OtakuBoards

One Piece: Grand Battle

James P. Galvatron

Finally its here in the U.S. I played the japanese version at a local anime club that was meeting at The Deep Anime, Games, and Manga. It was a very fun game and kind of reminded me of Super Smash Brothers Melee I can't believe its finally here I can't wait to Buy:

One Piece Grand Battle Tournament
That Inuyasha fighting game can't remeber name
Madden 2006
NBA Live 2006 if Only I had that kind of money to Buy them all.

Why do people like this have to ruin it for the rest of us? People end up buying craptacular games due to the license, which just proves to the game companies they can continously churn out terrible games and make money.

Recently I played a demo of this game, and yes it is like SSBM, that is if you make the controls alot worse, take out 15 characters, about 3/4 of the moves the characters in SSBM have, oh and replace the interesting weapons with some of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Yeah Inuyasha is basically the same thing, except slightly better.

[QUOTE=Killer7]Why do people like this have to ruin it for the rest of us? People end up buying craptacular games due to the license, which just proves to the game companies they can continously churn out terrible games and make money.

Recently I played a demo of this game, and yes it is like SSBM, that is if you make the controls alot worse, take out 15 characters, about 3/4 of the moves the characters in SSBM have, oh and replace the interesting weapons with some of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Yeah Inuyasha is basically the same thing, except slightly better.[/QUOTE]

THe Japanese version was quirky and fun hopefully they did the same thing to this One Piece Grand Battle it was a interesting game though we played the Japanese Gamecube version and games look and play diffrent on seperate systems.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]So far all that I have seen from this game is that from IGN. It did look pretty intresting though being to play as the characters with the Devil Fruit powers and all. One thing I was wondering about it im not sure since I havent been able to play it myself yet. Is that why does it seem that there is a lack of that many of the characters moves in the game?[/COLOR]

I'm surprised no one's posted after purchasing yet. I own it and I'm loving it. My entire dorm including the anime haters are having fun with it. Alone the game gets repetitive and a bit dull after 20 hours,but with a group of people it's a fun time. There's plenty of characters and artworks to unlock if your a fan. Must own if your a fan or have a bunch of people to play with. It's a fun rental if your not.

As expected it's a bloodless battle with some horrible voice acting and ya get a clue as to how they censored the not yet shown episodes of one piece. I personally hated *Look if your at ep.100+* [spoiler]Bon clay and Crocodile, they're voices don't match and they sound really stupid. Bon Clay's gone from a crazy ballerina to a ballerina who claims to use "Crazy Karate" since he isn't a karate fighter, it really ticks me off how ignorant 4kids was in that respect. I actually like Choppa and Nico Robin though,heh. [/spoiler]

Every now and then bandai does it right, this is one of those times.

Edit: I should probably note this, it's got a couple of spoilers if you haven't seen up to episode 100-110ish.

Another Edit: Feels more like powerstone than SSBM.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=blue]I actually just played [i]One Piece: Grand Battle[/i] for the first time tonight. I must say, it was better than I was expecting though after playing Budokai 3, it left something to be desired.[/color]
[color=blue][/color]
[color=blue]There are a few problems I have with it though. The first problem is that there is no way to break a combo once it's been started (as far as I could tell. I did only play three matches though). Second, I'm not a big fan of the flash to another world and back for a secret move. It shows that the programmers were sort of lazy and didn't feel like coding the special moves for each level, so they gave them their own. Finally, I wasn't too crazy about the fruit thing, but overall, it wasn't bad.[/color]

Here's a couple points,

Combo Breaks:Not all combos can be broken, but most of them can be if you block at the right time, holding block won't do it.

The secret moves and backgrounds are specific to parts in the anime. It would of been nice if they had multiple ones for each stage, but not a lot of characters have done something really cool on all the stages.

As far as the fruit thing, powering up like DB or getting power from hitting one's opponent don't feel as right as the fruit thing since players would not be able to use specials as much as they would want. If the fact it's fruit that bothers you, I guess treasure could of been a substitute that could have worked.

There is definately an unfulfilled feeling when playing this game, it's great but I get a feeling that things could have been even better.

[color=Blue]Noside, thank you for the follow-up. I'm happy to know that combos can be broken. I guess it's just a matter of timing.

I've seen the anime but not much of it. At least the single-scene special moves have some relevance to something. I just thought they were lazy ^_^

The one point I do disagree with you on is the fruit thing. While I don't think charging power like in DBZ would be good for this game, I still don't like the fruit. I just don't like the whole idea of picking up objects for energy, especially considering that they're not always there or you can't always get to them.

In DBZ, charging or hitting your opponent to get energy works perfectly. In a well-balanced battle, things are extremely fast paced and your energy is constantly going up because of it. It lets you use ultimate attacks and dragon rushes more often than you'd think (this is Budokai 3 we're talking about, just to clarify). So in that sense, it's not the fact that it's fruit that bothers me. I don't like the item pick-up to regain energy idea at all. I guess it does work though so I won't complain further than this.[/color]