OtakuBoards

Manga Hair

Guest mangadraw4ever

Guest mangadraw4ever
Ok, so after a long time of drawing, I finally got the hang of manga style hand, head etc. but I still can't draw the hair at all! The books taught me nothing and I just can't get the hang of it. Can any of you guys give me tips or show me how you draw your manga hair?

I know that the hair is veyr difficult. I had a problem for a while myself. One thing I tried was lookign through magazines with the different hairstayles to get a little inspiration. When that doesn't help, I try to study different styles of anime hair and pick ojne I am interested in. Sometimes tracing help the first couple times to get the feel for it. Try free hand for a while and practice. Trying to get into the characters personality can give you an idea for the hair. It just really depends what style you like. Hope this helps a bit. you can send me a message if you need anymore advice! :catgirl:

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1]You could try drawing the general shape of the 'do then fill it with the necessary strokes later. For example, to draw an afro, I make a slightly elongate circle on the head then fill it in with random curls.

It works well for bangs too! All you got to do is to define the hairline and the length of the bangs with lines on the forehead. You can then draw the bangs; just remember that you can't leave a gap on the hairline's end.

As for advice about drawing those wind-blown 'dos, do what I did: start by copying directly from drawings. It may take a while before one gets the hang of it but it really ain't that difficult.

Best of luck, yeah? :)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]I would recomend going to DeviantArt.com and searching for tutorials on hair or tutorials on head structure. The head structure tutorials help alot because they show you the area where the hair line starts and stuff like that.

I also agree with searching around for ideas on hair styles. [/size]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]i'm not great at hair but i think there's a few things that might help you :
- make it look puffy,(don't stick to the outline of the head), that will give it mass
- just go with the pencil, don't try too hard to perfect each stroke, (does that make sense?) make the hair look natural, don't be afraid to just ..........draw :p [/COLOR]

Yep...My friend tries way too hard, and he messes it all up... I may not be of too much help, because I've always known how to draw Manga without the books, but I'll try. First off, you should just trace some hair styles from your favorite Manga or Anime character. Look at the picture very closely, and then, just try to draw it. :animesmil You'll get the hang of it.Of course, all you really have to draw is abunch of spike like hairs so it's a little easy if you really thiink about it.

P.S. One lil tip. Don't make the hair look like it's cutting into the skull! Draw the head, then visualize the skull, and make the hair fill out the whole thing, okay?

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua][CENTER]I used to have problems with characters hair but now it's easier for me here's what I did

[list]Mixed hairstyles from some of my favorite anime/manga characters[/list]

[list]Drew haircuts that I liked and were simple[/list]

[list]And prolly the most important thing was I practiced a ton
[/list]

I practiced by just sketching out as many heads I could on the paper and trying things out on em.

There's another effect which make drawing hair easier

[IMG]http://usera.imagecave.com/aiyachi/head1.png[/IMG]
Usual style for drawing hair

[IMG]http://usera.imagecave.com/aiyachi/head2.png[/IMG]
using multiple lines to draw the hair

Hope thats helpful =P[/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...