OtakuBoards

Peter Jennings Dies at 67

ChibiHorsewoman

[QUOTE=Mitch]Haha, pointless blathering on OB, how I've missed this.

I love messing with people.

All I've got to say to the gamut of posts against me is this: you're taking me too seriously.[/QUOTE]

Please don't act as if you never cared or meant a thing you said to avoid some sort of debate. If you want to joke around, why do it in a thread about someone who died? Come on.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Please don't act as if you never cared or meant a thing you said to avoid some sort of debate. If you want to joke around, why do it in a thread about someone who died? Come on.[/quote]

Looks like I already have.

I did it because death is a funny thing. Therefore, I've been jocose.

My damage is done, so I see no reason to fix it. This is my last post in this thread.

Thank you.

[QUOTE=Mitch]Haha, pointless blathering on OB, how I've missed this.

I love messing with people.

All I've got to say to the gamut of posts against me is this: you're taking me too seriously.[/QUOTE]
I second what Tony said. Drop the act, dude. It's extinct. In fact, it was extinct a long time ago. You're the only one who doesn't want to realize it.

[QUOTE=Chaos]That's basically it there. The problem with this line is that Killer7 mentions him being a newscaster...and that's it. No accounts of meritous acts, no stories of brash heroism, or even of mild civility. Just a news reporter.
[/QUOTE] [size=1][color=Navy]So what you are saying is a person has to have achieved meritous acts or brash heroism to be respected?[/color][/size]

[quote=Mitch]
Yet, the death of one is a tragedy. The death of a million, of a thousand. . .it doesn't even matter.[/quote] [size=1][color=Navy]Who here has said that it doesn't matter? Why even bring that up, something that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. No one said that the deaths of the Holocaust or the soldiers in Iraq don't matter, so don't go putting words into other's mouths.[/color][/size]

Ryan reminds me of why so many people look up to Peter Jennings. He was a pillar of strength for a whole lot of viewers on 9/11 and the days following. When people would turn on the news (like we [i]all[/i] did, regardless of what we say now) and see him still there...it's a very unifying thing. There was someone who was staying with you in a time of extreme agony and distress.

He was the Mr. Rogers of 9/11.

And that truly is something just as deserving of recognition as a soldier on the front line, or the firemen who gave their lives on 9/11. Sometimes, if you provide a voice, an image, a kind face...it can have the same kind of effect as courage on the battlefield.

Peter Jennings showed his courage in a newsroom.

I thought he was only in his fifties.

I remember when 9/11 hit. I'd come home from school and see Peter Jennings on t.v. updating us about the news for practically the whole week nonstop.

And during that week he wore the same shirt, tugged on the same tie, and drank from the same cup of coffee. That was the first time I thought "wow" and really respected that certain news reporter.