OtakuBoards

Dynasty Warriors 5

xXxiTaChixXx

Dynasty Warriors 5 is one of my favorite games because it shows the Chinese novel, Romance Of The Three kingdoms in a cooler way, with all the fighting and the killing and the items, how can it be cooler?

My favorite is Lu Bu because he has no master nor kingdom to follow.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Lu_Bu_Art.jpg/200px-Lu_Bu_Art.jpg[/IMG]

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial]BEHOLD THE MIGHTY LU BU, THE FLYING GENERAL[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][I]^ Oh no! He's a bandwidth bandit! Heh...[/I]

Well... to be frank, I haven't played DW5, only DW3 [COLOR=DimGray][I](which I loved)[/I][/COLOR] and 4:Empires[COLOR=DimGray][I] (which I hated)[/I][/COLOR]. Still, I'm a partcular fan of the two Shu spear-users, [I]Ma Chao[/I] and [I]Jiang Wei[/I], who used practically the same 3rd/4th weapon in DW3. Though I may have hated Empires, I prefer the DW4 look for the both of them.

Alas, [URL=http://www.yueying.net/dw/_imgs/official/Dynasty%20Warriors%204/Ma%20Chao.jpg]here[/URL] and [URL=http://www.yueying.net/dw/_imgs/official/Dynasty%20Warriors%204/Jiang%20Wei.jpg]here[/URL] dost they be, in DW4 form [COLOR=DimGray][I](if you didn't read the image name in the URL, Ma Chao is the first, Jiang Wei the second)[/I][/COLOR].

To be honest, I don't really have all that great a reason for liking them, other than I thought that they were really rather funky with a spear, and were quite well balanced in their attributes.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vlade_Rayne
Zhao Tai is a freakin' bad@$$ Did you see how long his Level 10 Dusk was in DW 4
every time i saw him it was freaking Sephiroth all over again.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]You know, I've been kinda obsessed (sp?) with DW. A few years ago I bought DW3 and then I loved it. After that, I can't help myself but to bought ever kind of DWs despite the fact that it has repetitive gameplay on each of it's series. Darn!

Back on the topic, if you say which character did you loved the most on DW5, I'd say Zuo Ci for sure. He's the most surprising new character on DW5, and had the most deadly series of attacks. He's even greater than Lu Bu in my point of view (his True Musou rocks too!)[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
I actually enjoy the ROTK series for a more accurate portrayal of the novel, plus im a fan of SRPGs. But the empire games for DW4 and 5 really keep me busy, those are fun as hell and i have yet to tire of either. The original versions are best played with a friend, that's how i started off with the games.

It is a different experience after you've read the novel, for anyone who is a fan of the game who has not read it yet, i strongly suggest it.

Favorite kingdom = Shu - They had the most capable officers, and despite liu bei's inadequacy next to the best ruler of the 3 (Cao cao of course), he commands inconceivable loyalty from now only his people but his generals. And last and certainly not least (in fact, probably one of the biggest reasons i like shu) the absolute brilliance of Zhuge Liang. After reading the novel i'm even more convinced that he is the most intellegent, clever, resourceful, and capable strategist by a far far margin (Guo Jia the closest behind).

[u]Favorite characters from DW game (trying not to lose sight of this thread being about the game and not the novel):[/u]

Characters i prefer to use: Zhuge Liang, Ma Chao, Zhen Ji, Zhao Yun, Gan Ning, Sun Ce, Zhang Liao, Zhu Rong.

Characters i dont prefer to use, but are still favorites: Dian Wei, Cao Cao, Sun ShangXiang, Taishi Ci.

• 10 months later...
I haven't played Dynasty Warriors 5 yet. I'm kind of waiting on a price drop. But I have played 3 and 4. They're definitly fun and addictive games, and I'm having a hard time about what to get next. My eyes are set on Dynasty Warriors 4 and Samurai Warriors (I'm a samurai fan, can't help, and they have the same gameplay) at the moment.

My favorite character(s) to use are Zhao Yun, I think. It's been a long time since I've played a Dynasty Warrior game, and another young guy dressed in red, and carries a tai chi sword or something like that. I think his name is something along the lines of Tsung... not sure.

In any case, I do have a question. What are the differences between the different versions? (Empires and Xtreme Legends) What makes the any different from the original?

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Phenom]I haven't played Dynasty Warriors 5 yet. I'm kind of waiting on a price drop. But I have played 3 and 4. They're definitly fun and addictive games, and I'm having a hard time about what to get next. My eyes are set on Dynasty Warriors 4 and Samurai Warriors (I'm a samurai fan, can't help, and they have the same gameplay) at the moment.

My favorite character(s) to use are Zhao Yun, I think. It's been a long time since I've played a Dynasty Warrior game, and another young guy dressed in red, and carries a tai chi sword or something like that. I think his name is something along the lines of Tsung... not sure.

In any case, I do have a question. What are the differences between the different versions? (Empires and Xtreme Legends) What makes the any different from the original?[/QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree with you on the issue with comparing Dynasty Warriors with Samurai Warriors. The combat systems, the morale systems, Hell, the basic troop AI systems in Samurai Warriors simply disappoints me. I dislike the floaty feel of the characters when they attack, and the charge attacks always seem to confuse me, no matter how much I try to train myself to use them. I suppose playing since DW2 will do that. Heh.

Another thing about SW is the over-hyped options that turned out to be bland, such as calvary combat, arrow deflection, and the use of siege weapons. They never really panned out and proved stale. So did the castle combat stages.

But I truly love the atmosphere set by both games. It gives you a bit of a rush.

The character you're describing immediately brings Zhou Yu to mind.

The Xtreme Legend and Empire expansions offer some new content to the game they spawn from, but not too much in the way of AI or graphics. Xtreme Legends usually offers new Challenge levels, stages, and game modes, such as Legend Mode which lets you experience a general's most famous battle or duel, such as Gan Ning's raid at Ru Xu Kou, Zhang Liao's charge at He Fei, and so on. These maps usually provide more opponents than a regular mission, with less support or more overpowered enemy generals, or both.

XL also includes Xtreme Mode, which is basically a Risk-meets-DW-meets-Endurance. You select your general, set out on a quest to conquer as much of the dynasty for yourself before falling in battle. You have limited soldiers, your health remains the same between missions unless you spend hard-earned money on healing items. You can also bribe or seduce powerful generals to help you.

Empires is a bit different. It takes away the set missions that loosely follow the RoTK line and let you either pick a general or create one of your own liking in an attempt to conquer all of China in 100 turns. You must attack other areas to gain them, defend areas being attacked or risk losing them, manage your troop health, and appease or abuse the general population.

The gameplay itself is also different, putting in a Strategy/Action-Adventure spin on the hack-n-slash action by setting up waypoints and supply points that determine conquered land. It's good fun, worth buying.

You're right Chaos. (My games just came recently) It's been a while since I've last played both Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors. Although control / gameplay wise, I still think they're one in the same (in terms of button functionality), but I haven't really played either of them for over 5 minutes though. (Been busy playing Kingdom Hearts 2.)

Thanks for the explanations though. Next time I get my hands on some more money, I just may try out the Xtreme Legends and Empire versions.

That's where I have to disagree with you Chaos .Samurai Warriors has the same game mechanics as DW. The only reason it's not as good as DW is because it's glitches and has a lack of characters. Both games require little strategy they are Ali pretty much hack and slash. Not to mention the VA for both games is terrible.

DW is a lot better than Samurai Warriors but the gameplay is pretty much the same. It's just that DW has a lot more content and less problems than SW.

Mmm, I suppose it might just be a matter of personal preference, but when I play, I feel a definite difference between DW and SW. Sure, the control schemes are the same, but the small things like the way the charge attacks physically hit and the abilities of the Musou attacks have a distinct feel to them. When you hit something in DW, particularly with a Charge4 attack, you really feel and see it, whereas in SW the enemies kind of float away like a bubble.

*shrug* I don't know. Maybe I've developed a little bit of fanboyism over the years and just don't like it because it's not the epic struggle I can remember staying up until three in the morning reading and later replaying.

But, in my opinion, there is just something different in the physics engine of SW that I just _don't_ like.

[QUOTE=Chaos]Mmm, I suppose it might just be a matter of personal preference, but when I play, I feel a definite difference between DW and SW. Sure, the control schemes are the same, but the small things like the way the charge attacks physically hit and the abilities of the Musou attacks have a distinct feel to them. When you hit something in DW, particularly with a Charge4 attack, you really feel and see it, whereas in SW the enemies kind of float away like a bubble.

*shrug* I don't know. Maybe I've developed a little bit of fanboyism over the years and just don't like it because it's not the epic struggle I can remember staying up until three in the morning reading and later replaying.

But, in my opinion, there is just something different in the physics engine of SW that I just _don't_ like.[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying they play very similar to each other. The problem with SW is it has so many problems that DW doesn't have. Like the fog is much worse in SW , the physics like you mentioned is flawed, the camera is horrible, and there's only a handful of characters.While DW has about 40+ characters to choose from. DW is obviously the superior game but they are both part of the same family but SW is the retarded cousin of DW.