OtakuBoards

Gwen Stefani- What was she thinking!?

ChibiHorsewoman

[QUOTE=maverickwarrior] Every one of her songs is "Harajuku" this and has her japanese backup dancers... It's anoying after a while.. (We get it... You have a thing for the japanese, but... GIVE IT A REST)
[/QUOTE]

I know!! That's the thing that annoys me about her songs. I'm surprised 'Cool' doesn't mention Harajuku girls.

One of my friends thinks that Gwen went to Japan and enslaved the Harajuku girls she has under contract. :animesmil

[quote name='René][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Don't fix it if it isn't broken only breeds stagnation, which is the exact reason so many bands fail - they operate under that principal and get [b]boring[/b]. They don't experiment, and change their sound, and people end up not caring.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote][color=#6699cc]ZOMG! René likes teh sell-outz!!!!1

Ahem.

Gwen Stefani freaks me out a bit right now. She's super-pale, her skin is whiter than her hair, and when she dresses in white or has her hair pulled up, I swear she looks like an alien. But that's just me.

I think "If I Were a Rich Girl" is catchy, but I cringe every time I hear it. I loved [i]Fiddler on the Roof[/i], and I feel like she's desecrating it.

Other than that, I got nothing.[/color]

I tend to echo what Sara said. Her "re-sample" of If I Were A Rich Man is absolutely atrocious. I'm not one to criticize pop music too much, but I think it's dreadful when one of them remake a classic song, whether it's so-called "mainstream" music or a showtune.

Because quite frankly, if you compared the two songs side-by-side, the original sung by Topol in the film version of Fiddler, and Gwen's piratized version (pun intended), there's no question which is the better rendition. Topol just obliterates her.

She's taken what is quite possibly one of the greatest musical numbers in theatre history that explored the fears and desires of a poor milkman in Russia at the turn of the 20th century...and turned it into a stupid pirate ship dance routine. That right there just about says it all, I think.

Regarding her "Hollaback Girl" song? I think a quote from This Is Spinal Tap puts it best:

[center]"This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
[/center]

I mean...let's face it. "Banana" repeated over and over again? Not only is it just mind-numbingly trite and stupid, without any point at all...but if VH1 is still around in 20 years, Hollaback Girl will be on the 20 Most Awesomely Bad Songs, I guarantee it.

Using a marching band in your song: good idea.

Forgetting about the marching band in your song: bad idea.

Let's not forget the dreadful editing in Hollaback Girl. lol. The last two shots of Gwen with her arms up? The arms are in entirely different positions between the long shot and the medium/close-up.

The most recent song I've heard from Gwen sounds much more classical (better), and her look, as well. She's gorgeous regardless, but the classical look suits her so much better than Ghetto Thugged.

[QUOTE=René][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
If music operated like that, we'd still be in 40s-esque Blues, or earlier still. Don't fix it if it isn't broken only breeds stagnation, which is the exact reason so many bands fail - they operate under that principal and get [b]boring[/b]. They don't experiment, and change their sound, and people end up not caring. Not all experiments are successful, obviously, but crucifying someone because they try a new direction isn't the way to do things.

That said, personally, I don't enjoy Gwen Stefani's current solo venture. But at least she's doing her own thing, instead of pumping out more pre-packaged Britney-esque trash.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I completely agree with this, I was only stating that in this case, I think her music was much better off before the change. We're all entitled to our own opinions, and this one is mine. It's cool she decided to do something different, I just think she went in the wrong direction. Her new music seems more for show then the actual music itself. It lacks the passion of her older albums and although she didn't do it for the money, that seems to be the only purpose for it? *shrugs*

As some others have said, her shows have gone downhill, her music has taken a wrong turn, and even her lifestyle is in question. Sure, she still has tons of fans, but just as many of those fans have stepped back and asked what's going on, since the new Gwen isn't the one they're use to seeing, and isn't the one they've grown to love. Even if she is the same person, we never got to know her personally, only through her music, and when that takes a complete dive what is there left for us?[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkRed][CENTER] Gwen is just going threw a phase. She sees all these other musicians doing there thing and she's like 'What the heck? I want to try that." Sooner or later she'll realized that wearing uncomfortable shoes while walking around isn't all that great. She's going to miss dancing around on the stage like she used to. Either that or all her clothes lines and cds will drop in sale.

I think Gwen is trying to be something she's not. Soon her CDs are going to be to sexy for anyone. Going to be edit alot also. My mother says that she's trying to be this hip hop r&b kinda chick and it isn't working for her. I have no clue what she's talking about though. I love the song 'Cool' and 'Waiting for'. 'HollaBack Girl' is okay just not one of her best. But I'm just saying, her sales are going to drop if she doesn't change back to the Gwen we all know and love.

Sincerly,
BlackTigerGurl :catgirl: [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]Gwen's songs are catchy, I'll admit. It isn't music I'm going to go out there and buy, or music I want to listen to. But, y'know, if I hear it on the radio, that's cool. It's catchy music. I quite like Hollaback Girl to be honest. It's catchy, and sounds pretty good.
[/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]
I agree with Baron on this one. Hollaback Girl [IMO] is a very fun and catchy song. The beat is great, and it's something I could loosen up to.

I personally never liked her at all. I never liked No Doubt and she never really appealed to me. But a lot of people like her music, and she's making good money. Good for her. [/SIZE]