OtakuBoards

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Deathsite

[quote name='Phenom'][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]- I've never been one to talk about customization in these types of games, but I can see the sheer amount that can be done here. And the alchemy pot adds more depth as well. It's too bad I don't know what to do with it at this point of the game lol. I did make a boomerang though lol.

I'm thinking about buying the strategy guide, but I've read reviews about it, and majority of them stated that it's not detailed enough. Is it enough to get me from point A to point B?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]It is well worth the time to go and print a copy of possible combinations for the alchemy pot. Later on when money takes more work to earn, you'll find it easier to make certain things using the pot instead. Here's a list at one site: [URL="http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=122247&rid=113905"][U]List[/U][/URL]

I've heard that the guide for this game isn't very good, but I never got around to picking one up so I don't know. So far I haven't had a problem figuring out where to go and what to do, but we'll see.

• 2 years later...
"Phoenix Down"

So I finally got back to playing this game, although I don't know if this quarter for classes will allow me to play as much as I'd like to. (I know I'm gonna be graduating in December so time is starting to tick away) Anyway, this is my favorite rpg (with FF8 being 2nd), and even though it's my favorite I've yet to finish this game. I haven't even come close to finishing since the farthest I've gotten in this game is Pickham, which is where I'm currently at now trying to play Bingo... I hate it. It'd make even the most patient person break at some point.

The reason I like this game so much is because of the gameplay.. So simple yet very deep. I'm still not so sure I really get most of it. I call myself following this walkthrough but I'm considering starting over yet again, mainly because of skill point distribution... I've been neglecting some skills that I had no idea they turned out to be pretty decent. Speaking of skill points, I'm fairly curious in what route did other people go?

I'm thinking of going Swords, Boomerangs and Courage (just found out about Courage being pretty nifty) for the Hero. Axes, Fisticuffs and Humanity for Yangus. Whips, Staves and Sex Appeal for Jessica. And probably Swords/Bows and Staves for Angelo.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I really need to play this game again. I stopped playing early on because I moved house and packed the game away, but I do remember how much I was enjoying it.

Since I get the chance to start again (I won't play from where I left off), do you guys have any advice for me?
[/font]

I don't know if I'm in the position to give advice honestly, since Pickham's not too far from the beginning. As a matter of fact I think you can get to where I am in about 8-10 hours, but then again the game does force you to grind a bit so it could take longer.

Anyway, for the time being and what I could remember, the alchemy pot is my/your best friend. I've been reading some skill builds at Gamefaqs... (>_>) Almost everyone is saying to stay away from Fisticuffs for Hero, Clubs for Yangus, Knives for Jessica and Charisma for Angelo. But for the most part we're in the same boat. Edited by Magus

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]I would actually recommend putting enough points in Angelo's Charisma to get Sarcastic Snigger. Taking down an enemy's Tension (even if it is only by one stage) can really save you in a tight spot.

As far as skill builds go, it really depends on whether you want to go for the Dragovian Trials after you beat the game. If you do, you'd be wise to put points in Hero's Spears to get Mercurial Thrust and in Yangus' Axes to Executioner. The reason for that is, once you get to the Dragon Graveyard and Slime Hill, you can grind a lot easier against Metal Slime Kings. Fast little buggers and hard as hell to kill.

But yeah, as far as main attack power goes, I would focus on Swords for Hero (and enough points in Boomerangs to get Power Throw for large enemy groups), Axes for Yangus, Whips/Staves for Jessica (her eventually getting Kazing is so damn helpful) and Swords/Staves for Angelo (once you get the Shamshir of Light for him, he's a one-man army).

James, as far as advice goes, early in the game, always keep some Chimera Wings on you, so you can travel back to safety quickly if you happen to be grinding and get really low on health/healing items. You'll also want to quickly put enough points in Hero's Courage to get Evac so you can escape from a dungeon for the same reason. Once you get Jessica, be sure to always keep her at the back of the party, because she doesn't have enough defense to be put anywhere else. Other than that, it's all up to you.
[/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Yeah, depending on what position they're in in the line-up is usually who gets attacked more often. However, some enemies do actually base their attacks off of the defense stat, but that's just because they're mean as hell. =p
[/color][/font]