[OBGT] Sean vs. Young Cheezy

Dagger

[CENTER][I][B]Round 1, Match 5: Sean vs. Young Cheezy
[/B][/I][/CENTER]

[B]Date Due:[/B] Tuesday, September 13
[B]
Dimensions:[/B] 600 x 350

[B]Theme:[/B] Childhood

Once you have posted your submission (fulfilling the mentioned criteria), other members will vote on your work. We permit those who are participating in the tournament to vote as well. There will be no poll option ? you will be required to post a paragraph at least four sentences in length, explaining why you voted the way you did. If you fail to type a complete paragraph, your vote will not be counted, and you will receive a PM saying so. I will count & tally votes.

Thank you very much for participating. Good luck!

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1]Ach well, I thought I would post my piece just now, I've PM'ed Dagger for permission for this to be accepted, but here it is anyway for those who need something to comment on. =P.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Whoo! =D I was given the extension, my thanks to Dagger! So, here it is!

[b]Name:[/b] The Truth of Childhood
[b]Dimensions:[/b] 600x350
[b]Theme:[/b] Childhood
[URL=http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=childhoodspiral8me.gif][IMG]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6764/childhoodspiral8me.th.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks,
Sean.[/SIZE]

Young Cheezy: Wow..... I really don't know what to say. You captured the theme quite well but the image is just horrific :P In a god way :P The image is not edited well at all. And its just so damn plain :P

Sean: Well... I love the BG but I cannot read the text and I really do not understand how a vortex has anything to do with Childhood. The image has some traits I could link with Childhood like diffrent colors and how wild it is ect. If I could read the text im sure it would be much better and I would understand it.

Vote: Neither of you... Until you clarify the text

I found both of these pictures on the disappointing side.

[B]Cheezy:[/B] Your picture does seem to connect to the concept of childhood, but it looks terrible. I also do not care for the words, as they are too plain without some type of effect or graphics. The white background is also quite distracting and makes the picture seem to clash. Overall the picture and words do not seem to flow together in any way. It?s a good idea, but it seems to need something to connect it together. Right now they don?t even seem related.

[B]Sean: [/B] I really do not care for your picture either as it doesn?t really seem to connect to childhood either. However as a simply abstract the vertical lines running through the center spiral do give the impression of something that is constantly interrupting the basic circle of everyday life. The words also fit that theme as they too are interrupted by the lines, but they are a bit distorted and difficult to read. The colors also clash a little bit and the picture does not seem to have any flow to it.

Please do not take it personal but right now both pictures seem to be lacking to me. If I had to pick one as they are now I would choose [B]Sean[/B] as even though it needs work it does at least fit together a little bit better than [B]Cheezy?s[/B] work does.

Therefore my vote goes to [B]Sean[/B], though I think another attempt at this theme would be better as I was not really happy with either one.

[size=1]Both of these pieces are [b]horrible examples of what you two are capable of. Horrible.[/b] So here goes the vote.

[b]Cheezy:[/b] Wow man. I'm going to be honest - I thought you would have done better than this. This is really a disgrace, and I'd be offended if I were Sean. Someone (who lacks a valid excuse for being late, AND coming with something weak) adds text to an unrelated image, that doesn't even fit the dimensional requirements, and prays that the opponent no-shows. It's poor sportsmanship - your work is poor, and there's nothing to critique on it. The stock has almost no corrolation to childhood, except for the fact Yu-Gi-Oh is a fad, and the font is pretty lame as well. Sorry. Go hard or go home.

[b]Sean:[/b] Well, we're getting better. There's actually art here. But I'm also disappointed in you, too, Sean. You're a pretty talented guy, so I was a bit let down. The spiral looks pretty grainy, as I'm sure it was your intention. But it obstructs the flow of things. Thinking about it now, it was probably your purpose (vertical lines and all) to show conflict in a childhood. The "c" at the center, I'm guessing stands for "childhood," which develops into something larger. Hm. As for the side-text, it's actually not half bad, except for the fact it doesn't flow at all with this. I'm not really going to rag on you, since you had like 10 minutes to come up with something AND STILL beat Cheezy. But next round, bring your best.

[B]I vote for Sean.[/B] Sorry if I sounded like a jerk throughout, but I'm tempted to say you deserved it.[/size]

[COLOR=#C352AC][SIZE=1][b]Young Cheezy[/b]: First up, if you were going for cynical take on the theme, then you have done very well in expressing it. Of the two pieces, yours was the closest to the theme, IMO. But the saturation level is too high and I think the subject's face is, umm, distressing. It would help if you at least centered the text. I see nothing in this piece that gives good measure of your artistic abilities. Also, it's of the wrong size.

[b]Sean:[/b] Your submission is rather unexpected as I didn't think anyone would come up with an abstract piece for the theme (snaps for you). I've yet to figure out the secret to making such a spiral, so I assume that you rendered it yourself. But there's too much stuff going on and I have yet to decipher what it means. Perhaps you should have added the title into the image.

My vote goes to [b]Sean[/b].

P.S.
To the member who wins this round: Please prepare well for the next round. Show Baron Samedi/rokas what you're really made of, yeah?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Text: Not So Regular

Okay, now onto an explanation of my picture. I'm an abstract kinda guy, many people can easily use that against me, and I thought that childhood isn't always happy, and always great, that's why I have the grainy sprial. The spiral is to signify the giant lolly pops you can buy, the colours were just a massive part of childhood, and the grain is to show it deteriorating.

And I really didn't want to be out by default, so something like that was the first thing that popped into my head.

I hope that answers you questions and queries.[/SIZE]

[size=1][b]Cheezy:[/b] Okay, what the hell? I've seen you with really nice banners and now you come up with a drawing, no special thing about it whatsoever and horrible text? I was expecting you'd bring up something nice, really.

[b]Sean:[/b] Rather artistic. I like the fact that you actually thought of it instead of just using stock to make it go with the theme. You can do better, I think, but this is original enough to earn a place in the next round of the OBGT.

My vote goes one-hundred percent to [b]Sean[/b].[/size]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]Cheezy:[/B] Holy hell..Come on Cheezy. I've seen several of your works and this comes no where near what you are capable of. This is just a picture of a halloween costume (Which i have seen before while shopping on the net) with some lousy text. Everyone clearly made my point so there's no need to further go on.

[B]Sean:[/B] I'm not sure if it was the lack of time, or anything but this piece doesn't really appeal to me. It seems like you just twirled something and added broken text to it. Like Retri said, you are capable of so much better.

Even though both your pieces were fairly bad,I think Sean's piece knocked Cheezy's out of the ballpark. So my vote goes to [B]Sean[/B].[/FONT][/SIZE]

[CENTER]Sean - 5
Young Cheezy - 0[/CENTER]

There was a bit of controversy over this match, but the votes were well-written and helpful. Thank you for allowing this to be settled by vote. Those who are concerned about quality can rest assured that the process of the tournament itself will inevitably weed out extremely low-quality work or work that is perceived as not measuring up to basic standards. I'd be worried if slapdash submissions were widespread, but they're not. So once again, thanks for turning out to vote here.

That said, congratulations to [b]Sean[/b]. You'll be moving on to the second round.

~Dagger~