OtakuBoards

Hurricane Katrina

ChibiHorsewoman

[font=trebuchet ms]Kids from New Orleans have made their way here (to family, I'm guessing). Three kids, all freshmen, one guy and two girls, are currently at my high school and more are arriving by the end of the week. I donated some of my clothes to Ryan, he only had one suitacse full of stuff between his family. We've become good friends already and he said that there would be no coaxing him to moving back.[/font]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lunox][color=darkslateblue'] Sadly, I almost believe it. But do you have any sources? I've looked around on Google and I can't really find any article that directly says the US is rejecting Canada's aid. [/color][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed]It was a bit dramatized because, well, I was bored. Paul Martin did personally phone Bush as well as several others and offered support, told them DART and tonnes of aide were on standby but Bush apperently turned it down. DART aswell as the rest of the Canadian millitary couldn't move without the permission of the host country - on wednesday, they asked and they didn't get it.

I'm happy to hear that finally DART is on the move and will leave by tuesday to help the relife efforts in New Orleans. But I'm just afraid of how many more will die in the waiting process because Bush didn't let them in from the get go.
[/COLOR]
[URL=http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1125597613680_121006813?hub=topstories]Here's a bit of the story, you might wanna ignore some of the Stockwell Day crap and just focus on the top.[/URL]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Once again, the media manages to turn people against each other.

There are thousands of people dead, thousands more who will die if they can't get help, and all anyone seems to be concerned about is who's to blame for the lack of preparation. Every time they get someone talking on the news, they hammer them with questions like "Well isn't it true ----- could have been done to prevent such devastation?"

Why don't they concentrate on something like [I]actually helping people[/I] instead of arguing about how the situation [I]could have[/I] been better? It is what it is- do what you can.

The last thing they need in New Orleans is the media stirring up controversy- I'm just glad there are still sane people around to organize donations and distribution of supplies.

[QUOTE=Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed]
Shady, yea. But shooting at Med Evacs? That's just... wtf? One of my friends aunts worked in one of the hospitals along the river until recently when she was rescued, but they've been working tirelessly to keep 350 critical patients from dieing, literally keeping them alive with manual lung-pump thingies. One of the nurses went out to get a breath of air and was attacked and robbed. I know the Big Easy has a history... but...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Apparently, mankind is determined to bring itself to extinction... it's beyond me why someone would snipe a helicopter that was trying to [I]save people[/I]. What is there to gain? Of course, I don't suppose these people are thinking very rationally...[/COLOR]

Life really can backfire, can't it? This hurricane has taken too much from me. Even though I'm in Alaska most of the year, I did have a home in Gulfport, MS, which is gone. Most importantly, my brother, Jaassenje, lived in New Orleans and is gone now because his car gave out on the interstate and no one would help him, leaving him stranded, to be taken by the waters of Lake Pontchartrain. I--I can't say anymore because these memories of his passing are eating at me...

I'm sorry, I must go.

[SIZE=1]Okay, shady is one thing but there is seriously something wrong with people who are shooting at Med Evacs and hospitals. What could someone possibly gain from doing that, talk about biting the hand that feeds. Whatever happened to the survival instinct, cause shooting aid is not pertaining to survival in my book.

In a crisis people either band together and help e.g 9/11, or complete chaos erupts a la now.

The weird thing is, scientists saw this coming. if you read [i][URL=http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/index.html]this article[/URL][/i] from National Geographic in 2004, it details what would happen if a massive storm were to hit New Orleans. Its very unsettling.

I doubt The Big Easy is ever going to be the same again.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]New Orleans just goes to prove the old addage that no matter how sophisticated you are, your just two days away from anarchy and three meals from canibalism. I mean in supposedly uncivilized countries like Inda or Sri Lanka notihng like this happens. I remember reading first hand accounts of people in India. There were no muggings or shootings or any of that, people were only concerned with helping eachother. Why is it that we supposedly civillized cultures can't just help eachother instead of sniping at med evacs? [/COLOR]

Guest Kyogurl
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3]The fedreal gov. is making me real mad they sholuld have tryed 2 get people far away as possbile. Why did it take them 5 days 2 get the people food and water they should have been out there right after the hurrican hit not five days after. This make on since people over seas think that we idiots, because the fedreal gov took 5 days to help the people. And prez. Bush is pointin the finger at gov. isn't he part of the gov.2.[[/SIZE]SIZE=4]Do u think it's Prez. Bush fault for taking 4-5 days to help N.O.?[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] :animecry: :animeangr :(

[quote name='Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed']New Orleans just goes to prove the old addage that no matter how sophisticated you are, your just two days away from anarchy and three meals from canibalism. I mean in supposedly uncivilized countries like Inda or Sri Lanka notihng like this happens. I remember reading first hand accounts of people in India. There were no muggings or shootings or any of that, people were only concerned with helping eachother. Why is it that we supposedly civillized cultures can't just help eachother instead of sniping at med evacs? [/COLOR][/quote]
What the hell are you talking about? After the tsunami there were reports of children that were orphaned from the storm were being sold into sex slavery.

[quote name='Harry']What the hell are you talking about? After the tsunami there were reports of children that were orphaned from the storm were being sold into sex slavery.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Sri Lanka and India aren't Indonesia. First-hand accounts from Sri Lankans and Indians are more credible than Faux News or any news saurce for that matter.[/COLOR]

Sri Lanka and India aren't Indonesia. First-hand accounts from Sri Lankans and Indians are more credible than Faux News or any news saurce for that matter.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Everytime you post you amaze me.

[COLOR=GREEN]Ok, I may have a theory about how things go so out of hand so quickly in New Orleans. For one, you've got to understand that there is a lot of crime and drug addiction in the city. Some addicts just when crazy when they went a day or two without their usual "fix". Then there are also a good number of violent gangs in the city. In fact, many don't know that this summer has been a very violent one for N O. In one week alone there were three murder-suisides, and only less than a month before this, a mother and her young daughter were both found shot in the face in their home. And this was all [B]before[/B] the chaos of Katrina's aftermath. So in a way, I'm kind of not surprised that this sort of thing got out of hand.[/COLOR]

[font=Trebuchet MS]Harry, quit sniping at Ilium. I don't care what you think of him or his posts and neither does anyone else reading this thread. Stay on topic or stay out of the thread.

Raccoon Chick, please put more substance into your posts. We emphasise good post quality here and posts where the number of smileys is equal to the number of words will usually be considered spam. Try reading the Rules and FAQ (located on the left sidebar) or contact myself, Stuart or Panda for answers to any questions you may have.
[/font]

[color=darkviolet]I just fouind out that my babysitter 9well ok my daughter's babysitter, but you get teh idea) has family down there (brother sister-in-law and 4 nieces) and she hasn't heard from them yet.

I want to find somewhere that is taking food donations because I can't get the image of parents watching their children starve to death out of my head and I have boxes of baby cereal and tons of food downstairs that I can donate.

Tyler, I really don't know what to say to you. I've never experianced losing someone that way.[/color]

[quote name='Kyogurl][COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Garamond]Do u think it's Prez. Bush fault for taking 4-5 days to help N.O.?[/FONT][/COLOR'] :animecry: :animeangr :([/quote]
Yes. I believe that, somehow, President Bush made a huge blockade stopping people from getting into New Orleans and Biloxi. Somehow it's always his fault. After all, who is our glorious all-knowing all- powerful tyrranic dictator?

[quote name='Morpheus']Yes. I believe that, somehow, President Bush made a huge blockade stopping people from getting into New Orleans and Biloxi. Somehow it's always his fault. After all, who is our glorious all-knowing all- powerful tyrranic dictator?[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Would you consider not allowing other countries to help blockading?

And maybe Bush himself wasn't directly blocading it, but somone was. FEMA.

[URL=http://www.overspun.com/?p=1549]Here's an Interview with a Survivor[/URL]

Here's a transcrip if you dont want to watch the heart-wrenching video.

[QUOTE]Let me give you just three quick examples. We had Wal-Mart deliver three trucks of water, trailer trucks of water. FEMA turned them back. They said we didn't need them. This was a week ago. FEMA--we had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel docked in my parish. The Coast Guard said, "Come get the fuel right away." When we got there with our trucks, they got a word. "FEMA says don't give you the fuel." Yesterday--yesterday--FEMA comes in and cuts all of our emergency communication lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in, he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards on our line and says, "No one is getting near these lines."

The guy who runs this building I'm in. Emergency management. He's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said. Are you coming. Son? Is somebody coming? And he said yeah. Mama. Somebody's coming to get you.. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday. And she drowned Friday night. And she drowned Friday night. Nobody's coming to get us. Nobody's coming to get us. The Secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For god's sakes, just shut up and send us somebody.?Aaron Broussard[/QUOTE] [/COLOR]

Would you consider not allowing other countries to help blockading?

And maybe Bush himself wasn't directly blocading it, but somone was. FEMA.

[URL=http://www.overspun.com/?p=1549]Here's an Interview with a Survivor[/URL]

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]Holy **** that's just.... Well, I didn't watch the video because I've already seen too much stuff happening to all the survivors. I mean **** (sorry there's just no other word to really use even crap doesn't cover it! ) These people survived a catergory 4 hurricane just to die of starvation and insulin shock!

THere was no problem getting aide to FLorida last year when they had 4 hurricanes there! Why are these states different? LIke I've said before and I'm saying again. Parents are watching their children [i][b][size=3]DIE[/i][/b][/size] and children are watching their elderly parents suffere and die for all things sacred. Why is aide to these people only coming today nearly a [i]week[/i] after this? That's just a bunch of bad kharma waiting to happen for Bush.[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]Holy **** that's just.... Well, I didn't watch the video because I've already seen too much stuff happening to all the survivors. I mean **** (sorry there's just no other word to really use even crap doesn't cover it! ) These people survived a catergory 4 hurricane just to die of starvation and insulin shock!

THere was no problem getting aide to FLorida last year when they had 4 hurricanes there! Why are these states different? LIke I've said before and I'm saying again. Parents are watching their children [i][b][size=3]DIE[/i][/b][/size] and children are watching their elderly parents suffere and die for all things sacred. Why is aide to these people only coming today nearly a [i]week[/i] after this? That's just a bunch of bad kharma waiting to happen for Bush.[/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
I really don't know, it's very, very odd. In places like California that are earthquake prone, billions a year are spent on defence and evacuation plans; almost nothing like that in New Orleans. I mean the bloody city is two meters below Sea Level [I]on the sea[/I]. Wouldn't you expect some super-detailed evac plan for the eventuallity that the city will sink? Wouldn't you think that they would have a way to evac the city, especially considering they had weeks to prepare for it?

Just a thought:
Maybe Bush waited a week because he didn't need the votes. Maybe it's because it's a predomenently Democratic, Black, bleow-the-poverty-line city. Things to ponder...[/COLOR]

I really don't know, it's very, very odd. In places like California that are earthquake prone, billions a year are spent on defence and evacuation plans; almost nothing like that in New Orleans. I mean the bloody city is two meters below Sea Level [I]on the sea[/I]. Wouldn't you expect some super-detailed evac plan for the eventuallity that the city will sink? Wouldn't you think that they would have a way to evac the city, especially considering they had weeks to prepare for it? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to remember a few days prior to landfall a [B]mandatory evacuation order[/B] in which the government opened all southbound lanes in LA and AL to northbound traffic. In no way am I saying that people in New Orleans or Biloxi deserved any of this, but you wouldn't have to say get the **** out to me more than once.

[quote name='Morpheus]Maybe it's just me, but I seem to remember a few days prior to landfall a [B]mandatory evacuation order[/B'] in which the government opened all southbound lanes in LA and AL to northbound traffic. In no way am I saying that people in New Orleans or Biloxi deserved any of this, but you wouldn't have to say get the **** out to me more than once.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Well, Ryan, that did happen. But not everyone in LA, AL, and MI (where Biloxi is) had transportation or the money to stay somewhere else.

Also some people feel that it's their duty as residents to stick out hurricanes- many had done so three years ago (sorry, I forgot the name of that one, but I drove through it in OH) and it wans't nearly as bad. Maybe they figured this one wouldn't be as bad as it was.

I've heard reports of children being raped by som people now too. My God is there nothing these people won't have to go through?[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]Well, Ryan, that did happen. But not everyone in LA, AL, and MI (where Biloxi is) had transportation or the money to stay somewhere else.

Also some people feel that it's their duty as residents to stick out hurricanes- many had done so three years ago (sorry, I forgot the name of that one, but I drove through it in OH) and it wans't nearly as bad. Maybe they figured this one wouldn't be as bad as it was.[/color][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]If there's a [B]city-wide manditory evacuation[/B] being held, you know the Hurricane means business. To all those who decided to stick it out, to hunker down and see what would happen, you're retards. That's why the death toll is going to be so high. Yes, there are those who lacked the means of leaving the city. That doesn't mean you just sit at your house and let the sh_t hit the fan. Hitch-hike, use public transportation, whatever you can do to leave the area, do it.[/SIZE]

Guest BamboozledAnime
[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Arial Narrow]I myself live in Louisianna, but luckily for me, where I am at (the top left corner of it) we did not get hit by Katrina's fury. We still feel her after effects, because the days after, the stores around us, wherever we went to buy things, ALL the name brand products that people buy, were gone from off the shelves. Not only that, but the local gas stations prices were shooting up it seemed like every 30 minutes. My parents had planned to go on a trip, but after seeing what has happened, and the cost of gasoline, they decided to ditch the idea. I feel quite sorry for the people in New Orleans. I know it is wrong for people to steal, but some of those people are still panic stricken, and have yet to recieve help, so they have nothing else BUT to steal food, clothing, etc. for them and their family/friends. I just wish aid was rushed a little bit more than it was. And for the people who are wielding weapons, some of those people, (I believe) are just holding onto those to protect themselves from the people who are still not mentally stable from the events that have taken place, but I DO wish that some of them, would not resort to shooting the people that are trying to HELP them. I really do hope things get better for people there, as well as the other places which have been hit by one of the U.S's worst Hurricanes ever :( I'm just glad to see so many people trying to help in as many ways as they can, it really warms my heart knowing this.[/FONT[/COLOR]]

[quote name='Retribution][SIZE=1]If there's a [B]city-wide manditory evacuation[/B'] being held, you know the Hurricane means business. To all those who decided to stick it out, to hunker down and see what would happen, you're retards. That's why the death toll is going to be so high. Yes, there are those who lacked the means of leaving the city. That doesn't mean you just sit at your house and let the sh_t hit the fan. Hitch-hike, use public transportation, whatever you can do to leave the area, do it.[/SIZE][/quote]

It's useless to say "they should've done so" when the damage has already happen, Retri - it's quite cruel too. Now the U.S. government should concentrate on helping those people, and I'm truly sickened by the fact that some officials diminished the situation in New Orleans so that sufficient help arrived a week later thatn it was supposed to.

What I, as a foreigner who has been [I]objectively[/I] followed the U.S. politics, would wish that this catastrophe would teach is that Bush has continuously shoved money and resources [I]outside[/I] the States, [I]away[/I] from the people that elected him. He simply doesn't seem to give a crap about his own people, it's just all about war and oil and economics! Capitalism at its worst!

I really hope this horrible event will open the eyes of people of America, like the Afghanistan and Iraq wars opened the eyes of people here in Europe.

Your government is rotten.

Just a thought:
Maybe Bush waited a week because he didn't need the votes. Maybe it's because it's a predomenently Democratic, Black, bleow-the-poverty-line city. Things to ponder...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkslateblue] I completely agree with you that this is a very possible idea. I was actually arguing over it with someone at church the other day. Anyway. Think about it. Bush. He's the picture of a rich, white guy who happens to be obsessed with bringing Christianity onto others and being slightly racist. New Orleans. Black people and poverty. Seriously, I now have to go against what I said and question why the hell Bush didn't answer so immediately. It probably wasn't the main reason, but it's still possible that it was a large side factor. Which is ******* disgusting enough as it is. Cops do the same thing, too. They just don't respond to some crimes when it's too 'sensitive', load of BS.

I don't care, right now, about whether Bush's budget cuts caused greater damage or whatever, but when party of YOUR COUNTRY happens to be ravished by a natural disaster and people are dying left and right, you don't wait SEVERAL DAYS to send help.[/color]

[quote name='Sage']It's useless to say "they should've done so" when the damage has already happen, Retri - it's quite cruel too. Now the U.S. government should concentrate on helping those people, and I'm truly sickened by the fact that some officials diminished the situation in New Orleans so that sufficient help arrived a week later thatn it was supposed to.[/quote]
[SIZE=1]True, it's useless, but I was telling Chibi something. I wasn't preaching, I was saying that those who camped out by choice aren't getting as much sympathy, as those who just couldn't physically make it out, from me at least. As for it being cruel, I don't think so - I think I was being pretty reasonable. And really, are we disallowed to remark on what should have been done, for the reason it might be cruel to the person? No! That's what history is. We remark about what should have happened. And yes, you do what you can in the present to help people.

[QUOTE]Your government is rotten.[/QUOTE]
Well, I'm no Bush fan, but I know enough to say that my country's government is not rotten. Yes, those holding office have different view from me [or you, for that matter], but that doesn't automatically make it a rotten-to-the-core system. Really, I'd like to think that the American government has more intergrity than that of the Chinese.[/SIZE]