OtakuBoards

An arm, a leg and half a foot: the gas price thread

ChibiHorsewoman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed]
Don't you think that the Oil companies have enough surpluse to easily cope with this? They do. They have shitloads of oil just lying around - it seems to me they're just trying to use this tragedy to profit. Tabarnak!

Anyways... Gas prices here have become so severe, local radio stations are giving away [I]free gas[/I]. Ya, no more Stone's tickets, free gasoline. The prices here are insane! What I don't get is this: considering about 50% of oil in Quebec comes from Alberta and New Brunswick... why the hell are our oil prices so damn higer than those of the US? I mean I can understand the UK, they don't have a massive abundance of oil. But when your country has one of the largest surpluses of oil in the Western world... What the hell is going on?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Oil doesn't equal gas. The oil companies could have billions of gallons of oil sitting by, and it wouldn't matter when 70% of the refineries are shut down.

As for why your prices are so high, I have no idea.

[font=Arial][size=2]$1.37/litre.

$1.34/litre at cheap places.

I live in a place where there [i]is no[/i] public transport. You want to get somewhere, you drive or you walk. Town is a good 30-45 minute walk away and public transport doesn't exist. My brother lives an hour and a half away -- something like 140 kms, I think -- at boarding school. Every time we need to pick him up to bring him home (for whatever reason), it's another $50 dollars (rounded, I think) on fuel.

But what can we do? It's [i]worse[/i] in New South Wales, which, because of fuel tax, is generally about 10c dearer.

Funny to think that a year ago it was about 79c/litre. Man, I miss that time.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed]This is exactly what I predicted... Right now, the gas is 1.34/lieter (aproximatly 6$ gallon) but it's been weeks since the disaster. Oil is back under full swing, but still the prices remain high. The Oil companies [I]will[/I'] eventually reduce the price; but when? The gas prices skyrocketed up, but the Oil Companies are going to squeez every penny out of us by dropping the price cent by cent over the next few months. This is seriously bad for the worlds econemy - I know people who cant even go to work because it costs too much, the trucking industry will suffer... the Oil Companies may cause this disaster to be MUCH worse than it is now... This certainly is terrible, isn't it...[/COLOR][/quote]

I don?t know what the trucking industry is like in Canada, but I work for the trucking industry here in America and it isn?t really making a big difference yet. In the long run it will be consumers who suffer for the increase in price, as there are two solutions that will end up being implemented if the price of diesel fuel does not come down.

The first possibility is that the price of goods will increase to offset the increase in transportation fees. Or the time it takes to deliver things will increase as slowing down means better mileage. It may not make much difference to slow down in a car but for a Semi-Truck it makes a huge difference. The company I work for limits our speed to 65 miles per hour. All you have to do is slow down to 60 miles per hour and the increase in mileage ends up saving from $8,000 to $12,00 a year in fuel for a single truck.

If you have over 18,000 trucks in your fleet that?s a lot of money to be saved by slowing down only 5 miles per hour. So in the long run the ones who are going to be hurt the most are regular people.

[size=4][color=SlateGray][font=Chiller]$3.28.....

When I was a amatuer I believed that 3 bucks were just digits that your parents could easily pay.

I was wrong.

Turns out that when you have a job and a banged-up ford truck, it takes about half or sometimes a third of my check just to pay for a tank of gas. Damn it! But what sucks is that I have my parents on my back who remind me that I can't go for the cheaper gas, like Malco or Shell. Because they add water to the gasoline which caused my truck to stall sometimes. But at any rate the gas prices are starting to go down where I live. Which is good news for me.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='YohsAnna']i think the prices of gas is rediculous in the morning it was $2.70 and by noon $3.00 its so stupid! somday the people are going to wake up and find out we cant afford it anymore! some people will die from hunger beacause we spend it all on gas. my friend dosnt get lunch or breakfast just dinner and very little of it beacause his parents have to spend every cent they get on gas! i say we start a righit or somthing but that wont do anything. those gas people need to get those stick out of their butts and think about others not just themselfs! come on we need to stop what there doing! those people actualy need to be killed i swear! i cant afford breakfast and i wont be able to go to the collage i want to. i can hardly buy stuff for school now! i say we stop buying gas for a while and thell bring the prices down. and dont give me the bull crap that the reason prices are up is beacause of the hurricane we get most of our gas from Mexico! this needs to be stopped either by choice or by force![/quote]
[size=4][color=SlateGray][font=Chiller]Totally Agreeable...[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Gas prices here in eastern Washington state is $2.95 which has gone down in the past week. I basically haven't driven anywhere since filling up my car, which is a Camry, gets to be a bit expensive. I am very lucky that my husband gets a company vehicle and they pay for all the gas. His office is about 1 block away from the grocery store so he picks up food on his way home from work. We are lucky.

In my hometown there is a bus service for the handicapped but not one for just running around town. There is a bus service that runs from surrounding communities to my town and back but that is about it. If there was a "run-you-around-town" kind of bus service I am sure many people here would use it since this community has lots of lower income families.

The only other option is to call a taxi, but that I am sure will cost an arm and a leg since they need to cover the cost of the mega expensive gas prices.

[color=darkviolet]Lucky me- I got Gas for $3.07 a gallon today. I paid $37.00 to fill up my 13 gallon tank! I thought I did good until I saw gas for $2.97. Then I decided I needed to have a good cry.

This gas even though it's going down is getting crazy. I just lost my recent job and put almost one hundred miles on my car today looking for jobs. And I still have to pay my babysitter and buy diapers.

My county is going to try and put a $2.50 a gallon cap on gas, i hope that goes through.

I'm gonna sign off now.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Today I filled up for $2.97, of course I waited in line to get it for about an hour. I probably wasted more gas sitting there than all the driving I'd done that whole day. What Shadow Blade said is so true, when I was young I always thought my parents could fill up. I lived in a nice sized house and my father makes a nice salary, but even they are cutting back on driving. TANK here I come![/SIZE]

I'm posting this because the of the nerve these folks had. Unbeliveable. Also because it happened about 10 minutes away from where I live. If you live in Colorado, El Paso area...Beware!

BTW gas is at $2.87 for the cheap stuff.

[QUOTE]FYI FOR ALL!!!

My garage was broken into last night and my entire street was robbed as
well. They weren't after the usual stuff, they were siphoning gas!

I'm not quite sure how they got away with it all last night, but between the
different vehicles, I'm sure they got over a hundred gallons. My garage was
the only one broken into, where they got a ton of power tools and fishing
gear. They also tried to get the get gas out of our car in the garage.

Anyway, whether you live near me or not, I don't doubt that other criminals
around the country may try a similar trick, especially with this hurricane
coming.

Only older cars with gas doors that pop open by hand were targeted. All the
cars that were hit were in driveways or back yards.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen to any of you! Please warn all you know.
-TLN[/QUOTE]

Icyeyes

[COLOR=DarkRed]Holy flying ****, people. This is really... really... really bad. In Montreal yesterday the gas went up to [I]2.25perlieter[/I]. For anyone counting, thats about 9 dollars a gallon. What in the **** is wrong with this place?!?!?! How can Gas on the other side of the continent rocket up while gas in a country about the be rocked by a Hurricane in its main Oil Fields goes down? Thankfully, the word is that gas is going to be down by next tuesday - down below 2 dollars that is. This is just ******* insane.

We were filling up in Montreal on our way home yesterday, and the gas was only 1.15. We asked the guy why his prices were a dollar less than everyone elses - the gas had shot up by this point - and he said he was just waiting for the phonecall to turn it up to 2.25.

The **** is really starting to hit the fan :animestun [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Red]I can't wait until people who say this have children, and have to explain all the things that go with global warming that will be left to generations down the line to 'fix'.

Dramatic increase in prosperity? No.

If it were the case, it would be at the cost of higher temperatures, ice sheets & glaciers melting resulting in higher sea levels, increased carbon dioxide levels, species extinction, habitat destruction, drought, and so on.

The increased extremes of destructive weather (hurricanes, storms, tornados, and so on) would be enough to offset the 'increased trade' with the cost of rebuilding, let alone half of what I've mentioned. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. ;]

To Raiyuu - a few meters could be an underestimation. The area of Antarctica alone is a formidable 13,200,000 square kilometers, coupled with an average ice thickness of 2.7km, you have yourself quite a bit of water locked away.

It's not made out to be as bad as it actually is. Watch the videos of kilometer-long chunks of ice falling off the antarctic edge and tell me again that it can't be that bad.

Read above for the part about sea levels.

All I can say to this is do your reading first. :p

Can you please show me the scientific evidence behind this? I have seen nothing but to the contrary for years. Car petrol is not the only cause of increased carbon dioxide levels - and altered fuel or not, an inefficient/old engine will do little to compensate.

Considering that it seems physically impossible for emissions to have gone down when nations like China are industrialising at a pace only matched by Russia in the 30's, and China is investing a lot into coal-based power.

Again, please do at least some research.

Really? If you'd care to look on the top polluter's list, you'll see your friendly down South neighbour has no qualms with the greenhouse effect & more than happily laughed in the face of Kyoto.

That isn't to say the recent agreement between the US and the other nations won't have an impact, but considering Mr. Bush's reasoning behind not signing up to Kyoto, we will just have to wait and see.

Oh, and that agreement includes China. The country that, as you so eloquently put it, does **** all for pollution control. ;]

As for oil/petrol, the prices here in England are very inflated, and I couldn't be more happy with that being the case. I'd be far more worried about what we do when it runs out, and the fact that we don't really know how much is left.[/QUOTE]

u no, this guy isn't all to blame for for the problems of "the world", so plz dont pin them on him, and if it was already said in this thread, im an american, i can say whay i want, lol :animeblus

[QUOTE=Red]
The increased extremes of destructive weather (hurricanes, storms, tornados, and so on) would be enough to offset the 'increased trade' with the cost of rebuilding, let alone half of what I've mentioned. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. ;]
[/QUOTE]
You do realize that the gulf of mexico was very active like this from around 1900-1960, and then stopped around 1970? Care to explain your theory on this or keep up your knee jerk reactions?

Guest tasu22889
[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]Well, it was inevitable wasn't it? The price of crude oil goes up to $6. something billion and prices go up $0.10 at least in the US all ya'll know this thread is going to rear its ugly head.

I live in upstate New York. The sales tax is 7.5 percent and we have a gas tax on top of that. Last week when I went to get gas at Delta Sonic (We have a gas station called Deta Sonic not a drive in restuarant) which is the cheapest place to get gas and it was $2.35 a gallon. I was at a quarter tank and filled up for $25.04. Lucky me, there was a guy in front who paid $59.60- okay so he was driving a CHevy Avalanche and it's his own damn fault for driving it! Today the gas at the same station was $2.37 a gallon and about to go to $2.40 after I paid! Damn!

I've seen higher though. The Hess (some of you may know this brand) station by my work is $2.51 for the regular and $2.71 for premium. Premium doesn't do anything for you- get gegular.

This is getting crazy. I remember when it would have been cheaper to fill up your car on gas instead of milk, now you can buy milk for $1.69 a gallon, but gas is up. I think I'm going to invent an engine run on milk. Hey cows are more renewable!

Okay so gas prices, and gas stories. I know we Amaericans are paying less than the Canadians and the people in Europe, but share your stories anyway. Do you know anything funny. Or do you want to vent?
[/color][/QUOTE]
dang int yo uright though,gas is outrages here too...i used to be able to get a tank for the lawnmower on jut $5!!its horrid..

Guest djehutys song
Oil prices are skyrocketing and unfortunately for us, there doesn't seem to be relief in sight. Fuel prices here in Oz have gone from .75c Cents to an astounding $1.45 on some areas. And I remember my dad used to complain when it was at seventy.
The usual "Those greedy...blinking blinkers ripping me off!!" kind of thing.
And the funny thing:
Mr Howard (Australia's Prime Minister) has just announced an increase in the cost of public transport, due to HIGH FUEL PRICES.
Go figure.
I can honestly say, to those who haven't visited Australia, that public transport here is not safe. Its dirty, noisy, late almost always, and the chance a gang of thugs will kill you for the heck of it is very high. There are security guards and police but all they will do is watch as the gang of 10 + thugs beats and kills you. I'm not joking on this one.
And then there ar the distances to cover...
When all is said and done I'll stick with the safety of my car.

Like it or not one of the main villains is Mr Bush himself, who just happens to be one of the oil wealthy. I think he should be very pleased oil prices have gone so high.

The fact is that like it or not modern man has become a slave to big oil industries, who also spend fortunes in stopping others from developing alternative fuel sources.
If someone came up with a pollution free energy source how long would it be before the oil magnates go bust?
True, there would still be a need for plastics, but the returns wouldn't be as great.

In all of this, where are those who are supposed to be providing us with a better future?
If I recall, NASA spends billions in space research, but Iv'e yet to see a city up there.
And nobody mention the 'space shuttle'. Its a joke.
We want to go to Mars but we can't even get downtown.
Maybe some of that budget should be spent on research for alternative fuels.

And for those that don't believe it, YES, the oil reserves are starting to go dry.
No matter how much they try to hide it, oil reserves are finite and will eventually run dry, regardless.
In the end it all comes down to greed. There is no way a man who gets driven around in a limousine is going to care wether the average Joe/Jane spends half their pay on fuel, as long as they keep their mouths shut and keep working.
Forests will turn to wastelands of concrete, the skies may grow brown with pollution and the waters will die, but all that matters to them is getting that one extra buck from you.
What terrible madness is this, that drives man to enslave his fellow man for something as futile as earhtly wealth?

There, that's my piece.
Love it or hate it, I've said it.

The blessings of Thoth be with you all

Odin

[size=4][color=slategray][font=chiller]$3.98

Those Cursed Digits are here to stay for a little while in my state.

According to the morning news the gas prices are going to stay at $3.00 and something cents. Especially since Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita knocked down the oil industries/refineries in the unfortunate states.

All I can say now is that this really sucks, when our state is actually capable of mining our own gas, only problem is , is that the damn EARTH FIRST PEOPLE don't want it to happen.

Damn those cursed people..........[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Harry']You do realize that the gulf of mexico was very active like this from around 1900-1960, and then stopped around 1970? Care to explain your theory on this or keep up your knee jerk reactions?[/quote]

If you're talking about weather activity, I would've included that were I not replying to single quotation. Or a knee-jerk reaction, whatever you want to call it.

All I was basing my argument on is the fact that nothing outside of natural occurences has ever caused global warming before. I can only assume that the thirty (?) odd landfalls that took place are due to the temperature cycles the Atlantic ocean undergoes every few decades, one of which we are supposedly in now (from the beginning of 1995). They have been discussed and 'reported' as far back as 1700.

I'm not exactly a climate expert though (and I never claimed to be particularly knowledgeable, merely citing what I've observed or read). At the same time, even the experts are debating the causes of irregular extreme weather patterns that take place all over the world.

One thing that's generally accepted is that global warming means warmer waters. What can result in hurricanes? Edit - forgot to mention that there's still a whole host of scientists who say hurricane frequency has zilch to do with global warming - there's still plenty of other horrors with it though.

This is still all pointing towards [i]one[/i] potential after effect of global warming, not even touching on things such as Conveyer failure, a lack of gulf stream, rising water levels, blah blah. My point is that citing a time where the effect we had on global temperature pales in comparison to today, where the implications for society could be massive. It isn't chuck a few billion dollars at the problem, remember those lost, and continue about your merry lives.

And where does the gulf coast go when the oil's not around?

[size=4][color=slategray][font=chiller]I'm just wondering......

Does anyone know about that speech that President Bush gave. I just heard a little about it . Did the guy say something about working only on
Monday-Thursday, because gas has to be preserved. And that we the people need to use fuel only when we really need it?

Did anyone hear about that?

Uh? Anyone?[/font][/color][/size]