OtakuBoards

Totoro

TailTactics

My Neighbor Totoro is one of my favorite childhood movies (my first anime in matter of fact) which i just saw recently in years. Anybody who has seen Totoro and played Pokemon would notice a resemblence between Totoro and Snorlax. Ever since i seen the very first pokemon commercial for Red and Blue versions I was stuck with this question in my mind and i want to know if somebody else notices the resemblence and knows if Snorlax was derived from Totoro.

Furthermore i would like to know if any other anime (if not this one) was derived from Totoro.

[color=darkslateblue] Same here! :) I used to watch the movie every day when I was a kid. I still love the movie. :]

To my knowledge, there have been no other anime about Totoro. I'd rather there not be, actually, because I think the movie itself is wonderful as it is. [/color]

I can't answer that... but I do know that I've wondered that myself. Because I noticed that Snorlax reminded me of Totoro... While I've never seen the Totoro movie myself, I've known what it was for maaaany years. My best friend is Japanese, and some years back when I was fairly young I went to her house, and saw part of the Totoro movie in Japanese.... buuuut I can't remember anything about it ^^;

I should actually take the time to watch it one day.... since I've heard it was good.

[quote name='Souryuuha']I should actually take the time to watch it one day.... since I've heard it was good.[/quote]

Wait for the Disney rerelease next spring, the FOX version is ironically one of the worst DVD releases ever for one of the best movies ever (I only bought it because I wanted to complete my Miyazaki collection and found it ultra-cheap at a mere 9 dollars).

As for any anime derived from Totoro, there is some short film about the film's characters they show along that they show tacked on to other movies at the Ghibli museum's theater. No other animes that I can think of are based on/inspired by/riped-off of Totoro (unless you count parodies), and I think it's best like that. Miyazaki's career at Ghibli was essentially to try to go against the grain of traditional anime, and if Totoro somehow started a flood of similar animes it would probably create an slew of unbearable crap that would disgrace the original film. It's best to leave Ghibli making Ghibli movies, because ultimately (with the possible exception of Brad Bird) they're the only ones capable of making those movies and doing them right.

I love totoro. he's my favorite rabbit thing andi never get tired of watching totoro. i think hayao miyazaki is the coolest genius on earth because he created/directed all these great anime movies! i think totoro is a great original! :animesmil

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Totoro is sooo Cute!! It was also my first Anime Movie along with Sailor Moon being [/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkOrange]my first Anime Series.My younger sis and I would watch it constantly over the summer.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Indigo]It was cute cuz at the time we were the same age as the characters in the movie... [/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]About the Snorlax-Totoro resembalence, I[/COLOR] [COLOR=MediumTurquoise]have to say that It never came to mind, but now that u [/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]have mentioned it I do notice... THey [/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkOrchid]probably just think, big, fluffly, and sleeply like characters [/COLOR] [COLOR=YellowGreen]are appealing the youth.Or not[/COLOR].