OtakuBoards

Modifyed content?

50 cent

[I][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]If any of you know what this is it would be nice to add to this. Well anyway some may know that around the xbox live community and a small amount of the ps2 and pc online community may have heard about mods, or modifyed content. Basically what it is is saving the game to a comuter or program allowing you to change just about anything in a game from the looks of a map( it's called skinning) or weapon, to changing weapon projectiles, button layouts, presentation, or changing just how something sounds. If your a part of the Halo community many of you have noticed modding became big after new maps for Halo 2 came out. Most modders used this to their advantages to cheat and gain ranks to brag to their friends which showed nothing of their skill. Other ever since the beginning of video games have used it to add new content and change how the game works for creativity. Because of these cheaters they have ruined the modders reputation was was originally for creativity.

So this comes to my question if you ever expiernced any type of modifyed content at all or hear about it in anyway, what do you think about it? Are all modders bad because of the cheaters or they just plain cool because they cheat?[/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I have had some experience in playing with modders before. My personal opinion on the matter is simple though. I don't mind when people modify things like the original Halo to have fun in System Link play. Sometimes, they can come up with really cool ideas and fun games to play.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]When it moves to online play though, it crosses the line from fun to out and out cheating. I can't stand playing with people like this because it ruins the game for everyone. Even when you know you're better than the person, there's nothing you can do because they're firing warthogs from their SMG or something of that nature.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]So, do I think all modders are evil? No. I just think it should be kept offline though.[/color][/font]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]I hate mods that help people cheat in online games. I mean, I personally have been taken advantage by people using cheats in Halo 2. It's not only unfair, but it's annoying.. Luckily, this hasn't really happened a lot, but I've run into people who have had people 'mod' their PC for games like Counter Strike and other FPS.. giving them more powerful weapons, faster run speed, etc.

Then again, there are fun mods out there.. I played a mod in Half Life that changed the setting/level/weapons to that of World War II era.. It was really fun, and presented unique gameplay oppertunities for us.

Basically -- good mods = FUN!.. haXXor mods = Not fun.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][I]I totally agree with both of you about the cheating. If you gonna mod might as well make the game interesting and fun just like NorykoAngelcry's expierence with one on Half Life. I mean I play with modders all the time, but in custom games on halo, so all we are doing is making the game a little different and everyone is having fun with it. Most of the modders I play with are banned from matchmaking from just using mods period even if it is in a custom game but they don't cheat or help others cheat. Also most use their mods to make movies so it will make it a little better or do something in the movie that wasn't possible before. So online I'm fine with it as long as it stays in custom games, and not for cheating[/I][/SIZE]