OtakuBoards

What is your Religion?

AnimeFront

The only reason I could never really get into religion is because religion was was what the ancient egyptians and greeks used to use to control their people. Their people were all un-educated told there were these gods and if you pissed off these gods they would cause horrible disasters. That kept the people in order and that worked. So beleiving any other religion is kinda hard for me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me make something clear, the big bang could not happen because right after an event like that everthing would either collasped into itself or expand forever not allowing life to exist. Im Catholic and I don't care what atheist have say about my religon because I know their wrong. All those theorys of evolution and stuff like that are just theorys.

HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS JUST A THREAD TO TELL WHAT YOUR RELIGON IS, I AM TIRED OF EVERY THREAD LIKE THIS GETTING TURNED INTO A FRONTLINE FOR RELIGON VS ANTI RELIGON. SO JUST STATE YOUR RELIGON AND MOVE ON GODDAMNIT. THIS THREAD WILL GET CLOSED IF YOU GUYS CONTINUE TO SPAM IT UP (THAT GOES TO BOTH SIDES OF THIS ARGUMENT)!!!!! Ah now that thats over lets continue shall we.

Guest sesshysgirl
im none of the above. man i'm quaker and i dont think y'all no what that religon is. :animesigh no, we're not quaker oatmeal. :animeangr i get that alot.

[quote name='sesshysgirl']im none of the above. man i'm quaker and i dont think y'all no what that religon is. :animesigh no, we're not quaker oatmeal. :animeangr i get that alot.[/quote]

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt quaker a sub group of christianity, my friend who is a quaker says he is a christian.

I am totally agnostic, but I am not going to vote, because you grouped atheism with agnosticism, and they are very much different. Atheism is basically refusing to believe in a god/diety, whilst agnosticism is just not being commited to believing the existance or nonexistance of a diety/god. It's basically, atheism can be associated with the definite idea that there is no god. Agnosticism can be assosiated with a big question mark.
[size=10]?[/size]

wat? no satanic worshipers...lairs , they are too afaird. satanic worshipers are goth
anyway

good thing i am a christain fools...chriistian is the main relegion,and first to start with

[QUOTE]I really dont know. My parents are christains, but I like to dress gothic, so I dont know. Im like half Satinic and half Christian.[/QUOTE]
Dressing goth doesn't make you Satinic...

Eh, I'm [I]suposed[/I] to be Roman Catholic, but I'm not high up on the religious scale. That's just me, more of a question mark than anything. I believe there's something out there, but for me to give a name to that would just be something I cannot do.

Edit: Oh, before I forget. As far as I know, wicca isn't really a 'new age' religion, and has been around for a long time. Much of it coinsides with the age old witchcraft (which has 'evolved' through the ages), but with subtile differences in the rules and stuff.

A quick side note, Atheism is an official religion.

Anyways. I highly believe in Ásatrú THOUGH it doesn't mean I'm absolutely sure of it being real. I'm not some fanatic or anything like that.

A quick breif overview here from Wikipedia.
Ásatrú is an Old Norse compound derived from Ása, the genitive of Áss, which refers to the Aesir, (one of the two families of gods in Norse mythology, the other being the Vanir), and Trú, literally "troth" or "faith". Thus, Ásatrú is the "Æsir faith." The term is the Old Norse/Iselandic translation of Asetro, a neologism coined in the context of 19th century romantic nationalism, first used by Edvard Grieg in his 1870 opera Olaf Trygvason. The Icelandic form of the word is first recorded in 1945 in Heiðinn siður á Íslandi ("Heathen traditions in Iceland") by Ólafur Briem. Ásatrúar, sometimes used as a plural in English, is properly the genitive of Ásatrú.

Use of Ásatrú for Germanic paganism preceding 19th century revivalist movements is therefore an anachronism. Likewise, use of Ásatrú as a synonym of Germanic Neopaganism, while widespread in the USA, can be misleading. Organizations self-describing as Ásatrú cover a wide spectrum, including left-wing or alternative New Age, tribalist or reconstructionist, folkish, or neonazi (e.g. Artgemeinschaft) movements. In the strict sense, the term refers to reconstructed medieval Norse or Icelandic paganism and in particular to the Íslenska Ásatrúarfélagið.

I've found it to be quite the open religion. I am not though officially part of the religion though it is small and I'm not by all means a neonazi because of this.

[font=Times][quote=demonboy][i]I am totally agnostic, but I am not going to vote, because you grouped atheism with agnosticism, and they are very much different. Atheism is basically refusing to believe in a god/diety, whilst agnosticism is just not being commited to believing the existance or nonexistance of a diety/god. It's basically, atheism can be associated with the definite idea that there is no god. Agnosticism can be assosiated with a big question mark.

[SIZE=8]?[/SIZE][/i][/quote]

I pretty much agree with that, I'm agnostic. But my oldest sister is Baptist (or Christian? Well she's one of those), and my other sister believes in god and Jesus (but she doesn't go to church) too. My mom believes too and so does my dad, but none of them go to church (except my oldest sister, everyone else usually works on weekends). Infact, I think my whole family believes except me. That's so wacky.[/font]

[QUOTE=Kaze][font=Times]

I pretty much agree with that, I'm agnostic. But my oldest sister is Baptist (or Christian? Well she's one of those), and my other sister believes in god and Jesus (but she doesn't go to church) too. My mom believes too and so does my dad, but none of them go to church (except my oldest sister, everyone else usually works on weekends). Infact, I think my whole family believes except me. That's so wacky.[/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Being Baptist and Christian are the same thing. It's a form of Christianity.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Chabichou][color=#004a6f'] He knows what's best for us because he created us, so why shouldn't we obey?[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=crimson]A profound question! I like your style. *gives you a gold star for effort* Keep up the good work.

To everyone else: Chill, kids! Don't make me send you to your rooms. A major part of Christianity [that is hopefully mirrored by many religions] is displaying love or tolerance to most. We won't think the same things because [ignoring the fact we are all different, loud people] these are [i]opinions[/i]. So just settle down, take a deep breath and don't go into a little tangent, 'kay?

As for me, I'm some form of nontheist. Agnostic, I suppose. I believe in some form of higher power, I just think we lack the neccessary capability to know what "it" is. I suppose I have some sense of spirituality even without religion- that seems nonsensical and, admittedly, it probably is.

But, really- sense and religion/spirituality don't mix that well, do they?[/color]

I should vote. But I won't.

I essentially don't have a religion--it's something I foreswore in 9th grade when I really got interested in other philosophies/relogions and had the church youth leader lecture me about it. He said that It was against my religion to read Siddhartha.

Funny. He was a Methodist.

The above statement isn't entirely true, either. I've always been interested in other schools of thought, since I was 13 and found my Mom's copy of Tao de Ching. It was...enlightening. I never before realized that there were whole religions based on finding that stillness deep inside of ourselves, and to live simply and to have respect for all life.

After this, I discovered a book of quotes from Zen Buddhism, and It made sense to me! Imagine, a 13 year old understanding the phrase "I'm not young enough to know everything."

So...I don't really practice Buddhism, but I borrow from their ideas of non-attachment and stillness heavily. Besides, Christianity never sat well with me; the whole idea of the sanctity of Jesus' sacrifice just didn't make sense.

And no, I don't need a lecture. I don't find death to be sacred at all. When I die, I die. I don't know what happens to the soul... the whole immortality of the soul doesn't sit right either.

I like to think of my self as a perpetual student; I don't think I'll ever know enough to saitiate my need. But what I learn isn't from school or church--it's from the various media I use.

In FFVII, the entire Life Stream bit made sense. Perhaps we do all become a part of the collective after we die.

In Saiyuki, the recurring phrase 'Muichi Motsu' makes sense. It's a doctrine I try to live by, and always have. I just never knew the words for it before.

I read before that we get the very idea of liberation from the star Sirius, and that there are several religions based off of this single star. Ra, eat your heart out.

'Equivilant Exchange' makes sense to me. It's all give and take in this world.

What doesn't make sense is worshiping an omnipotent being who hasn't contacted anyone in over a thousand years. I don't believe in blind, unquestioning faith.

Hm...there was something I read in a book once. "For all Gods are one God, and all the Goddesses are one Goddess, but there is only one initiator. And to each man his own truth, and the God within."

Why look elsewhere for God, when we can find God within ourselves? I just think of something I read in my quote book, something along the terms of 'One moment of meditation is one moment of being the Buddah."

To me, that makes sense.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I only seek the truth. My truth.

Also, forgive me if I sounded like I was preaching. :animeswea

[font=trebuchet ms]I'd like to start by saying that I'm NOT here to offend anyone. The thread is here, so I'm posting MY OPINION on the matter. Thank you.

I was born in a free environment as far as religion goes. My mother is agnostic, same type of belief as DeathKnight; my Dad is a former devout Christian, now he doesn't really care for religion. My parents left their descision up to me and I decided that at least to me, it was a waste of time.

I am atheist, when I die, I plan on going in a wooden box six feet underground somewhere in Hatboro, PA. I seriously doubt "I'm going to hell because I don't believe in hell." In every religion there exist a wish for tolerance of other religions that you don't believe in, even if it is a lack of a religion. Some people don't understand this. I have had any positive thoughts about religion beaten out of me in middle school from people I've never met that were of the Christian faith. From that point onward, I haven't truly trusted Christians, I have a bit of disliking towards them as well. Some people irrationally fear clowns, I "fear" Christians. I don't hate you because you're religious, but it takes a lot more for me to truly enjoy your presence if the first thing out of your mouth when you meet me is "What church do you go to?"

Sorry, no thanks.[/font]

[SIZE=1][QUOTE]
I am atheist, when I die, I plan on going in a wooden box six feet underground somewhere in Hatboro, PA. I seriously doubt "I'm going to hell because I don't believe in hell."[/QUOTE]

Hmm, okay.. Can I ask you something?

What do you believe will actually HAPPEN to you when you die? Do you believe your being will dissapear into nothingness, never to be seen again? I'm not atheist, so I'm clueless as you how an atheist would perceive death.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Pandy][SIZE=1]

What do you believe will actually HAPPEN to you when you die? Do you believe your being will dissapear into nothingness, never to be seen again? I'm not atheist, so I'm clueless as you how an atheist would perceive death.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
If I may?

What happens after death? Nothing. Simply nothing. Besides, who cares? Do you read books backwards? Have the fun in life is not knowing whats coming next!

Another sort-of-theory I have is that, after death, your imagination keeps on living. Freed from bodily constraint, it's at liberty to create whatever reality you, sub-consiously, watk/think-you-deserve. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Pandy][SIZE=1]

What do you believe will actually HAPPEN to you when you die? Do you believe your being will dissapear into nothingness, never to be seen again? I'm not atheist, so I'm clueless as you how an atheist would perceive death.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms]I figure that when I die, my time's up. Maybe it's like sleep, and we'd just have a nice, long dream that we'll never wake up from? Or you know, we could just... die, becoming no more, no thoughts, nothing. Not a pleasant thought, but, that's why it's death, right? Heaven sounds nice, but I don't like believing something that's not a known fact, I've already accepted plain ol' death as something I have to deal with.

Typical atheist belief, when it comes to death, there isn't a fact.
[/font]

[SIZE=1]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms]I figure that when I die, my time's up. Maybe it's like sleep, and we'd just have a nice, long dream that we'll never wake up from? Or you know, we could just... die, becoming no more, no thoughts, nothing. Not a pleasant thought, but, that's why it's death, right? Heaven sounds nice, but I don't like believing something that's not a known fact, I've already accepted plain ol' death as something I have to deal with.

Typical atheist belief, when it comes to death, there isn't a fact.
[/font][/QUOTE]

But.. don't you think that it's impossible for a human to just stop existing? Our life would be of no significance! I mean, if you where in an eternal sleep without any dreams or thoughts or feelings, you would have no possible way of remembering this life. And if something doesn't exist in your memory, it's like it doesn't exist at all. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not trying to change the way you think or your beliefs. I'm just curious, that's all. I'm sorry if I bothered you at all.

[quote]If I may?

What happens after death? Nothing. Simply nothing. Besides, who cares? Do you read books backwards? Have the fun in life is not knowing whats coming next![/quote]

But that isn't the same as believing in an afterlife, really. Just because I think I'm gonna go on to heaven when I die, it doesn't mean that I know what'll happen to me in this life. Anything could happen and I wouldn't be able to see it coming, just like any other person in the world.

[quote]Another sort-of-theory I have is that, after death, your imagination keeps on living. Freed from bodily constraint, it's at liberty to create whatever reality you, sub-consiously, watk/think-you-deserve.[/quote]
I suppose that would be nice ^__^[/SIZE]

Guest sesshysgirl
[quote name='AnimeFront']Correct me if i am wrong but isnt quaker a sub group of christianity, my friend who is a quaker says he is a christian.[/quote]
yeah, then i guess i fit in. i fergot that, i just looked to see if quaker was up ther. :animesigh time go night night :sleep:

[QUOTE=Pandy][SIZE=1]

[font=Times]Personally, I just think it would be really neat if when we all die; we're all trapped in our bodies after burial. The only way to avoid this fate, would be cremation. Then if you're cremated you just wander the planet as a spectre endlessly.[/font]

[QUOTE=Pandy][SIZE=1]
But.. don't you think that it's impossible for a human to just stop existing? Our life would be of no significance! I mean, if you where in an eternal sleep without any dreams or thoughts or feelings, you would have no possible way of remembering this life. And if something doesn't exist in your memory, it's like it doesn't exist at all. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not trying to change the way you think or your beliefs. I'm just curious, that's all. I'm sorry if I bothered you at all.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms]^^ Not bothered at all.

What you're asking me is similar to a question that I could ask you. What if there is no God? What if there is no heaven, and you just stop existing other than a rotting corpse in a coffin somewhere? You have accepted heaven and you have demonstrated in the above quote that you can't fathom it any other way. I am in the same place as you. I have accepted a cold, dark death; I feel that my life has/is/will be good enough to where heaven would be excessive. I see it as a form of greed. I suppose that if there is a God, and there is a heaven; sure, I'd like to be invited to the party.

:) Happy thoughts.[/font]