OtakuBoards

Is anime for adults or children?

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen

[QUOTE]It's sad really. Because adults see their kids watching Pokemon and Digimon they assume anime is for children. If they would look into anime they'd find anime has things for all ages and all interests. Things like Romance, action, drama, and more.[/QUOTE] :animesigh Sadly, it's true.

I used to watch Sailor Moon, Cardcapters, pokemon, etc. Then I grew board when they became extremely repetative with practically the same exact lines spewing out of a character's mouth every ep, though I admit I still watch some of the 'kiddie' stuff. :animeswea My younger brothers watch Yu-gi-oh, I only play the cards.

When I go to stay up on Saturdays to watch the shows like Samerai Champloo and Inuyasha (even if i mention YYH or Kenshin), my mother sometimes comments with, "What's that? Not that Yugi-googie stuff" :animeangr Never fails...

[quote name='Dagger']In response to a point you raised in your original post, Little Slugger, I would argue that rather than trying to get more adults or people from any other demographic into anime, it would be best to start convincing more of the current fans to actually spend money on it.[/quote][color=#6699cc]Oh! Can I get you some silver sulfadine? Because you just got [i]burned![/i]

...Yeah, no one take offense to that.

Anyway, I'm in college, and most of my friends are technically adults. Do we consider ourselve such? Well, no. But the fact remains that we [i]are[/i].

I realise that by "adult" you mean "a generation up," but there are a lot of factors why most parent-figure people don't watch anime. For one, they simply don't have time. People with full time jobs aren't likely to stay up late watching Adult swim (or whatever). An 8-hour job doesn't mean you work 8 hours a day. It means you're out of the house for nine or ten hours a day, and you still need to run a household on top of that. Frankly, I'm amazed that anyone lives past the age of 40.

And anime [i]was[/i] around when they were younger, as well... But it wasn't as popular, and it was a lot harder to access. (To put it another way, the "anime sub-culture" used to be a lot more "sub.") First impressions, and all that.[/color]

I think anime in general is targeted for all age groups. As you get deeper into it it starts to break of into different target age groups. I think that probably most otakus are from early to late teenage years. Most adults seem to think that it is childish and stupid to watch any form of cartoon. I have met a good amount of adult anime fans at conventions ive been to though. So not all of them are lost causes. I just think most adults feel that they need to be grown up and stuff like that. But to answer your question i think in general Anime is targetde for everyone.

[quote name='metal shinji']I just think most adults feel that they need to be grown up and stuff like that. [/quote][color=#6699cc]Many adults [i]have[/i] the need to be grown up and stuff like that. It happens to be what keeps them (and you) fed, clothed, and housed.[/color]

yay, a simple question!! it depends on who its oriented to. a show like...oh, i cant think of any off the top of my head so im gonna say Angelic Layer even though i havent seen it, looks to me like its aimed mostly towards kids. others, like Elfen lied or Midori Days, is more mature audience oriented. yay, a complicated answer!! simplified, it varies from show to show.

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]Anime is for anyone. Adults think that Pokémon is for kids because they see at the end it says "4Kids" Which must mean that they assume it IS for kids and they shouldn't be watching this childish nonsense.
Over here anime is designed for kids, you know? Cut out all the blood and gore so it is safer, and nudity because basically you just don't need to see that.
I'm 14 and I am going to be in year 10 next year, that means in art you get to do whatever you want most of the time, so, I'll be drawing anime and making more people fans of it like the good samaritan I am :animesmil My art teacher didn't even know what it is :drunk:
Swerving more on topic: The problem with adults is that they watch things which have adult characters in, not the usual teenager you see in anime, and, like the weird people they are, they like more of a horror on the edge thing, which you can't really get as much watching a 'cartoon.'
But nearly all anime has came from manga.
All manga has been written by adults (At least the ones I know of)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Purple]To tell the truth....it's for both....i mean look at pokemon....ya for younger ages and look at mature shows...they were kinda made for older ages....but alot of young kids still watch it....it's really for all the thind is just the rating of some shows....i watch things i'm not even really alowed to see and i still do it ya know?So ya....it's really for both...but i really think more kids watch it than adults[/COLOR] :catgirl:

Guest animegurl601
I live in Japan and I guess anime has been in Japan more than America so well my point is that parents in Japan sometimes watch anime with their kids. I used to watch Inuyasha with my mom (which they don't show anymore in Japan :animeangr ) and my mom was kinda enjoying it. You know like you can spend time with your parents and watch anime at the same time so I think that's cool. When I'm on American web-sites that have nothing to do with anime, it's hard to say that I'm interested in anime because that usually automaticly makes me kiddish and nerdy. On Japanese web-sites I can say it out because that's the normal thing. There isn't a single Japanese that hasn't seen anime at all. And that's my point. :animesmil