OtakuBoards

Is anime for adults or children?

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
Many adults like anime, but so do middle school kids. Child otakus seem to understand anime better than adults now a days for some reason. They can relate sometimes better because most adults get a little too old for anime and cartoons. im not saying its for lil kids i mean look at stuff like samurai champloo and paranoia agent. but grade 5 to 12 watch all the anime that adults watch, so that i guess means an otaku is an otaku nomatter what age.the most animelovers are teens though. anime is for all ages to enjoy, but most adults gave up on it , we need to get more adults interested in anime. any comments?

Yeah, I had my parents watch Spirited Away, and they absolutely loved it. The fact is that many people get into this when they are younger, as they are more open to things. Since anime has only been a reasonable force in America for a decade or two, it has not given much time for anime fans to get hooked.

[quote name='Little Slugger']ur right adults do tend to stray away alot and 4kids should definitley change there name cuz their anime isnt really entirely for kids[/quote]

They just try to make the Japanese kid anime into American kid anime. The Japanese are less protective when it comes to what kind of anime their kids are watching : /

Well, perhaps - this is only a hunch - as people grow older, they can fathom different levels put into anime; then again: it really does depend [i]who[/i] the anime is aimed at. There is definately a line between adult anime and kid anime lol, that much is true.

It's sad really. Because adults see their kids watching Pokemon and Digimon they assume anime is for children. If they would look into anime they'd find anime has things for all ages and all interests. Things like Romance, action, drama, and more.

[quote]They just try to make the Japanese kid anime into American kid anime. The Japanese are less protective when it comes to what kind of anime their kids are watching : /[/quote]

I don't think saying all Japanese don't look at what their kids are watching. It's just like in america with our shows like CSI and LAW and Order. Those are two shows I wouldn't let my kids watch. Some parents care others don't, it all depends on the adult.

Anime can be for adults and childre. There are many differents anime out there, and there are many different genres. To say anime is simply meant for children would be incorrect. Take for instance an anime like Paranoia Agent and mature titles like that. A littlle child that watches Pokemon can't possibly unserstand a psychological thriller like Paranoia Agent. Anime is made for all ages, but sadly some people have yet to accept that.

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
thats not completely true, a little frend of mine austin is going into the 6th grade and luvs the paranoia agent series he knows whats going on and isnt comfused one bit wen we watch it on saturday nights

[quote name='yukigurl:p']its for both everybody needs anime[SIZE=2][/quote]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have to agree on this. I believe anime is like movies. You can't really protect someone if they don't want to be. (Well you can with children, but most parents now a days don't take the time to. :animeangr ) Just like the movies, there are some aim towards younger viewers and others which are made for adult interest. 4Kids TV is a good source for children anime and those adults who like the anime without depth or all the bloodshed. :animesmil It all depends on taste, but I STRONGLY do not think children should be exposed to something like "Hellsing" at the age of six or five!! :animeshy: THEY MIGHT GET TRAUMATIZED!! But in a society like today, who knows where to draw the line :animeswea ...[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Anime, like television shows in America, are made for different audiences. Animation is a medium. It is an all-emcompassing term. Just like there are kid shows and sitcoms that appeal to an older audience, anime is also geared to different people.

Take DragonBall for example. It's a never ending series that repeats itself, very much like Pokemon. It can do that because it has a young target audience who don't really care about redundancy. Compare those to, say, Fruits Basket which has a teen target. It doesn't repeat as much and there's more depth of character. Further still on the spectrum are things like BoogiePop Phantom and Vampire Hunter D. Both very dark and Mature in their themes.

Anime in general is not made for kids or adults. It's TV, and certain show are for certain groups.[/COLOR]

I think an adults perspective on anime is influenced based on what's on tv, unfortunatly.

For example... When I was much younger, I was into Sailor Moon, and then Pokemon, and some other animes came along. Animes that were censored on tv drove my dad up the wall. He couldn't stand them and found them all very much alike.
Then... In my early teen years... I got into the uncut stuff that isn't on tv... Cowboy Bebop, Sorcerer Hunters, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Ranma 1/2, etc. My dad didn't mind these animes at all, but of course every once in a while he'd be reminded of Sailor Moon or Pokemon and would turn away from it. I think if he had seen the CB movie or Spirited Away before Sailor Moon, he would like anime a lot more.

I think anime is for adults and for children, but I also think first impressions on anime are very important for both age groups.

i agree with you, i like the more adult or teen oreanted anime nowadays, but kiddie anime shows have altered the minds of the older age group to think all anime is childesh and should only be watched by children so they look apon us anime fans like were crazy or something.

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
so far im liking yukigurl's answer the best...ive been watching anime since i was little.Since then i love it, but ratings never stopped me. Macross, paranoia agent vampire hunter D , you name it...ive watched nomatter what rating it is. the point is that anime is not for adults or just children, its for anybody that wants to see it.

I wrote an in-class-essay in my English class about anime and children. I called it "Should Children and Pre-teens watch anime" I got a B on it.

Here's the first paragraph:

[B]"Firstly, most anime series are made for an older youth audience. Many types of situations can damage their young minds. The younger audience might pick up bad language and slander. Some of the words they use, might not be understood so they might ask somebody older and get corupted. Younger viewers might take things that are meant to be a joke literally, which would cause some confusion. They might see some anime characters as their 'hero/heroine' and take after their bad infulences. For example, in an anime series called 'Inuyasha,' there is a monk called Miroku who is always hitting on women. Quite recently, I read on an internet forum that Miroku is some boy's inspiration and now he's acting like Miroku. The Boy was only 10 years old!"[/B]

Well, this is my opinion and remember that I did this in class! :animeswea

[COLOR=blue]Just to turn the tables around a bit, I was thinking about the original post and how adults percieve anime differently. You are right: there is a line.

I look at our generation and how they look at anime. We saw it as something deep and meaningful, saying it has just as many merits as other mediums, putting up there with the greatest books, movies, and shows of all time. This predisposition, however, is starting to show its consequences. Now our generation is overanalyzing anime, putting more substance than what's there, and most definitely not just enjoying the show as something simple and nice.

Children watch anime and can enjoy it on that level. Sure, there are [strike]some[/strike] [strike]few[/strike] very few animes that have deeper meanings to them, but they are truly few and far between.

So, I think, while anime can certainly be for adults, sometimes we should enjoy them like kids do. ^^[/COLOR]

well i think that it can be for both adults and childern. In anime there can be different things that can seperate them from amine that is more for children, for anime that is more for teens, and anime that is more from adults. It does matter which group of anime that you are watching but if you parent doesnt mind what type of amine that you watch then i guess that it it ok. Most people would like anime from a different group because of something that it offers for its viewers.

[color=#6699cc]Frankly, some of it [i]is[/i] just for little kids. I don't see how anyone can refute that.

However, a well-told story can be enjoyed by anyone?regardless of age [i]or[/i] the medium through which the story is being told.[/color]

Anime (and manga) are just ways in which to present a story, to say that it is all exclusively for adults or children is like saying all cinema or theatre is for one group or the other. Obviously, they generally have a target audience, but that comes from the content not the medium.

Well, I think It is time to post my two cents on the topic.

As a whole I have always liked the more teenage orientered animes although I am more psychologically stronger then others my age. The thing is that my dad was the one who got me interested in the older (Age Group) animes so If it wasn't for him then I would still like Pokemon and that.

But I agree with a few people here, Anime isn't designed for one specific age group but for multiple. It's just that because of all of these Butchered anmes such as Dragonball which are being named as kids animes so people who hear something like "I enjoy Japanese Animation" think that the person who says this are just interested in little kiddy animes.

~~The Monster~~

I hate the classifications people give animes. Because pokemon is more main stream than some more mature animes people just associate anime with kids. Self conscious people who like anime are afraid to say they like anime in public for fear of being classified as a pansy, or something of that nature. That's what I really hate about kids animes, they get more attention. So when people hear the word anime they associate it with kids and therefore people think you're mental or something.

but being mental isnt all that bad. but otherwise i agree with you. its the pansy thing like you said, but i dont think there is to any people who like pokemon unless their younger than ten.

Both. It's indisputable that many anime are not aimed at capturing a young audience, even if their actual content is perfectly child-friendly--those which air at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning (in Japan), for example. A Little Snow Fairy Sugar is an amusing example of this, if I recall correctly; it could function nicely as a children's show in America, but its original intended audience would have been composed of cuteness-starved male [i]otaku[/i]. Conversely, there are also plenty of anime which squarely target little kids.

In response to a point you raised in your original post, Little Slugger, I would argue that rather than trying to get more adults or people from any other demographic into anime, it would be best to start convincing more of the current fans to actually spend money on it.

~Dagger~