OtakuBoards

I won

Guest YoriChan

[size=1][color=slategray]I hope you realize that Poetry.com is basically one big scam. Tons of people enter, tons of people "win", and they all win the same thing, their poem published in some book you pay $50 for. My friends have done it. They promise you money, and all you get is your poem sold back to you in a stupid book. Doesn't sound so rewarding if you ask me.[/color][/size]

[color=#6699cc]Don't take what Lix says too hard.

It's true that Poetry.com publishes (as far as I can tell) almost every poem sent to it. (I have sent a few in as jokes, myself.) However, it is kind of a cool feeling that your poem will be published.

I would recommend not buying the book, but if you want to, that's fine. Keep in mind that Poetry.com is basically a "vanity" publisher. They publish all their poems in different compliations, and try to sell the books to the people whose poems they contain. That's how they make money. (Honestly, most people do not like poetry enough to buy a book of it... and those who do will not buy a book of amateur poetry.)

So don't take your "win" as more than it is. However, if you're happy just to have your name and work in a book that will be seen by other people (and many people are happy with just that), that's fine. Just don't think that this is a bigger thing than it really is.[/color]

[QUOTE=Lore][color=#6699cc]Don't take what Lix says too hard.

It's true that Poetry.com publishes (as far as I can tell) almost every poem sent to it. (I have sent a few in as jokes, myself.) However, it is kind of a cool feeling that your poem will be published.

I would recommend not buying the book, but if you want to, that's fine. Keep in mind that Poetry.com is basically a "vanity" publisher. They publish all their poems in different compliations, and try to sell the books to the people whose poems they contain. That's how they make money. (Honestly, most people do not like poetry enough to buy a book of it... and those who do will not buy a book of amateur poetry.)

So don't take your "win" as more than it is. However, if you're happy just to have your name and work in a book that will be seen by other people (and many people are happy with just that), that's fine. Just don't think that this is a bigger thing than it really is.[/color][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=slategray]Yeah. A lot of people feel accomplished when they see their work in some official looking print. And I guess I can't blame them. I like having my work printed, but I'd like other people to see it too, and not just myself. A lot of people that enter poems into those things deserve much more than what they get. It's nice to actually get noticed when you submit something that really means something to you.
I guess what I'm saying, is that me buying a book for $50 just to see my own poem, it would seem like nothing to me. Looking at the notebooks that I write my poems in, that's what should make you feel good. I know it makes me feel good, just looking back on those original penciled poems.
If I were you, I'd raise the bar, shoot for some awards. Now, those make you feel [I]really[/I] good. I won't let anyone even touch my awards. Lol.[/color][/size]

Guest YoriChan
[QUOTE=Lix][size=1][color=slategray]Yeah. A lot of people feel accomplished when they see their work in some official looking print. And I guess I can't blame them. I like having my work printed, but I'd like other people to see it too, and not just myself. A lot of people that enter poems into those things deserve much more than what they get. It's nice to actually get noticed when you submit something that really means something to you.
I guess what I'm saying, is that me buying a book for $50 just to see my own poem, it would seem like nothing to me. Looking at the notebooks that I write my poems in, that's what should make you feel good. I know it makes me feel good, just looking back on those original penciled poems.
If I were you, I'd raise the bar, shoot for some awards. Now, those make you feel [I]really[/I] good. I won't let anyone even touch my awards. Lol.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
thanx for the support, both of you :animeangr

[quote name='YoriChan']thanx for the support, both of you :animeangr[/quote]

They're not putting you down. It's just a known fact. We're not saying your poetry isn't any good (for one thing, we haven't seen it), but if you really want to test it, send it to another contest that's [i]actually[/i] a contest and see how it stands. :)

Guest YoriChan
[quote name='Dragon Warrior]They're not putting you down. It's just a known fact. We're not saying your poetry isn't any good (for one thing, we haven't seen it), but if you really want to test it, send it to another contest that's [i]actually[/i'] a contest and see how it stands. :)[/quote] Thank You :animesmil :animesmil

If you want to see my poem, go to poetry.com and you'll see author search on the home page and type in Kaytlynn Pirisky. on the next page, at the far left, you'll see the poem title, click on the link and you can read the poem. :catgirl:

[size=1][color=Red]YoriChan, please do not double post. In order to add additional information, just use the 'edit' button in the right hand corner of your original post. Also, please keep some substance in your post. Just "Thank you" is not enough for a post. I've kept this thread open because I felt there might be some interesting discussion about poetry competitions, etc. ^-^ -- Lady Asphyxia[/color][/size]

Guest YoriChan
[QUOTE=YoriChan]Thank You :animesmil :animesmil

If you want to see my poem, go to poetry.com and you'll see author search on the home page and type in Kaytlynn Pirisky. on the next page, at the far left, you'll see the poem title, click on the link and you can read the poem. :catgirl:

[size=1][color=Red]YoriChan, please do not double post. In order to add additional information, just use the 'edit' button in the right hand corner of your original post. Also, please keep some substance in your post. Just "Thank you" is not enough for a post. I've kept this thread open because I felt there might be some interesting discussion about poetry competitions, etc. ^-^ -- Lady Asphyxia[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
thanx, I'll keep that in mind. :catgirl:

[font=Arial][size=2]Perhaps I wasn't really [i]clear[/i] on the double posting issue. Double posting is posting twice (or more) without someone posting in between. It's what you've just done, again.

I'm going to close this thread, because while it had potential, it's not being fulfilled. In future, if you want to reply to a moderator message, either PM me or [i]edit your post[/i].

Thread Closed.
[/size][/font]