OtakuBoards

Cliffhangers!

Dagger

What are some of the worst cliffhangers you've experienced, and how long did you have to wait before seeing the next episode?

For me, the ending of [b]Fafner[/b] episode 23 ranks pretty high in terms of being both exciting and sublimely frustrating. It left me all but frothing at the mouth with impatience, despite the fact that (if I remember correctly) I had to wait less than a week before I was able to watch episode 24.

It felt as though all the high-tension drama and tragedy which had been doled out in increasing measures since fairly early on in the show was finally coming to a climax--and then the episode just [i]stopped[/i]. The little scene right after the credits only made it worse. [spoiler]Soushi's "death"[/spoiler] was brutally sudden and (for me, at least) completely unexpected. Ending it there was cruel and evil in the best way possible.

~Dagger~

When you watch things on adult swim like me, almost all you get is cliffhangers.

One of the worst cliffhangers I've experenced whas in .hack//sign. It was the episode when they're escaping from the dungeon because it's falling apart and then Tsukasa gets hit by his gaurdian's arm/tenticale type thing and I didn't know if he was dead or alive or what. And then it just ended and it took me a whole week to see the next episode.

Another one is currently going on. They stopped Full Metal Alchemist an episode 26 (which I haven't seen because I was too depressed by episode 25.) and its been like about a month, I think, and I just really want to see it and I don't know what Roy's going to do about [spoiler] Hughes's death [/spoiler] :animecry: and I really want to see what the Elrics are up to and stuff! That's what I get for depending on CN. :animesigh

Another one was when they stopped Inuyasha for a while. (I can't remember how long, but it was a pretty long time.) And I was really mad because I wanted to see the next episode and after a week, I calmed down, after a month, I forgot about it. Then when they brought it back, Kikiyo was in the episode and I was like, "Who is she? They've shown her in earlier episodes, right?" That wasn't as much of a cliffhanger as it was cofusion. :animeswea

Well, those are some of the worst cliffhanger I've experenced, of coure I proably have a lot more, but I can't remember them because they didn't make as much of an impact as these did.

I don't watch too many series that have really big cliffhangers. FmA's the only one I can think of. Episode 50 was soooo big. With only one episode that followed it, you had to wonder how it was going to work out. That episode made me cry ;_;

XDD I remember a lot of people were going crazy when it came out.

I buy most of my anime, as I usually fall asleep before any good anime comes on. This means I really don't have to wait for the answer to any cliffhangers. The biggest one I have seen is episode 25 of .hack//sign where [spoiler] Helba has to restart (or whatever she does) the level Tsukasa and his friends are on because the A.I in the world was destroying everything.[/spoiler] Then you have to wait 2 episodes before you find out what happens.

[quote name='Killer7']I buy most of my anime, as I usually fall asleep before any good anime comes on. This means I really don't have to wait for the answer to any cliffhangers.[/quote]
Then you must buy mostly box sets, no? Although I guess purchasing all the volumes at once would have a similar effect.

Some of the most maddening cliffhangers I've come across have been from series I saw for the first time when buying them volume-by-volume. As an example, what actually inspired me to start this thread was watching the second disc of Gilgamesh. Right when I was really getting into the show, the DVD was over. And volume 3 won't be coming out until October... :animesigh

This makes me doubly glad that I watched Hikaru no Go before it was licensed (and therefore will be re-watching it when it comes out on DVD). Having to wait three full months for new episodes is [i]not[/i] my cup of tea.

~Dagger~

Berserk. That's the only time that I've ever gotten angry over an uncensored TV show. [spoiler]"Griffith!" *scene suddenly changes to Guts walking out of a house... credits pop up*[/spoiler] What was the point of excluding Skull Knight and the other apostles if you were just going to leave it a cliff hanger? Effectively self-contained my *ss.

The most maddening cliffhanger i've ever come across (so far) is probably the end of episode 5 of the tenchi muyo OVA's "kagato attacks".

[SPOILER]Tenchi is in the assimilated ryu-oh, attempting to open the Light-Hawk wings in order to attack the soja, as ryo-ohki is suffering under heavy fire. Soja's weapon overpowers the light-hawk wings attack, and ryu-oh is obliterated. ryoko escapes the soja, only to find the cloth that tenchi wore around his head, stained with blood. *credits roll*[/SPOILER]

As the delivery of the other two DVD's was delayed due to stock shortage, i was tearing my hair out (literally) over not knowing what happened.

[size=1][color=slategray]I don't think I've ever had any huge cliffhanger moments... and if I have, they have long been drained from my mind. Since sometimes a bunch of episodes will morph into one in my brain.
But, [B]Cowboy Bebop[/B] has always left me on the edge of my seat. Those two part episodes made me crazy. Such as at the end of Jupiter Jazz, part 1, the first time I saw that, I think I almost kicked my t.v. for having it end like that. This was when Adult Swim only had the episodes on every Saturday. But, I almost drove myself crazy that week because of that cliffhanger. Same with when I watched the Real Folk Blues, part 1. Again, I almost kicked my t.v.
But, I think those are the only cliffhangers I've ever really freaked out about, with me loving Cowboy Bebop to death and such. It was aweful. Lol.[/color][/size]

Hm, I'd have to say one of the biggest cliffhangers in my mind came from Pilot Candidate a.k.a Candidate for Goddess. The final episode ended like a normal episode would...and so I've been forever tormented since that day, wondering what the hell happened! I mean, there was no closure at all. Of course, as far as I know, Bunny-sensei never ACTUALLY finished the manga anyway. So it makes sense that the anime would also abruptly end but come on, that didn't stop the X series. (pouts) I still want to know what happened to Zero/Rei/whatever you want to call him.