Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I'm screentoning a page of my comic, and I'm using this one tone, but I want it darker, so do I make the same exact layer set at multiply (for Paint Shop Pro), or do I jsut get a darker tone?
Posted
I've never used PSP, but I think Photoshop is similiar. One way to do it is after you're done with the base tone and want to add shading, you make a new layer above the toning you just did and use a darker tone for the shading. So basically use a darker tone on a new layer...if you use it on the same layer I think it meshes with the previous screentone and doesn't look as clear. That's what I do at least...I hope that helps somehow. >_<;
Posted
I've never really tried using anything other than pattern tones in photoshop ^^; but when working with tone the old fashion way *shot dead* what I do is take the tone I used for the "base" and layer it over the are I want darker and then move it around until it fills in the spaces between the dots (it's a bit hard to explain?).

Basically, you use the same tone, move it just a bit so it's not lined up anymore and it makes the area look darker because the pattern of dots becomes more dense... does this make sense?
Posted
Yes, GTK, I understand ^.^ Thanks for the help, but I also have another question 'bout screentoning. Okay, I think (I'm about 99.9% sure) that artists screentoning the traditional way scratch off some of the screentone so that it has the fading off look. Does anyone have a brush or know of one for Paint Shop Pro that makes a similar effect? If it's a Photoshop brush, I think I can still work with that, since I also work with PS. Reason I'm asking is because I want that traditional manga feel when it comes to my screentoning. American screentoning is so...I can't even come up with a word for it! Hahaha
Posted
The best thing that I can think of for getting a faded out look would be to change the hardness levels of the brush (ie use a brush with a softer edge) and to just experiment with that.

Please note that I screen tone digitally using patterns and I use a different program than you, but I still hope that helps somehow.
Posted
Yeah, I understand, I'm screentoning digitally too, I just want to make it seem like I screentoned traditionally, I like it better that way, but I don't want to waste so much money on my comic :animeswea

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...