OtakuBoards

Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Guest Uncle

This game looks really awesome. Who is also excited for it to hit the shelves? And what are some good Nintendo DS games? I'm thinking about buying some new games, and I want some opinions.

[SIZE=2]Age of empires is going to fly of the shelves so i'll let u guys in on a little secret go to [url]www.ageofempires.com[/url] go all the way to the bottom and u can download the demo i would suggest downloading it on a desktop it gets kind of skidish on a laptop like during the battle scenes[/SIZE]

Hmmm I don't know any very good games for the DS but some games that look pretty good to me is the Nintendogs and the Pacman game where you draw the pacman to eat things. Oh but isn't the trauma center game the one where your a doctor?

Yes you are a doctor. From what I have seen it has gotten decent reviews. Basically you use the touch screen to make incisions and remove stuff. The only thing I am worried about is the repetitiveness and how they are going to mae it anymore then a gimmick.

• 2 months later...
Wow, for Christmas I recently received Trauma Center: Under the Knife as a gift and I must say that I?m addicted to it. I can literally go a long stretch playing it over and over, and in the case that I fail a surgery, I find my hands shaking so bad with frustration that I need to put the game down. Great game.

Two majors complaints I see with the game are two that I can actually agree with: the game is storyline line and short (though I must admit that the storyline it does have is great), and second the game can be extremely difficult.

Although the main storyline might be a little bit short as far as games on the DS are concerned (and therefore seem a bit limiting, as the only thing you can really do is perform surgeries), the fact that the surgery system is so exciting and interactive more than makes up for this. Again the other problem is that the surgeries can be overly difficult (in many cases too the interactive end can slip up leaving you with a failed operation when in actuality you did everything right). A minor problem considering the fact that the game is [i]highly[/i] addictive in my opinion.

The graphics are pretty darn good too! I love the anime characters and their anime-like way of acting, truly a pleasure. While the idea of simulated surgeries isn?t new, this game takes that specific game-type to a whole new level as it is probably the best game of the field ? it doesn?t sport fancy music, but what it does have is a very fast paced action/surgery system which will make you want to play more and more just to get good ratings as a surgeon.

The reviews do not do this game enough justice as some of the scores are low simply because the game gets extremely difficult. While it is certainly enough to make you want to hold off playing for a while when you get up to such tough surgeries, it doesn?t really take away from the overall quality and presentation of the game itself. The reviews ranking it 8.5, 9.0, 9.5 out of 10 probably have it right whereas I?ve seen editor reviews of 7.3 on GS which are somewhat silly in my opinion.
[quote name='Uncle']And what are some good Nintendo DS games? I'm thinking about buying some new games, and I want some opinions.[/quote]A lot of people that I'm close to like the Nintendogz line, it is strictly for those that like those interactive games for the DS, or for those pet lovers out there. I have to admit that it's adorable (and I don?t even like dogs), well worth the buy if you're remotely interested in it. Lost in Blue I heard was excellent, Trace Memory is fun, and I hear Mario Kart DS is simply terrific (those online games for the DS are really worth it I hear). Again with DS games priced typically at $30, you can't really go wrong if you select one that interests you. After all you could also probably return the said game if you made a mistake.
[quote name='After*Glow] It looks good and I'm considering getting it but it looks like the novelty can wear off quick.[/quote]Not really? you?d be surprised. Sure you can?t just pick up and replay the game ?just like that,? you might need to be in the mood to perform hard surgeries under time constraints. If that?s the case though then this puzzle-type game is simply exciting and well worth the price ($30 at my local game store).[quote=Killer7'] The only thing I am worried about is the repetitiveness and how they are going to mae it anymore then a gimmick. [/quote]One of the interesting things about the DS is their line of interactive games. Likewise this game is geared toward that specific crowed that wants a simulation which is interactive (such as those who like the Nintendogz series). Tough to compare it to a full fledged game even if such games are marketed on the DS as well.

This game is indeed a simulation type game, but I assure you that it does well the keep the player on the edge of the couch/bench/chair long after the first few surgeries (and might very well entice the player to replay the game simply to improve their rankings).

All that said and done if you?re interested in the game and have the means to get it, by all means give it a try. If the game genre is not for you then it wouldn?t be wise to go out and by it, while it does have a story this game is far from a full RPG (or any RPG for that matter).

For the price this game is simply great!

• 2 weeks later...
This game uses the touch screen to the best level that I've seen thus far on the DS. It's a very fun game, which in the end is basically like a timed puzzle-game but it's masked from being that to you truly because it's set up more like you're doing surgery and doesn't have the abstract blocks or so on a la tetris and many other puzzle games since tetris's inception. You usually have a nurse or assistant that runs you through what you have to do while you're doing it, so the learning curve is never too bad. The main thing that I enjoyed about this game is how tense the surgeries got - you actually get the feeling of what it must be like to do this for real. The game never gets old or repetitive, due to the fact that the surgeries are always changing and become more challenging. The game's toughness might turn you off for a while, but you just keep at it till you pass it.

The game isn't meticulous in its medical origins, and instead makes sacrifices in that regard. For example, you have a green gel that heals pretty much anything, a shot that raises back up a plummeting patient's heart rate, and also, as you get deeper into the story, you find out about something that makes the game go even further from its technical medical origins (but I of course won't ruin that). When you're not in surgery and using the stylus to use the various tools - the scalpel, gel, vacuum, and so on - you're reading lots of text from the story. The story isn't terrible, and features anime-styled characters that work even as odd as they might be. You can, however, skip over all the text if you don't care for the story and go straight to the heart of the game - the surgery. So, even if the story's nothing mindblowing, it isn't force-fed down your throat if you'd rather just play.

This game is a perfect game for on-the-go, which is what DS is all about of course. For $30, it's well worth it if you're looking for an addicting, puzzle-like game that's very tense and even frustrating at times. Check it out.