsunekami Posted August 12, 2005 Posted August 12, 2005 i prounonce it the korean(like main-ga) way cause' my freinds korean and she would always yell at me....how i miss her.....
Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen Posted August 12, 2005 Posted August 12, 2005 [quote name='kitsunekami']i prounonce it the korean(like main-ga) way cause' my freinds korean and she would always yell at me....how i miss her.....[/quote] Oh thats cool... So they say Main-ga , We say Mahn-ga and the person who posted this is probably confused... It all matters accents and countries I guess...
Dagger Posted August 13, 2005 Posted August 13, 2005 [quote name='mew-berry][COLOR=Pink][SIZE=4]I don't want to be a know-it-all, But it's actually pronunced Mayn-gah. Becuz itthe original word is NOT romagi. I've been to tokyo and they say manga with an eh. :catgirl: [/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote] Mayn-gah, pronounced like the month? That's new. :animestun Written in hiragana, the "original word" is まんが, or ma-n-ga. I'm not really sure how else one is supposed to interpret that. During my stay in Japan, I always heard it pronounced with the "ah" sound. But personal experiences count for jack in this sort of argument, I suppose (as is evidenced by the fact that people still wrangle over whether yaoi is supposed to be said as "yowie" or "ya-oy"). ~Dagger~
psyco mobster Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 Most people around here say mahn-ga I just like how mayne-ga sounds.
You Don't Care Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 I actually use both depending on how lazy I am or if the context of my sentences provide it. Tomay-to Tomah-to
Lindus Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 I pronounce it 'main-gah', though, apparentlyl that's wrong, and everyone at school didn' mind telling me so. XD At least Encarta Dictionary agrees with me. Actually, as of late, I kind of switch between the two ways of saying it.
Ryo the Tactician Posted August 19, 2005 Posted August 19, 2005 Personally, I've always pronounced it Mayn-Ga. I always thought that it was wrong, but I was just sticking to old beliefs cause that's what I'd always heard. Now, that Mew-Berry says it's actually originally correct, at least in Japan, it makes me pretty happy. I just don't like Mahn-ga, though it doesn't really matter, does it? ~RtT PS. W00t. Mirielle-Chan! .Hack fan!
Dagger Posted August 19, 2005 Posted August 19, 2005 Now, let me get this straight: y'all are pronouncing manga so that the first syllable sounds like "main"? The two pronunciations I've personally heard are a "mang" which rhymes with "sang," and a "ma" which approximately matches the vowel sound in "farm." I was under the impression that the former was the accepted way to Americanize the pronunciation*, if one wished to do so, and that the latter was the Japanese pronunciation (which it [I]is[/I], by the way--just sound out the hiragana, if you must). I wasn't aware that other variations existed. *Comparable to how anime is often pronounced as a-ni-me with the "a" sound from "cat," rather than the "ah" sound which you'd hear from someone speaking Japanese. ~Dagger~
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now