OtakuBoards

Gwen Stefani- What was she thinking!?

ChibiHorsewoman

[quote name='Jane Magazine]Another celeb that we think has taken leave of her senses is [b]Gwen Stefani[/b'] She used to tear up the stage with her kick *** moves, but is now reduced to swaying back anmd forth in a mincing dance.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet] I think I got the above right.

Yes there is a Gwen Stefani thread right now started by me.

I remember when Gwen was part of No Doubt. She used to jump around the stage and sing good songs. She was skinny, but in a more athletic way, And did I mention she had some good songs? Because I liked her old stuff- Hella Good isn't too bad. I even like Blow YOur mind featuring Eve. So maybe

But WTF is Gwen thinking now? She's crossed over (read Sold out) to the dark (ie pop) and can now barely move, let alone tear up the stage because she wears spike heels instead of sneakers or whatever she wore prior to her brain transfer. Someone should slap her upside the head for [b]Holla back[/b] :animeangr . And she's so skinny now it's scary.

But I digress maybe some people like the [i]new[/i] Gwen and her songs. Me I wish she'd go back to what she started with, but hey some peopel may like what she's doing now. Tell me what you think.[/color]

Well, I own her new cd actually...but I'll admit, I only like two songs on it. I bought it because I love No Doubt, I liked how Gwen was sort of a tomboy always hanging out with the guys and singing with them. No Doubt's stuff is just fun and neat but most of her solo work seems centered on promoting her fashion line and the Harajuku girls...

It annoys me a lot and you're right, I read in a magazine Gwen said on her new diet she's "always hungry" and I find that sad. There's no reason to be hungry.

I don't think she sold out.
She's sold millions of records with No Doubt; it's not like she needs money.

She wanted to make a "dance" album. Doing what you want is not selling out. Too many members here are going to believe that because she did something different, she sold out. Artists are allowed to experiment. That comes with being an artist. People have this idea that "pop music" is automatically associated with Radio Disney-style it's-all-about-the-money artists. Is "Hollaback Girl" No Doubt material? Of course not, but her solo album wasn't total crap, either. "Hollaback Girl" may be a bit repetitive (like most Neptunes songs), but "Serious" and "The Real Thing" have her singing just as good as before.

There's always going to be people who love No Doubt and hate her new stuff; there's going to be people (like myself) who appreciate both. You don't have to like them both, and it's not like she quit No Doubt. They'll do something after Gwen's second solo album, which should be out around Christmas time.

Regarding her diet and fashion adventures, that's something completely different. There are other ways to stay thin, and that's her personal choice.
And while her clothing line is ridiculously overpriced, fashion is something she cares about, knows about, and loves to be apart of. Nobody's complaining about Ryan Seacrest's clothing line.

[QUOTE=Charon]I don't think she sold out.
She's sold millions of records with No Doubt; it's not like she needs money.

Regarding her diet and fashion adventures, that's something completely different. There are other ways to stay thin, and that's her personal choice.
And while her clothing line is ridiculously overpriced, fashion is something she cares about, knows about, and loves to be apart of. Nobody's complaining about Ryan Seacrest's clothing line.[/QUOTE][SIZE=1]
I have to kind of agree with Charon in some sense. Every artist is allowed to experiment, ff I could sing, then I would love not to stick to one particular crowd or category and go with what feels right. I own all No Doubt CDS and also the new Gwen CD. I don't really like [b]Holla Back[/b] very much and is probably my least favorite. If anything I find her songs [b]Cool[/b] ( which sounds like a song on her first album of No Doubt ) and [b]What are you waiting for?[/b] more unique from anything I've heard in the media recently.

Anyways, yes I like both. I don't think it was a sell-out album and like someone said before was made to be a 'dance' album. As far as her personal life goes, I don't think anyone should starve themselves to gain popularity in the music buisness but thats all up to her. What I don't get is her trying to promote the Harajuku girls and trying to start a new trend of Japanese clothing. In a way I find it great and different but on the other hand, I just hope her new album talks about something new. I think if I hear the word Harajuku one more time, that'll be enough for me. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I'm not a huge fan of her music, but I have to say this...

She's a great artist. She's extremely versatile, succeeding in nearly every genre of music she touches. She's not going to go away any time soon -- she used a song from Fiddler on the Roof, and melded that into a pop song. How good is that? "If I Were a Rich Girl" takes a few notes from "If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler. A Jewish musical, and she used it. That's innovation there.

I think she looks better than ever -- surely losing those scary hairdo's and dressing semi-normally did her some good.[/SIZE]

[size=1][color=slategray] :O
I still love Gwen Stafani. I loved her in No Doubt, and I still oove her in her "Gone Solo" act. Let's face it, she's still got her same fabulous voice... she just has gone for the "Poppier" sound. I read in some interview with her that she just wanted to make a album you could dance to. I think she definitely completed that goal.
I have her new CD, and I have to admit, some of the songs aren't my style... a little annoying, if you please. But most of the songs that they have on the radio and have made videos for, those are some of the more annoying songs on the CD, though I do like the song "Cool". But, otherwise, she has some great tracks on their. It may be somewhat different from No Doubts sound, but it's still a great sound... if you look at the real songs on their.

Gwen Stafani is still a hot woman, not to mention with a hot sound. You just have to appreciate the changes, not shoot it down because it happened. And, plus, she still has the all around same style, just mixed up a tad.
Though, I do hate the new croud she's attracted... but, whatever sells, goes, I guess. You have to admit, she's been getting a lot of money for these so-called changes, m'dears.
As for me, I still love the woman, she's one of the few female celebrities I like. And I can't wait for her new album... which, by the way, comes out around Christmas... >>[/color][/size]

[size=1]Every time an artist deviates from what they've done before, and just perhaps become that little bit more mainstream, then you get people bitching about how they've 'sold out'. Pop is short for Popular. Gwen's songs are catchy, I'll admit. It isn't music I'm going to go out there and buy, or music I want to listen to. But, y'know, if I hear it on the radio, that's cool. It's catchy music. I quite like Hollaback Girl to be honest. It's catchy, and sounds pretty good.

Her music's genre is hardly Bubblegum Pop. It's just music that has proven attractive to a large enough audience that it has now come under the banner of 'Pop'. So what?

Get over this stigma you've attached to Pop, people.[/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]
She's a great artist. She's extremely versatile, succeeding in nearly every genre of music she touches. She's not going to go away any time soon -- she used a song from Fiddler on the Roof, and melded that into a pop song. How good is that? "If I Were a Rich Girl" takes a few notes from "If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler. A Jewish musical, and she used it. That's innovation there.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Actually, someone else sung "Rich Girl" before Gwen. I think it was Lady Saw and someone else. But, they called it "If I was a Rich Girl" All I remember is that if was a reggae song. But Gwen changed the song.

I like always liked Gwen. The new Gwen's alright. She may be a little obsessed with Harajuku girls and such, but her songs are catchy. :animeswea But, what I want to know is why is she on a diet?! She doesn't need one! And is No Doubt officially broken up, now that she's solo? Or are they gonna pull a Destiny's Child and come back together to break up again? :animesigh

[color=hotpink][size=1]I have no issue with her new stuff and her doing her own thing for now. Sure, I didn't like the album except for "What You Waiting For" and "Hollaback Girl," but I still think she is the sexiest blonde musician there ever was. She can still dance, and she still has fun. Don't let the media fool you into thinking she's sold out. She's still the front lady of No Doubt. All music has to evolve and change.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]. She can still dance, and she still has fun.[/color'][/size][/quote]

[color=darkviolet] If you call teetering around on stilletos dancing go right ahead. Same with saying thjat you're hungry and not eatting anything being fun.

She makes a crap load of money selling her over priced clothes and singing songs that pale in comparison to her old stuff. Yeah, I like [b]Cool[/b] it reminds me of [b]running[/b] And I did catch the Fiddler on the roof (if I were a Rich man) sampling on if I were a rich girl. She also did good in The Aviator, but why can't she try dancing in comfortable shoes?[/color]

[quote name='Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]All music has to evolve and change.[/color'][/size][/quote]

Exactly.

People forget how much No Doubt reinvented their sound.
There's a huge difference between "Trapped in a Box" and "Hella Good".
While the change was a bit softer, those songs are almost the complete opposite of each other.
I see less of a difference between Love, Angel, Music, Baby and the Rock Steady-era No Doubt. (Especially the fact that 'Hella Good' and "Hollaback Girl" were both written with the Neptunes).

[SIZE=1]Sold out is merely a figure of speech, as people have said already it's not as if she needed the money. From my point of veiw she went from making alright, tolerable music, to make horrible music that no one should have to listen to without being paid in advance. It's not the people who like her, the way she looks, whatever, the music is just plain horrible. I couldn't really care less how she looks, for the most part she always looked 'different', the music sucks, period.[/SIZE]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet'] If you call teetering around on stilletos dancing go right ahead. Same with saying thjat you're hungry and not eatting anything being fun.[/color][/quote]
[SIZE=1]While I'm not going to defend her dancing, I will for the eating part, lol. She looks pretty healthy, and from what I can tell she's having the time of her life. Rich. Successful. Nuff said?

[QUOTE][color=darkviolet]She makes a crap load of money selling her over priced clothes and singing songs that pale in comparison to her old stuff. Yeah, I like [b]Cool[/b] it reminds me of [b]running[/b] And I did catch the Fiddler on the roof (if I were a Rich man) sampling on if I were a rich girl. She also did good in The Aviator, but why can't she try dancing in comfortable shoes?[/color][/QUOTE]
So what if she makes "a crap load of money" off clothes? She's in it for the money. You should be blaming the people buying these clothes. And she doesn't dance in comfortable shoes... because she doesn't want to. Perhaps the uncomfortable shoes look better? That's what media is about. Better to look good than to feel good. *shrug*[/SIZE]

I loved Gwen Stefani in No Doubt, but I'm kind of borderline with her new stuff. I think [B]If I were a Rich Girl[/B] is ok, but I can't STAND [B]Hollaback Girl[/B]! That song is everywhere! Yeesh! :animesigh However, I like [B]What you waiting for?[/B] and her new song, [B]Cool.[/B] The latter song reminds me of me and a guy friend of mine. *memories* I haven't bought her new album kind of out of fear because I didn't really like Hollaback, but maybe I'll give her a benefit of a doubt. *shrugs*

[color=darkslateblue] While the fact that she has those four Japanese girls under contract or whatever creeps me out slightly, I don't dislike Gwen Stefani. I love [i]Hollaback Girl[/i], and she looks great. Why is that now everytime someone loses weight, everyone else freaks out and calls them unhealthy or anorexic? It really pisses me off. When everyone was freaking out about Lindsay Lohan, I didn't see the big deal. So what if she wants to be skinny? Who cares, really? All I see is jealousy or some sort of ideal that tells people that losing weight to look skinny is something immoral and narrow-minded. I mean, ok, I did it. I'm not 'unhealthy', and I feel awesome about myself.

She's changed. I personally think her new music is pretty cool. If she's in it for the money, whatever. I see no reason to single Gwen Stefani out of the thousands. [/color]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]^ Agreed.

Gwen can do whatever the hell she wants. I find her a brilliant musician who excells in more styles of music than most. Holla Back is a bit more... Pointless than music I usually listen to, but I genuinely like most of her music. Even Holla Back really has it's charm... To some degree.

What I think is unhealthy is how everyone obseses about famous people. They already have plenty of people judging thier every move, and they're just people, REALLY. Get over it ~_^[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]Exactly right Lunox.

Oh, and Kamuro... [b]you[/b] think her music sucks, but that doesn't mean it does. Obviously it's appealing to a lot of people, neh?[/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]Well, I thought it was self-explanitory that what I said was merely my opinion, just like everyone elses *shrugs*

Whether it's me or someone else, I really don't see the attraction to the music from any standpoint. The beat is really the only attractive thing involved, besides Gwen herself, despite her 'skininess' lol. The lyrics lack passion and the majority of subjects within her songs are basic and mild. To tell you the truth I don't think she would've done nearly as well having not been a part of No Doubt beforehand.

As I've said before, just because music is popular doesn't mean it's good. After taking a look at the top 50 albums, songs, etc. you'll see that a lot of the most popular kinds of music really...suck lol. Sure it's my opinion, but I take a lot of things into account before just concluding that I don't like it. I look at Gwen and I really don't see much musical talent. At least in No Doubt she sang, half of the new CD is merely 'rapping.' Just because she added some new beats doesn't mean she has to discard all the old habits. Everyone wants to do something 'different,' but don't fix it if it isn't broken.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Kamuro][SIZE=1']Everyone wants to do something 'different,' but don't fix it if it isn't broken.[/SIZE][/quote]
If music operated like that, we'd still be in 40s-esque Blues, or earlier still. Don't fix it if it isn't broken only breeds stagnation, which is the exact reason so many bands fail - they operate under that principal and get [b]boring[/b]. They don't experiment, and change their sound, and people end up not caring. Not all experiments are successful, obviously, but crucifying someone because they try a new direction isn't the way to do things.

That said, personally, I don't enjoy Gwen Stefani's current solo venture. But at least she's doing her own thing, instead of pumping out more pre-packaged Britney-esque trash.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='sakurasuka][CENTER][SIZE=1What I think is unhealthy is how everyone obseses about famous people. They already have plenty of people judging thier every move, and they're just people, REALLY. Get over it ~_^[/SIZE'][/CENTER][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]But if we stopped obsessing about celebraties we'd have to go out and get [i]real[/i] lives! :animestun

In some ways I feel sorry for famous people since they really don't get a moment of privacy and everyone is always saying they're either too fat or too skinny (although I fail to see how having the ladder rail (nice little physical feature where you can see the bones arouind where your boobs might be)

But they also have tons of money abnd they knew what they were in for when they became famous.

Live and let die I guess.[/color]

I used to love Gwen Stefani/No Doubt... Now I can't stand her... Every one of her songs is "Harajuku" this and has her japanese backup dancers... It's anoying after a while.. (We get it... You have a thing for the japanese, but... GIVE IT A REST)

"Cool", her latest hit, pisses the hell out of me... ><

The old band songs, like "Different People" and "Ex-girlfriend" are so much better than the stuff she's producing now... Apparently she's gonna create another solo-cd with the stuff that she didn't want to use on her first solo-cd... Great... So we're gonna get a cd of the stuff that she thinks weren't good enough for the first cd :animeangr