OtakuBoards

Screentoning Help!

damatte

I've never used PSP, but I think Photoshop is similiar. One way to do it is after you're done with the base tone and want to add shading, you make a new layer above the toning you just did and use a darker tone for the shading. So basically use a darker tone on a new layer...if you use it on the same layer I think it meshes with the previous screentone and doesn't look as clear. That's what I do at least...I hope that helps somehow. >_<;

I've never really tried using anything other than pattern tones in photoshop ^^; but when working with tone the old fashion way *shot dead* what I do is take the tone I used for the "base" and layer it over the are I want darker and then move it around until it fills in the spaces between the dots (it's a bit hard to explain?).

Basically, you use the same tone, move it just a bit so it's not lined up anymore and it makes the area look darker because the pattern of dots becomes more dense... does this make sense?

Yes, GTK, I understand ^.^ Thanks for the help, but I also have another question 'bout screentoning. Okay, I think (I'm about 99.9% sure) that artists screentoning the traditional way scratch off some of the screentone so that it has the fading off look. Does anyone have a brush or know of one for Paint Shop Pro that makes a similar effect? If it's a Photoshop brush, I think I can still work with that, since I also work with PS. Reason I'm asking is because I want that traditional manga feel when it comes to my screentoning. American screentoning is so...I can't even come up with a word for it! Hahaha

The best thing that I can think of for getting a faded out look would be to change the hardness levels of the brush (ie use a brush with a softer edge) and to just experiment with that.

Please note that I screen tone digitally using patterns and I use a different program than you, but I still hope that helps somehow.