OtakuBoards

Fate

ChibiSaki

[COLOR=Plum][FONT=Comic Sans MS]ok i guess everyone knows what fate,destiny and all that "it happened because it was meant to happen" stuff is.but do u really believe in that stuff?is it real?.if so...does free will exist.if everything has been decided for us then how is there free will?if the choices we make were all part of fate then were they really our choices.has everything been planned for us ?has "God" really laid out our story and were just following it the way it was written?

i personally dont know what to believe but just live my life the way it goes.lol.does that mean im following my fate?jee...i have no clue.oh wellz tell me what u think.^^[/FONT][/COLOR]

I never personally believed in a "fate" really. I believe more in a goal-oriented fate than one that has already been predetermined since the day I was born. I mean, if I'm ever going to reach my destiny...it's going to be because I worked hard, dealt with the down times, enjoyed the up times, and am standing there because I [B]*want*[/B] to be there. Nothing more to be said really. Fate's a nice concept that gives people feeling without a purpose a, well a purpose to be alive I guess. I'm not so easy to [I]accept[/I] that concept with such wide arms. I'm going to, probably always, believe that I got to where I am now/am going because of things I've done. Not because I was[I] "supposed to"[/I] or [I]"meant to"[/I] and such.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I think Rush put it best...

[CENTER]Well, you can stake that claim
Good work is the key to good fortune
Winners take that praise
Losers seldom take that blame
If they don't take that game
And sometimes the winner takes nothing
We draw our own designs
But fortune has to make that frame

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances
Roll the bones

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones

Faith is cold as ice
Why are little ones born only to suffer
For the want of immunity
Or a bowl of rice?
Well, who would hold a price
On the heads of the innocent children
If there's some immortal power
To control the dice?

We come into the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances
Roll the bones

Jack -- relax.
Get busy with the facts.
No zodiacs or almanacs,
No maniacs in polyester slacks.
Just the facts.
Gonna kick some gluteus max.
It's a parallax -- you dig?
You move around
The small gets big. It's a rig
It's action -- reaction
Random interaction.
So who's afraid
Of a little abstraction?
Can't get no satisfaction
From the facts?
You better run, homeboy
A fact's a fact
From Nome to Rome, boy.

What's the deal? Spin the wheel.
If the dice are hot -- take a shot.
Play your cards. Show us what you got
What you're holding.
If the cards are cold,
Don't go folding.
Lady Luck is golden;
She favours the bold. That's cold
Stop throwing stones
The night has a thousand saxophones. So get out there and rock,
And roll the bones.
Get busy!

Roll the bones

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones[/CENTER]

Basically sums up my opinion. Why does it happen? Because it happens. Predetermination was just a creation of the Religious groups back-in-the day to say people were predetermined to be peasents etc so they wouldn't recolt: as Napolean put it, "Religion is just to keep the poor from murdering the rich."

Another Rush classic, Freewill, has a similar intonment but I thought that Roll the Bones was a more appropriate tune for the subject of Fate, Destiny, Karma etc etc.[/COLOR]

I do not believe in fate or destiny. I simply cannot believe that I was somehow fated or destined to be present when my own brother was shot and killed. Or that when others are hurt by violent crimes that it was their fate and that they could not escape it.

Every person makes choices and obviously some are good and some are bad, yet in the end the person made the choice. It is then a matter of the environment or events surrounding the choices you make to help determine the outcome. Even then such influences are in my opinion unrelated to being considered fate, as even as things are occurring you can still make additional choices to help things go the way you want them to.

Plus I work hard to earn good grades, I was not fated or destined to do well in school, I do well because I work hard and put in the effort necessary to get a good grade. Personally I think the idea of fate or destiny is an illusion that doesn?t really exist. Till later.

indifference

I do believe in fate to some extent. I believe that if you don't make any sort of choice, then fate will guide you until you make another choice although fate usually doesn't lead to anywhere good.

What I believe to be fate are the actions we choose to take between the options of choice we make.

Ideas such as fate and destiny hurt my brain thinking about them so I usually dismiss them and I'm continue to dismiss them until I can see some sort of evidence that they exist.

I agree that Fate fries my brain but that's because it ends up sounding odd. If you try to defy fate, then you were fated to defy fate. I was fated to sit here today and type this. But then choices and such end up being useless. If you believe in fate too much, you end up thinking things are useless because it's going to happen no matter what and so nothing you do will change it. Or will it? Because maybe you're fated to change it. Then you're not really changing anything because you were supposed to. (cue my brain frying) I don't even think any of that just made sense.

I don't like the idea of fate but at the same time, I do think something that is a bit like fate. I think, for example, that every person you meet, you met for a reason. But that's more because I think that you yourself give meaning to the meeting.

So no, I don't believe in fate, it's too hard on my brain.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]People chose their own fate. There is definately free will. Living life with the line "Oh, it was mean't to happen." is just trying to make people feel better about the decisions they made in the past. Things COULD be different if you made the other choice. We all make our own paths in life and I believe that fate is something that people created for an excuse. Destiny, is also something that we create. We choose and form our own destiny. [/FONT][/SIZE]