OtakuBoards

Hurricane Katrina

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]I don't have a lot of time to create a decent (for me) thread. I'm just going to say that so far this is the worst and most costliest hurricane to reach the US [i][b] ever[/i][/b].

The worst news now- aside from the loss of life and the fact that idiots are making matters worse by looting- is that one of the levees in New Orleans has broken and now the whole city will be under water. It's terrible in two ways, a historic city will now be in ruins and millions of people have lost their homes.

Please share y9our comments on this topic.[/color]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]I don't have a lot of time to create a decent (for me) thread. I'm just going to say that so far this is the worst and most costliest hurricane to reach the US [i][b] ever[/i][/b].

The worst news now- aside from the loss of life and the fact that idiots are making matters worse by looting- is that one of the levees in New Orleans has broken and now the whole city will be under water. It's terrible in two ways, a historic city will now be in ruins and millions of people have lost their homes.

Please share your comments on this topic.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=GREEN]I'm starting to feel like the official OB spokesperson for detailed info on New Orleans :animesigh

Well, first off, thank you, ChibiHorsewoman, for starting this thread. I was going to put one up myself if one didn't show up soon. As most of you know already, I live in New Orleans. I'm currently in north Louisiana staying at a friend's house, but the fact that I have access to a computer is proof that I'm not in the city. My mom and cousin are still there because of their jobs; my mom is a RN and my cousin is a state trooper.

Actually there are [B]two[/B] levee breeches. The second one occured late Monday night and has been the most critical. All Tuesday, National Guardsmen that were deployed there tried to repair the brake with sandbags but finally abandoned the effort Tuesday night. The pumps that normally help drain water from low-lying areas are expected to fail and an additional 9ft of water is expected within the next 12 hours.

With the additional threat of more rising water, officals are considering the likely-hood of evacuating those taking refuge in the Superdome, since conditions there are deterirating fast. They may even have to evacuate the few hospitals in the region that are still running.

I finally managed to get in touch with my mom a few hours ago. She gave me an update on the situation at Children's Hospital where she works. So far they haven't gotten any water (they are located right next to the river, one of the highest points in the city) but they were still moving patients and equipment off the lower floors. They are currently running on emergency generaters and if worse comes to worse, the National Guard will help evacuate patients and personel out of the hospital.

I currently can't get in touch with [B]ANYBODY[/B] on their cell phones; the land-lines aren't much better. I'm just holding out for more information from my family and friends who are now scatered across the Gulf South region. I'll try to keep everyone informed on my [URL=http://myotaku.com/users/ssjsolarprincess/]myO[/URL] page. But if I hear anything major, I'll post it here.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]In response to the looting, I have mixed feelings about that. On the moral side, it's wrong to steal, and it will hugely impact the local economy (so I guess) due to the loss of product. On the other hand, however, what are these people supposed to do? Wait until the store opens again? After a day or so, and your food spoils, you're hungry, and you do what you need to do to survive. Personally, I would loot the store too, but only for food and necessities (a dry shirt, perhaps).[/SIZE]

[color=crimson]I'm fairly certain after surviving my home/city's decimation by a hurricane and then, rather promptly, watch it flood more from levee failures I wouldn't be sitting down and debating the morality of my actions to acquire material goods. I think you are beyond being able to think objectively/logically/morally at that point. I'm not condoning or endorsing their actions, but I can't really say that in such a unreal situation that I wouldn't be doing something similar.

NO is the focus of this topic thusfar, but alot of areas in Alabama, Mississippi [Biloxi] and elsewhere were severely damaged. There was an overplayed segment where this distraught black man was describing his wife literally being ripped from his hands. It was hard to watch the whole thing, he was so decimated by the event. The backdrop was ruination, the person looked as ruined as the environment around him, the reporter was crying. Surreal.

It's hard for me to sit and try to imagine myself in such a situation. I can't say that "I understand" the chaos, loss or pain people are going through. I can emulate it in my mind only to a degree. The reality must be much, much worse. All I can wish to all affected is better fortune than what they have had thusfar. Do your best.

I usually like to close off my posts with something amusing, but my wit fails me on this topic. I could make some sort of comment about Bush finally coming back from his vacation but Bush humor is dull. Oh well. :sleep:[/color]

[color=#6699cc][url=http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/31/katrina.glance31.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest]Katrina's effects 'at a glance'[/url].

I can't imagine what it would be like to experience anything like this. I don't watch TV anymore, but I remember vividly the accounts and footage for Hurricane Andrew (1992) when I was a little girl. By all statistics and accounts I've drug up, Katrina's kicking Andrew's butt.

Not that that's a good thing, mind you.

I believe Andrew was Cat 5 on landfall. Katrina hit Cat 5 over water, but chilled out a bit before landfall at Cat 4. Thank goodness.

[b]Edit[/b]: For the record, hurricane 'badness' is measured by three things: cost/property damage, number of deaths, and central pressure (low is bad.)

Katrina beat Andrew out of the top three for central pressure. Deaths and costliness can only be estimated, although cost is estimated between $25 and 65 billion. (For reference, Andrew is currently the most costly, as about $25 billion. Does anyone know what last year's hurricane season totalled up as?)

As for fatalities, I know Mitch wiped out 15,000 people several years ago, but that was in Central America. I don't know what the deadliest hurricane is/wa for the US. [/color]

[COLOR=#004a6f][QUOTE]I can't imagine what it would be like to experience anything like this. I don't watch TV anymore, but I remember vividly the accounts and footage for Hurricane Andrew (1992) when I was a little girl. By all statistics and accounts I've drug up, Katrina's kicking Andrew's butt.

Not that that's a good thing, mind you.

I believe Andrew was Cat 5 on landfall. Katrina hit Cat 5 over water, but chilled out a bit before landfall at Cat 4. Thank goodness[/QUOTE]I thought hurricanes were named based on their disctructiveness or strength. I was told in geography class that Hurricanes whose name begin with A are stronger than those whose names begin with B. So why is this hurricane named Katrina if it's so strong.

The the hurricane is moving north to Canada, specifically to southern ontario, where I live (YIKES!). But it's looks like its going to die down significantly. It could still cause flooding, and traffic disruption though.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']The the hurricane is moving north to Canada, specifically to southern ontario, where I live (YIKES!). But it's looks like its going to die down significantly. It could still cause flooding, and traffic disruption though.[/COLOR][/quote]

You mean exactly like what happened a couple weeks ago?

Don't fret--last I heard, there was a chance that we wouldn't be affected by the thing [i]at all[/i]. If we do get rain like we did during the storm, though, avoid Lake Ontario like the plague. o_o;;

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']I thought hurricanes were named based on their disctructiveness or strength. I was told in geography class that Hurricanes whose name begin with A are stronger than those whose names begin with B. So why is this hurricane named Katrina if it's so strong.[/COLOR][/quote][color=#6699cc]That's actually untrue.

There are six sets of names used for hurricanes. Each list has...well, I'm not sure how many names it has. I could look it up, but basically, it has about twenty names. Each name starts with a letter of the alphabet (Letters like Q, X, and Z don't get names.)

The first storm of the season is given the "A" name. The next one is given the "B" name, and so on down the line. (You might remember hearing about Bonnie, Charley, Danielle, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne last year.) (There were actually storms with A, E, G, H, K, L, M, and O as well, but I don't know their names.)

Every six years, you go back to list number one, and start using those names again. Really bad storms have their names "retired" and replaced. (You won't ever hear of another Mitch, Andrew, or Camille, for example.)[/color]

[COLOR=#004a6f][QUOTE=Godelsensei]You mean exactly like what happened a couple weeks ago?

Don't fret--last I heard, there was a chance that we wouldn't be affected by the thing [i]at all[/i]. If we do get rain like we did during the storm, though, avoid Lake Ontario like the plague. o_o;;[/QUOTE]That's good to hear. I always hear about hurricanes turning into light storms for us, but the news made it seem like this time it might be worse. We might actualy get flooding! We never got flooding in my city before.[/COLOR]

Hey, look who finally found a library. >_>;

Katrina is a real *****. That pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter. Mom and I packed up the car with pretty much bare essentials and left. We originally hit the contra-flow north to Hammond, but got on I-55 instead of I-12 -- ended up in Brookhaven as opposed to Alexandria. So, long story short, we went along some pretty minor roads and came out to Sunset, Louisiana, about ... 150 miles west of New Orleans. I've been in this shithole of a motel room since Sunday morning. I'm not kidding when I say I've been in prison cells bigger than this place. We're heading up to Montgomery now, renting a place from a friend of my mom's, and it looks like we'll have to be there for about a month before we are able to even get back to town.

Hopefully, the reports I've heard about my area [Metairie, specifically, right at W. Metairie and Edenborn, for those of you who might know specifics] are more or less correct, and I won't have major flooding like the CBD.

...I've been through some pretty wild stages since Saturday afternoon. To list them: Annoyance, cautious optimism, sullen hope, distant recognition, and finally fury. A few people I've talked to extensively know why this made me so mad, why this was such a big deal even though by most accounts I personally managed to [hopefully] escape major damage. But that's something I won't get into now. I just really hope those that are still alive get a head on their shoulders and get the Hell out of town.

I can understand the sacking of, say, a Winn-Dixie. Maybe the groceries of Wal-Mart. Food is essential for life, so are water and medicinal sources. But I'm seeing people take PS2s and TVs and ****. The guns...eh. I could understand one or two being taken, because it is getting kind of rough out there...but the whole section? I heard of a group of people jackin' limos and hearses and just literally taking entire stores of vain crap, and then they broke into a few pawn shops and armed themselves.

...Maybe the levee breaches are God's way of saying "Get teh ******* out."

Best of wishes to all, and especially to those in places like Gulfport, Biloxi, and Mobile, those that did not have a chance to pack up and leave. It's just mindboggling how we sit here flooded, but they have nothing, yet are as dry as a whistle. Storm surge my ***...that was a goddamn miniature tsunami.

*sigh*

P.S. Katrina isn't even a TD now, so don't worry too much. -__-;

[b][color=DarkGreen][size=1]Chaos, spelling swear words funny ways makes the auto-censoring go bananas. Always better not to swear at all than to risk the censorer missing it, ne? This board is open for all to read, remember. I've starred your language out myself for now.
[/size][/color][/b] [right][color=DarkGreen][size=1]-Raiyuu[/size][/color]
[/right]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']I thought hurricanes were named based on their disctructiveness or strength. I was told in geography class that Hurricanes whose name begin with A are stronger than those whose names begin with B. So why is this hurricane named Katrina if it's so strong.[/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=GREEN]Well, Lore pretty much answered this question, but yeah, hurricane names go in alphabetical order, alternating by gender. For example, the list of names of storms so far go as such: Arline, Bret, Cindy, Dennis, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irene, Jose, and [B]Katrina[/B].[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Chaos]Katrina is a real *****. That pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter. Mom and I packed up the car with pretty much bare essentials and left. We originally hit the contra-flow north to Hammond, but got on I-55 instead of I-12 -- ended up in Brookhaven as opposed to Alexandria. So, long story short, we went along some pretty minor roads and came out to Sunset, Louisiana, about ... 150 miles west of New Orleans. I've been in this shithole of a motel room since Sunday morning. I'm not kidding when I say I've been in prison cells bigger than this place. We're heading up to Montgomery now, renting a place from a friend of my mom's, and it looks like we'll have to be there for about a month before we are able to even get back to town.

Hopefully, the reports I've heard about my area [Metairie, specifically, right at W. Metairie and Edenborn, for those of you who might know specifics] are more or less correct, and I won't have major flooding like the CBD.

...I've been through some pretty wild stages since Saturday afternoon. To list them: Annoyance, cautious optimism, sullen hope, distant recognition, and finally fury. A few people I've talked to extensively know why this made me so mad, why this was such a big deal even though by most accounts I personally managed to [hopefully] escape major damage. But that's something I won't get into now. I just really hope those that are still alive get a head on their shoulders and get the Hell out of town.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=GREEN]Well, first of, Chaos, you should be greatful you don't have to stay in a shelter. I've heard contitions in the shelters down there are dropping fast. Also if your still in school (middle or high), I'd would get used to the prospect of going to school where you are, since I heard Jeff. parish probily won't be starting school until Dec. 1st!

Also, I have fresh news updates that officals will soon be evacuating the refugees in the Superdome to the Houston Astrodome. And finally some good news: the water stopped rising in the city! Hopefully this means that they will soon be able to drain the city and the reconstruction opperation can begin.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']That's good to hear. I always hear about hurricanes turning into light storms for us, but the news made it seem like this time it might be worse. We might actualy get flooding! We never got flooding in my city before.[/COLOR][/quote]

I thought you from Toronto? Guess not. : / Because we had some flooding during the last storm. Nothing that even compares to what's happened/ing in New Orleans, but there were cars totally submerged in some places. The ravine behind my house had about two meters of water in it and it's about fifteen across.

All this water business makes you really thankful you don't live somewhere where this kind of thing goes down [i]yearly[/i]. Then again, people in those places tend to be prepared, so I guess the effects are less catastrophic.

I still can't imagine why any one in New Orleans would have stayed at home, however, and not sought higher ground.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I'm not sure if it's appropriate to vent here about this, but I still have not heard from my close friend of ten years, who's flat was about 3 blocks from the river in New Orleans.

The lack of certainty for his well-being is nearly unbearable, as I listen to the reports of corpses floating everywhere, and the lack of fresh water for those who have managed to survive thus far.

I am, however, relieved that my brother returned from living with my friend in New Orleans just a few weeks ago, or I would be in quite a state (aka-sedated and drooling on the floor of my padded cell)...but the relief that my brother is safe does not negate my concern for my friend in the slightest.

My thoughts and my hope are with him...and with all the victims (and their families) of this devistating storm.

Again, I apologise if this was not the right place to vent my concerns.

[/font][/b]

[COLOR=DarkRed]New Orleans is Sinking, man, and I don't wannnna swim...

Truely this is a tragedy. I heared reports that it would be six months before anyone returned to live in New Orleans, if they ever do manage to unflood the city. Afterall, the city is two meters below sea level and it's on the water, plus it was sinking the whole time. A tragedy of this scale was innevitable to the people of New Orleans, but I think that if the Authorities had known it would happen this suddenly and this horrifically they would have made better plans beforehand.

Katrina's rampage isn't just reserved for New Orleans or North America, probably the most lasting effects will be felt from the fact that, as it passed, 95% of all oil production in the Gulf of Mexico was shut down, raising the price of an oil drum to well higher than ever recorded. Knowing the oil companies, they'll likely use this tragedy as an excuse to raise the price and just never drop it. Heartless bastards :animeangr [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=elfpirate][b][font=Comic Sans MS]I'm not sure if it's appropriate to vent here about this, but I still have not heard from my close friend of ten years, who's flat was about 3 blocks from the river in New Orleans.

The lack of certainty for his well-being is nearly unbearable, as I listen to the reports of corpses floating everywhere, and the lack of fresh water for those who have managed to survive thus far.

I am, however, relieved that my brother returned from living with my friend in New Orleans just a few weeks ago, or I would be in quite a state (aka-sedated and drooling on the floor of my padded cell)...but the relief that my brother is safe does not negate my concern for my friend in the slightest.

My thoughts and my hope are with him...and with all the victims (and their families) of this devistating storm.

Again, I apologise if this was not the right place to vent my concerns.

[/font][/b][/QUOTE]

I would never consider worry or concern over a friend involved in the disaster inappropriate. I too would be beside myself if someone I knew was in the path of the Hurricane.

I am fortunate as my only problem with the Hurricane was in the delays caused when I flew to Utah as I had been back East visiting my family for several weeks. The flight cancellations and flight diversions resulted in a very long travel day for me. Yet it is nothing compared to those who have lost loved ones and their homes to the disaster.

I am glad to hear that your brother is out of harms way and I sincerely hope that your friend is all right as well. Till later.

indifference

[COLOR=DarkRed]I just found [URL=http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/002331.html]this[/URL] on the web. Apperently, money supposed to go to extending and strengthining the leevies in 2003 was diverted to the Iraq war. Many speculate that the budget diverted would have been sufficient to hold back to flood water and withstand the hurricane.

When the wiegggggggggggggggggggghtttttttttt come down...[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]It's hell down there, man.

The last time I've been to New Orleans was maybe six or seven years ago, when I used to live in Ruston, Louisiana. That was before I moved to Jeddah. I was planning on going to LSU in Baton Rouge for college, but now, I'm kind of scared that something like that could happen again. Louisiana always has been a kind of bad-weather place.[/SIZE]

I think it really sucks for the People out in New Orleans .

Especially when thousands of people died, hundreds of pets died, a cool tourist attraction died, and it seems that time stopped there. Hurricane Katrina took thousands of lives which isn't cool.

So don't get me wrong I'm trying to be funny or anything about this horriable tradgedy, but right now New Orleans official has the title," New Atlantis"
The exact same thing that happened to the mythical city Atlantis, had happened to New Orleans. Thousands of people died without warning. In New Orleans thousands of people drowned either in their basement or their houses. I just want to say that my family continues to pray about this issue. And if any of you guys have a friend or family member out there.....my family is praying for you guys.

[color=darkslateblue] Although I'm concerned for all the people getting/have been hit, I'm also concerned about the gas prices. This is will make them rise even more, and more quickly, and I while I have NO clue about talking about the economy, I'm sure this will make it worse. I'm even guessing that energy bills will rise, and most of the working class will suffer. A lot. I mean, today our local gas stations announced that they won't be giving out gas after 5, and my mom is in this gigantic line to get gas. Down here, the gas is usually around $2.60, and it will probably rise up to $4.00. Yeah, I know that there are tons of places in the US that are already paying $3.60 for gas, but we've been accustomed to paying $2.60, so...I just don't want 582752 people yelling at me saying that we're lucky or whatever.

It's particularly bad for our family, because we run a food market for lower-income classes, and the rise of gas prices will probably make them buy less. And our business was not exactly booming to begin with.

On the other hand, my friend has a family of six, and five of her relatives are coming to stay with her for a month because their house is half underwater.

I think I hate hurricanes forever.[/color]

[quote name='Shadow Blade'] And if any of you guys have a friend or family member out there.....my family is praying for you guys.[/quote]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks to you and your family--it's appreciated.

Indeed, the prices of gasoline, etc, shall rise considerably, and it'll be expensive to take my trip in mid-September, and to heat my home when winter bears down on us...but I'll gladly pay it, if that is the worst loss I shall suffer from this tragic event. Money means very little to me. A few dollars more per gallon is bearable considering what so many have already lost. At least I have a home and a vehicle to heat and fuel up, and I still have my life.

I am much more concerned about the loss of human life than I am about the economic results of the storm.
[/font][/b]

[color=#9933ff]Believe it or not, I first thought of Chaos, and wondered how he was doing - glad to hear you're okay man.

I'm glad you're alright, as well, SolarPrincess. To elfpirate: I will pray for your friend's safety.

I heard someone compare Katrina to the Asian Tsunami, and things seem pretty much the same to me. New Orleans, the states of Louisiana, MI, AL, GA, etc., are completely devastated. No lights, no food, no running water - third world conditions.

And now there's the looting (I can understand food and water, but electronics and jewelry - what the hell is wrong with you), people shooting each other, and that fire raging now, but there's not enough water to put it out. Now I can sort of see why there's so much violence in those third world countries.

I am concerned about the people in that area, as well as the economic effects (it's 2.99 where I am, almost $4 in Chicago I heard, and whispers of $5 are abound). Although, the human aspect of the devestation certainly takes precedent. [/color]

[QUOTE=elfpirate][b][font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks to you and your family--it's appreciated.

Indeed, the prices of gasoline, etc, shall rise considerably, and it'll be expensive to take my trip in mid-September, and to heat my home when winter bears down on us...but I'll gladly pay it, if that is the worst loss I shall suffer from this tragic event. Money means very little to me. A few dollars more per gallon is bearable considering what so many have already lost. At least I have a home and a vehicle to heat and fuel up, and I still have my life.

I am much more concerned about the loss of human life than I am about the economic results of the storm.
[/font][/b][/QUOTE]

[color=darkslateblue] Yeah, definately human lives are more important than gas prices, but I just wanted to bring the topic up. Hope no one misunderstands. :/ I was talking to my friend from Chicago, and he told that where he lived the prices have already risen up to 4 dollars. My mom just called me and told me she spent 80 dollars. o_o

I stopped watching news coverage on the hurricane (I only check online now) because of the huge amount of stories about peoples' wrecked homes and families. I remember about two days ago, my friend's mom was praying nonstop because their whole family basically lives in the New Orleans area. My friend lived in southern Florida and I was out of contact with him for three days, I was pretty worried. :/

And not the mention the diseases that will come about to further plague the people...cholera, typhoid, and just other water-related sicknesses.
[/color]

[COLOR=GREEN]I've been watching the news all day, and I think it's really starting to hit me that my life may never be the same again. elfpirate, I really feel your pain in now knowing the condition on your friend. Even though I have talked to several people I know, but there are still others I haven't been able to get through to, including my dad in Pearl River county, MS, whom I haven't heard from since Monday morning. But from what I've heard, the areas closest to the river were [B]NOT[/B] effected too badly by rising water. The flooding originated at Lake Ponchitrain and flowed south towards the river, but never really reach it. So the closer to river, or fearther from the lake, the less water you got.

I count my blessings and feel greatly fortunate that I was able to leave the city, that most of my family is safe, that I don't have to stay in a shelter, and that my normal rutine shouldn't be too disrupted since I'm about to start classes again at my college which is located up in North Louisiana. My home city is mostly under feet of toxic water; it really looks like a warzone. I just have to wonder, will life ever be restored to normal in the Big Easy?[/COLOR]

As usual, the Westborough Baptist Boys seem to be having a good time in all this.. [url="http://www.godhatesfags.com/featured/20050831_thank-god-for-katrina.html"]http://www.godhatesfags.com/featured/20050831_thank-god-for-katrina.html[/url]

I'll never understand those guys.. I don't think they'll die happy until they've thanked God for just about every disaster that can come upon a place.

I just heard about this earlier today at work- that's where I seem to be hearing about a lot of things lately, like the London Bombings too (though I was the first of us to recieve the news in that unique case :p). I actually couldn't believe it- for one thing it seems incredible for something affecting the world so much (in that the whole world knows about it) could completely pass me by these days.