OtakuBoards

Relieving boredom

Sanoske_Interow

Okay we all know that boredom is killer but we don't know how to solve our problems... well I guess what I'm trying to say is...DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY TO GET RID OF BOREDOM AT SCHOOL????!!!!!!!!!!!.....pleez send help......

[color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS]Edited thread title. See the [u][thread=52331]Otaku Lounge Rules[/thread][/u] for info on informative thread titling.
[/font][/color] [right][color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS]-Raiyuu[/font][/color]
[/right]

[quote name='Sanoske_Interow']Okay we all know that boredom is killer but we don't know how to solve our problems... well I guess what I'm trying to say is...DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY TO GET RID OF BOREDOM AT SCHOOL????!!!!!!!!!!!.....pleez send help......[/quote]

well you could make paper air planes and launch them at people when your teacher isnt looking. well thats what i do anyway. but hey i am at school to but i have a substitute, YAY SUBSTITUTE!!! :D

I either poke my friends or daydream. But I really shouldn't do that 'cause I end up missing everything and have to ask my friends about it. But of course they won't tell me 'cause I just poked them! It's a never ending cycle.....So in other words dont' daydream. Wait, I didn't even solve the problem.....

[color=purple]well, i just eat...i do it all the time in 1st period! when i'm in 4th period, i get bored so i just go on the internet, i have computer graphics, so internet!!! yay!!!! but then i just get intertained by the guys around me who like, talk back at her! oh, i didn't solve your problem! um, you could doodle! make some comic about your teacher, that's always fun![/color]

At school??
I can think of lots of ways to relieve boredom OUTSIDE of school...
In university it's different, I spend so much time writing notes I have no time to be bored.
But lets see, here's some ideas:
-Origami
-Wear the most outragous outfit ever
-Bring sidewalk chalk for breaks
-Do three-legged races down the halls
-Music

Hahah I don't know... I hope these help.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Neko, you learned elvish? Is that a whole language? Gee, you should?ve learned a more useful language?.like Spanish or French. Haha. ^J^

Well, this morning during English I got bored so I put on my headphones to my iPod and started drawing. I drew a monster! I also drew an anime version of myself. But I also recommend like writing a story or really doing anything on paper. It?s hard for a teacher to get mad at you for writing on paper, just make sure you cover it up if they pass by if you?re drawing monsters like I was. ^L^

Later.
[/COLOR] [/FONT]

If your problem is boredom during a lecture, my advice to you is to eat something with a high sugar content (e.g. chocolate) before the lesson begins. At the very least it stops you from falling asleep from boredom (i know this one through experience^_^).

If its during a work exercise, do very quick sketches to stimulate your mind (e.g. give yourselph 1-5 minutes to draw a persons face). With any luck, you're mind will be stimulated enough to do the exercise and you wont have to worry about missing too much work.

Yes, I know its more fun to do origami/poke friends e.t.c. but at the very least, these steps avoid making you look lazy and prevent your time in school from being wasted.

Hope that helps^_^.

[color=darkgreen][size=1]

I've mastered the art of concealed sleeping. I suggest it to anyone who becomes board. Slimply open up your text book, put your face downwards, held up by your hands, and pretend your reading. Keep and ear out for words such as "Turn the page." or your own name. I am also able to sleep with my eyes open by rolling them back in my skull, but that's kind of painful when waking up.

If I can't sleep, I usually talk or draw. I draw more often than not when I'm bored. At one point in time, when my teacher was not around, drew a portrait of my friend on the dry erase board, also, I repeatedly leave pictures of [B]Home Star Runner [/B]on the board. In another class, Drama (or as I like to call it, Naptime) I have drawn large scale pictures of [B]Edward Elric, Roy Mustang[/B], and [B]Scar[/B] from[B] FMA [/B]on the dry erase board. They were left up there for sometime.I do the same thing on paper, or on the sides/backs of my worksheets. No one seems to mind.

I also get alot of reading done.[/color][/size]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Metal Dragon
That's a tricky one... a way would be to have a day off and just talk with your friend in class. Either that or finish your work, and then talk with your friends.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Lord Dante']Oh, I don't know. You could always try getting on with, and focusing on your studies?[/quote]
Of course all of us would like to do that, but you can't expect someone to pay full attention for 50 minuits or an hour and a half non stop with a monotonous teacher!!

[size=1][color=slategray]Well, if you have the same type of ceilings as my school does... fling pencils at the ceiling. See if the graphite end sticks to it. This is fun in study halls. Unless you are caught, of course. Then the teachers will make you go get a ladder and get the pencil back or something.

I have three words for you. Rubber. Band. Wars.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Drifting soul']Of course all of us would like to do that, but you can't expect someone to pay full attention for 50 minuits or an hour and a half non stop with a monotonous teacher!![/quote]

[size=1]...

That's kinda the point, ne?

Obviously, if these people were chosen to stand in front of an entire class and speak, they [hopefully] know what they're talking about, and desrve to be listened to.

Unless, of course, you think throwing wads of paper at your neigbor is more important than your academic future. In that case, go right ahead.

If you had something important to say, how would you like it if everyone was discussing ways to drown you out? Hm?

It's really not very nice.[/size]

[quote name='Drifting soul']Of course all of us would like to do that, but you can't expect someone to pay full attention for 50 minuits or an hour and a half non stop with a monotonous teacher!![/quote]
Wake up call: School isn't meant to be fun! It is the only chance you get to pave the way towards your future.

I mean seriously, Try to pay a-******g-tention. Your teacher has a monotonous voice: So what? you still nead to learn what they have to teach. Stop whining and just get on with it.

[font=trebuchet ms]While I'm never bored in guitar class, it is the only class that I can get away with things. The teacher, Mr. Dennis, told us once that there was this kid in one of his classes last year that would draw charicatures of him on the board doing something gross or humorous.

So about a week after he said it, I became that guy's successor. Whenever Mr. Dennis would leave the room I would run up to the board and draw a huge Dennis face with a word bubble nearby that would say something silly. I'd also overexaggerate his hair.

I still don't think he's caught on to who it is yet. But I found it entertaining when I would wirte something, he would read it and leave it alone, then he'd turn away for a while and someone else would sneak up and change what the word bubble said. Especially great ones were when what the Dennis face was saying reflected the song we were playing, and changed before each song. I had "NO METAL RIFFS!" up there, Mr. Dennis saw it and had a laugh and continued on. We were about to play a song called "Sunset Tango," so Chris runs over really fast, erases the metal riffs line, replacing it with "TANGO!" So then we played a song called "Streets of Lorado" and Matt went up and changed the words to "LORADO!" and soforth.

So try something like that if you can get away with it. :)[/font]

When struggling with a class, I found that it was usually a lack of interest in a subject more than a "monotonous teacher" that made me bored. Im [I]guessing[/I] that this teacher teaches a subject you are weak in/have no interest in. If that is the case, this may help:

1. During a lecture, repeat what s/he says (in your head) to yourself. I found this incredibly useful during French lessons (although i still find it useful in other subjects).

2. Hopefully, you do this anyway. However, make sure you TAKE NOTES during the lecture. Chances are that, if you find it boring, you [B]will[/B] forget it. Reading your own notes will be good for refreshing your memory after a lecture (and during revision).

I know it can be tough but these years of your life are important. Pay attention or you will regret it later.

I know about these situations and it is really boring to listen to a monotonous teacher for 40-50 minutes especially if that teacher is very bookish and doesn't give some spice to his/her lectures. this is what i do to relieve time

I find someone to chat with. if that can't happen, i draw stuffs any stuff that comes into my mind but mostly anime characters in my notebook and i have some pictures of them in my bag for me to copy. If still that isn't enough i try to sleep to remaining minutes and when i woke up i look at the clock and the class is at the last ten minutes. If i can't sleep i try to read the next chapters of the book and find something interesting or bring out a different book and read it. If all of these doesn't work for me the only thing i do is be Patience.

Fine, I'm sorry if I pissed anyone off. That was not my intention.
And I actually work my butt off both in lessons and in my own time to get good grades so don't accuse me of not taking school seriously because I do more than most people in my school.
What I meant to say is it's scientifically impossible, for most people, to pay attention 100% of the time, especially over a long period of time. If you give yourself a short break every 20-30 mins then it's easier to concentrate. But my teachers don't do that so it's hard for any of us to write down every single one of our notes but it's not like it's our fault.
I'm not the type of person who shoots spitwads, believe me. I've had enough crap from people at school recently and i'm getting pretty sick of it.

Hmm... what did I do when I was bored in high school? (I don't get bored that much in college because everything is almost hands on or pretty fun in some type of way.)
The only thing I could do was either sleep, draw, or just put up with the boredom. Those were the only choices really. Most of the times I either slept or put up with it though because most of the times if there is a class clown in your class, you can always count on him / her for some excitment. (sp? that word don't look right at all)

When I'm bored around the house..... That's an entirely different story. Seeing that I don't really hangout much anymore. (I'm not a hermit, I just find the places my friends / family want to go rather boring. The mall... been there, done that. The movies.... old news. Go out to eat.... Done that all my life and I am tired of it.) So majority of the times, I either sleep, (possibly the best thing to do when bored) play some game, (which can grow very tiresome at some point) go on the computer, (which can also become tiresome) or go weight train, work on my car. (Trying to fix it up like those cars on Fast and the Furious and such ^^)