OtakuBoards

What makes an anime...an anime?

Guest Manato

In your opinion what makes a 'cartoon' an anime to you? Does it have to originate from Japan? Or is it just the style it's drawn in? What do you think? ^ ^

I personally think it's the style. I mean we're seeing more and more non-asia drawn cartoons surface that are drawn in an animeish style (example- Avatar: The Last Airbender ) But thats just me, what do you guys think? ^ ^

[color=#ff6600]You're only allowed to have ONE image in your signature. However, if you make a thread in the Art Request forum, I'm sure someone will be willing to combine all of these images into one banner for you. -Sara[/color]

I know how to make them into one banner, thanks ^ ^
-Manato-

[color=#333333][font=trebuchet ms]Right now, anime is that which is animated and originates from Japan. A lot of people are also fine with throwing in American shows (a la Teen Titans) that they think show enough Japanese characteristics.

I think I consider it to be both a style [i]and[/i] a source. At the moment, when I refer to anime, I mean Japanese animation.

However, I would be perfectly comfortable (at some point in the future, assuming that it's necessary) qualifying a show as "Japanese Anime," "Korean Anime," "American Anime," or, I dunno, "Italian Anime."

What qualifies something as "anime style" is a good question, and JaredThaJa is right that you can't definitively talk about "anime style" until you've decided what, exactly, it is. [/color][/font]

Guest Akilamo
''However, I would be perfectly comfortable (at some point in the future, assuming that it's necessary) qualifying a show as "Japanese Anime," "Korean Anime," "American Anime," or, I dunno, "Italian Anime." by Lore

Correction, anime is japanese animation and only japanese animation. The animation in russia or korea or america is not called anime. Anime only mean japanese cartoons, so your statement is incorrect and it is incorrect to say japanese anime, it doesnt make any sense, anime is japanese and only japanese. Teen titans is anime if you were wondering.

What makes anime be anime? It is the style of drawing of the characters in anime. Thats how you distinguish the animation from other animations. :smirk:

[QUOTE=Akilamo]Correction, anime is japanese animation and only japanese animation. The animation in russia or korea or america is not called anime. Anime only mean japanese cartoons, so your statement is incorrect and it is incorrect to say japanese anime, it doesnt make any sense, anime is japanese and only japanese. Teen titans is anime if you were wondering.

What makes anime be anime? It is the style of drawing of the characters in anime. Thats how you distinguish the animation from other animations. :smirk:[/QUOTE]
You contradicted yourself so many times in those two paragraphs that I can't tell whether you're being serious or just not-so-subtly mocking all of us. I almost hope it's the latter... :animeswea

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']You contradicted yourself so many times in those two paragraphs that I can't tell whether you're being serious or just not-so-subtly mocking all of us. I almost hope it's the latter... [/quote]
Good, it's not just me. XD I had to re-read that one so I'd be less confused. Didn't help much.

Anyway, for me, I only refer to anime when I'm talking about animation from Japan. That's it. I've never really talked about other animation like Korean or Chinese, but I'm sure I'd say "Korean animation" or "Chinese Animation" as there isn't really a specific word that would help separate it from animation of other nationalities (In [I]my [/I] vocabulary anyway XD;; ). I hate using the word cartoon unless I'm referring to something that's meant for children.

There are anime [I]styles[/I], but that doesn't make something anime in my opinion. It just makes it anime-esque animation.

Guess I don't like lumping everything together. I don't really mind if other people called other non-Japanese animations anime though. It's all a matter of preference.

[COLOR=#A18A58][b]Anything that doesn't look like it was made by Disney or Warner Bros., I call "anime."[/b]

Wow, talk about discrimination.
Seriously though, I guess it's high-time we erase the line between Japanese animation and animation from everywhere else, and start calling everything "anime." A lot of Western, Korean, etc. animation studios have adapted styles present in Japanese anime (which, in turn, was another modified version of animation started in the West).

Anime's gone global and its definition shouldn't be restricted to animation produced by a single group of nations alone. *bows*[/COLOR]

[quote name='Akilamo]Correction, anime is japanese animation and only japanese animation. The animation in russia or korea or america is not called anime. Anime only mean japanese cartoons, so your statement is incorrect and it is incorrect to say japanese anime, it doesnt make any sense, anime is japanese and only japanese.[/QUOTE][color=#033333][font=trebuchet ms]Begging your pardon, but you can't "correct" my opinion. It doesn't work that way. [quote=Lore][color=#333333][font=trebuchet ms][i]I would be perfectly comfortable[/i] (at some point in the future, [i]assuming that it's necessary[/i]) qualifying a show as "Japanese Anime," "Korean Anime," "American Anime," or, I dunno, "Italian Anime."[/font'][/color][/quote]It seems to me that as anime grows in popularity outside of Japan, more studios will begin to emulate the styles and themes that we associate with anime. Regardless of the origins of the word, I believe that it will (and indeed, has already) taken on meanings outside of strictly "Japanese animation."

Thus, as I said, I would be fine specifying that something were "Japanese anime" or "French anime," should two such categories arise. [/color][/font]

I remember the times when there was no word such as "anime". I'd call Sailormoon a Japanese cartoon. Over the years, people started calling it anime.

Currently, anime is Japanese animation. The term originally started from the Japanese, after all. I think the term will always be associated with the Japanese but things evolve and anime will evolve too. Soon, anime will plainly be a style used by Americans or Korenas or Italians or the French.

I guess soon, it will be right to say that anime is a style that originated from the Japanese.

If I recall correctly, the word 'anime' is the Japanese term for 'animation'. Therefore, broadly speaking, anything that is animated is anime.

That is broadly speaking, of course.

The style, in and of itself, originated in Japan. Other countries do borrow and tweak that style, but, in the thesis that anime is Japanese animation, they aren't considered anime.

Teen Titans, for example, is not what I call an anime. it borrows heavily on the anime style, but it doesn't quite get the cigar. Like others have said, it may evolve with time, and we may eventually be dealing with 'French Anime' or 'Itallian Anime', but, given the cultures, they may have an entirely different feel.

Note: Even animated shows that rely heavily on the anime style, are distinctly not anime. Anime looks subtly different, and the plots take on a wholly different meaning. Comapre Teen Titans with Fullmetal Alchemist.

lol. There is no comparison!

I'm sure that, even if other contries and cultures, we'll be able to tell the difference

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Well my definition of anime is cool cartoons.[/quote]I am in shock ...pure and utter disbelief.

You're changing the defintion of "anime" entirely.
You don't even talk about Japan at all.

I think that's insulting to those people who work hard on their anime projects and create a distinctive style unique to their culture and upbringing. To not include the Japanese in that definition is not only insulting, but totally ignorant.

You're using the word "anime" as a superlative for an animated work. You're taking a medium, (or for some a style of drawing) and changing it to a simple compliment! That is wrong on so many levels!

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Like the boondocks is made in america but its stll considered anime in my opinion beacause of the style of its animation and the way the story flows.[/quote]That's like saying Star Wars is a sci-fi because it's cool but Star Trek is not.
That's like saying Tom Sawyer is a book because it's cool but Oliver Twist is not.
That's like saying The Simpsons is anime because it's cool but Godannar is not.
[SIZE=1](I don't mean to say that Star Trek, Oliver Twist, and Godannar are not impressive while Tom Sawyer, Star Wars, and The Simpsons are)[/SIZE]

Firstly: The word "cool" can mean different things to different people. It's totally opinion based. One person can think something is cool while another person disagrees.
What if I think Evangelion isn't cool? Does that mean that thousands of EVA fans are wrong in thinking that it's an Anime?
What about the first Anime? Astro Boy? I know a lot of people who don't think that's cool.

Secondly: The fact that you don't even bring the Japanese into the matter is ludicrous. It is a word that came from Japan, and is still, to this day, used to describe works from Japan. Automatically, thousands of people think of the BESM-style when hearing the word "anime". It's similar to me calling my roast-beef sandwhich a "hot dog".

Thirdly: The entire reasoning behind your argument is that if it's "anime" it's automatically worth praise and mentioning. That is one of the biggest mistakes n00bs make.
Have you heard of Sukisyo, Excel Saga, or Chosoku Spinner? Even if it's impossibly stupid it is still anime.
Have you heard of Pokemon, Hamtaro, or Hello Kitty? Even if it's only cool for little kids it is still anime.

Anime spans genres, it spans drawing styles, it spans target audiences. A lot of anime really IS cool. Even more anime is total CRAP.

Don't worship anime anymore than you would Television, Movies, Books, or any form of media out there. Blah. I tried to stay away from this thread because I knew I'd waste my time and effort on a long post like this.

-Arvi

Ok I think what I meant to say was that the only difference between anime and cartoons is style and story. The style fluctuates so the only difference is the story.
Now that there giving some american cartooons a story does that make them anime or what?Even though anime style originated from japan it is not nessecary that the creator of the has to be anime be japanese. I mean thats just dumb to even say that.

[QUOTE=Stark]If I recall correctly, the word 'anime' is the Japanese term for 'animation'. Therefore, broadly speaking, anything that is animated is anime.

That is broadly speaking, of course.

The style, in and of itself, originated in Japan. Other countries do borrow and tweak that style, but, in the thesis that anime is Japanese animation, they aren't considered anime.

Teen Titans, for example, is not what I call an anime. it borrows heavily on the anime style, but it doesn't quite get the cigar. Like others have said, it may evolve with time, and we may eventually be dealing with 'French Anime' or 'Itallian Anime', but, given the cultures, they may have an entirely different feel.

Note: Even animated shows that rely heavily on the anime style, are distinctly not anime. Anime looks subtly different, and the plots take on a wholly different meaning. Comapre Teen Titans with Fullmetal Alchemist.

lol. There is no comparison!

I'm sure that, even if other contries and cultures, we'll be able to tell the difference[/QUOTE] Um isnt anime an abreviation for animation?

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Now that there giving some american cartooons a story does that make them anime or what?Even though anime style originated from japan it is not nessecary that the creator of the has to be anime be japanese. I mean thats just dumb to even say that.[/quote]

So you're saying it has nothing to do with style, but if a cartoon has a "story" it should be considered an anime?

Gargoyles, Spawn, Beast Wars, Reboot, and Spiderman are just a few American Cartoons that nobody considers even close to Anime but have long spanning story arcs and involving stories.

Also, there exist many an ANime that are episodic and have no big picture "story" that you claim every Anime has. You might have seen Sailor Moon? Very episodic. Excel Saga? No story at all until the end of the series!

You can not call something an anime because it has "story". And as you said, you can not distinguish it because of "style". The only part of the definition that stands is the Japanese factor.

You can not call it dumb, because that's all that's left to distinguish it.

-Arvi

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Um isnt anime an abreviation for animation?[/quote]
Not quite. I believe it's derived/borrowed from the French word [I]animé[/I], which doesn't directly mean "animation." Anyway, to echo what Stark said, it's the Japanese term for animation.

Also, the next time you want to respond one point rather than to an entire post, try snipping your quote. It makes things a lot more manageable. :)

~Dagger~

It used to be anime now i really dont think so. Beacause the art style changed from kinda gritty and animeic to clean wierd toonami cartoony thing.

And as you said, you can not distinguish it because of "style". The only part of the definition that stands is the Japanese factor.

You can not call it dumb, because that's all that's left to distinct

Why does it need to be distinct ? I persdonally would like to see anime more main stream myself. Then maybe bandai could make a good series more than 25 episodes. (damn you bandai .hack deserved better better!!!!)

Sorry for double post how do i fix it?

• 6 months later...
[COLOR=Blue]the reason why i'm here is i was debating the lines of separation w/ my friend who isn't an otaku but has seen a few anime's that he's liked. he was debating why there is the belief that anime should be in it's own category although it still falls in a sub-category of cartoons. my argument was:

"the style of drawing, culture represented, storylines, and everything else are all diff from western cartoons and influenced by Japanese society. i see cartoon as a negative description of anime, because when ppl talk about cartoons they [U]generally[/U] are talking about shows and movies that have significantly inferior (or less complex) plotlines, artwork, and significance which is not what most anime is about at all."

he replied: "i completely disagree. i think ur defintion of cartoon is itself inferior.
their can be cartoons that have weak plots, but their can also be some with great ones- like have you ever seen a cartoon series called The World's Finest? could probablty match any great plot i suppose."

then i answered: "but generally when people speak to me about cartoons they are stereotypically speaking, and they are under the notion that "cartoons" exist only to entertain children and are thus inferior. because of the negative stereotypes that are linked with the term cartoon itself, i don't like associating anime w/ it. when enough ppl say that we like cartoons w/ out a sneer or w/out negative surprise, we will no longer take offense. but until then, anime is it's own category as far as we are concerned even tho they are also technically cartoons."

what do you guys think?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1][INDENT][B]haruko girl[/B] here at OtakuBoards, we greatly emphasize the concept of having clear, easy to read posts. This includes correct use of spelling, grammar and punctuation. Abbreviations are not a good idea as they make it harder for others to understand what you are trying to say so please improve your post quality. If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest yumenokoyume
I prefer my anime to be more inovative as usual. not those so called anime nowadays that obiously wana use the anime title for sales and they think they got the atmosphere right.

[color=dimgray] [b]@ haruko girl[/b]

The word 'cartoon' is an English term, so the connotation and suggestiveness might differ from Japan, but anime is still a form of cartoons. In addition, the idea of cartoons only being made to entertain kids should be dissipating... shows from Adult Swim, Family Guy, and South Park are all cartoons that kids shouldn't be watching.

On the off side, I sort of agree with you at the same time, because when a lot of people seek to insult anime, they use the term 'cartoons'. Possibly because the mature-viewing cartoons in the US are mostly comedy shoes, while anime, a 'cartoon', also tackles serious themes.

[b]end @ haruko girl[/b]

Anyway, I think cartoons in general are great. Even kids' shows. I don't know why some anime fans rag on Disney and stuff... anime was based off of Disney's animations in the first place. And classic Disney movies rock. :D[/color]