OtakuBoards

[OBGT] Butterfly vs. Boo

Dagger

[center][b][i]Round 1, Match 1: Butterfly vs. Boo[/i][/b][/center]

[b]Date Due:[/b] Tuesday, September 13

[b]Dimensions:[/b] 500 x 200

[b]Theme:[/b] Snow

Once you have posted your submission (fulfilling the mentioned criteria), other members will vote on your work. We permit those who are participating in the tournament to vote as well. There will be no poll option ? you will be required to post a paragraph at least four sentences in length, explaining why you voted the way you did. If you fail to type a complete paragraph, your vote will not be counted, and you will receive a PM saying so. I will count & tally votes.

Thank you very much for participating. Good luck!

~Dagger~

[size=1]Just posting before the deadline.

Right now, everything is working against me for this contest. The most annoying things are the lack of internet on my own PC (network problems), the lack of graphics/programs on the master PC (which [i]does[/i] have internet, so I'm working on that one), the error 250free gives me and the lack of time.

So, here is my entry, hoping for the first time that my opponent doesn't show up.

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24436&stc=1[/img]

[b]EDIT:[/b] She did show up, so now I'm doomed. Yay.
[b]EDIT2:[/b] I added another design. Tried to make something as soon as I had the time. [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24441&stc=1]Click Here[/url]. It's still not what I want, but anything is better than my first one ><'

[quote name='Rising Sun']Maybe you could've gone with something abstract with lighter colors?[/quote]

Lack of time and all the shizz I normally use for my graphics, milad. [/size]

[SIZE=1]First of all, this is a very interesting change of events. While its not your fault about the hosting, the graphic was well-within your power. Let's get to the voteness.

[b]Boo's Piece[/b] Well, I usually love the minimalistic style, but this is not so this time. The texture/pattern of ice really, really throws this one off balance, and you would've done better to leave it just black and white or some such thing. Second is the black background, which I'm not too fond of either. It doesn't feel like... snow... A snow theme should be white and sky blue and icy colored, not black (IMHO). So there that is.

[b]Butterfly's Piece[/b] Good choice of stock, I'm going to start off saying. It really works well with the theme you've chosen to concoct. Your typography is headed in the right direction, with the message and the font in unison. However, the one pixel stroke really didn't make it look the best, but that's alright for now. The placement could also be improved as well, but again, it looks fine as it is. Finally, the abstract swirl you placed on the right side is pretty well suited, and flows surprisingly well with the rest of this. Really, it's nearly perfect if it were not for the grid, which really messes with the flowing feel. Very interesting job.

To be honest, I thought this would be a one-sided match (No offense/hate to you, Butterfly), but it's enjoyable to see you come with such skill! [B]My vote goes to Butterfly.[/B][/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]
[b]Boo's Piece[/b] Well, I usually love the minimalistic style, but this is not so this time. The texture/pattern of ice really, really throws this one off balance, and you would've done better to leave it just black and white or some such thing. Second is the black background, which I'm not too fond of either. It doesn't feel like... snow... A snow theme should be white and sky blue and icy colored, not black (IMHO). So there that is.[/B][/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]
[B]Boo:[/B] Retri basically summed this one up. The texture pattern on the "Snow" text doesn't look very good, and the font placement isn't very good also.. It just looks so empty. You have a snowflake, and then you have the word "Snow" right beside it in small text. Not your best. Maybe you could've gone with something abstract with lighter colors?

[B]Butterfly:[/B] It's great to see a new artist spread his/her (I don't want to make a mistake of stating the wrong gender) wings. Seems like all is well with this one. The stock is great the colors fit the theme well, but the only thing Ii have a problem with is the pixelation of the piece. If you're using photoshop, when you save it as a JPG, it should ask you what kind of resolution you want. I would suggest sliding the bar to the far right to [B]12[/B]. Maybe that'll fix you pixelation.

Well overall i'm going to have to vote [SIZE=1]Butterfly[/SIZE]. You have a lot of talent and I would like to see you post more stuff on the boards. [/SIZE]

[size=1][b]Boo:[/b] I agree with both Retri and Rising on this one. Simplistic is awesome, but that doesn't work well together. There seems to be alot of wasted space, and the pattern clashes with the color... and the theme in general. It's an awesome idea, but just doesn't pan though. I'm amazed that this happened, you always seem to have some amazingly overdone works *not a bad thing* but this seems to rushed.

[b]Butterfly:[/b] Also, as stated above, your piece is amazing, and quite unexpected. The theme of snow is well portrayed, with the blured white drifting across the stock, and other items in the picture. The stock is beautiful, and matches the ideal greatly. I could care less about the graph on the swirl, my only complaint is that you used a pixel stroke, which is fine... but I'd recommend replacing the text in white over it, to make it clear. An example of where this would be needed is the arch under the "B" The blue overtakes the white, and you can't tell that it was originally white. I'd recommend going with one or two pixels more on the stroke, and when done with the stroke, replace the same text, without the stroke over the area, and simply line it up. ^_^

If it's not already obvious, my vote goes to[b] Butterfly[/b]. I'd love to say you did an awesome job with this one.
[/size]