OtakuBoards

Tips on shading.

Magus

I think I said it in another thread. That it's been a while since I've last drawn something (3 - 4 years since I've last picked up a pencil) but I'm pretty sure I can still draw. And I'm getting back into it because I'm getting ready for a meeting on Monday (Game Design or Animation... whichever I come to 1st)

Problem is, that all my life, I've never been able to shade. :animesigh My brother always told me to shade where I think the sun wouldn't shine.... I understand all that sun concept and everything, but the problem lies with the shading itself. Let's put it like this, when I shade, I go from side to side, and I have a tendeny to shade too dark. :animeangr Making it look like pure jibberish.

Like I said, it's been years since I've last drawn something, and I go side to side when shading. I think that's the method everyone use or do you like draw where you're going to shade at?

Edit: My avy... I would say I shade like that but it looks nowhere near as good as that.

[color=darkblue][size=1]It's the only thing I'm relatively good at, so I guess I'll throw in my two-cents.

With shading, there are a few things to consider, but none more important than the light source, which you know about already. What most people don't think about other than the general position of the source is how intense the light is. It often helps with colouring as well as shading.

Anyway, when it comes down to shading in general, it's all about pressure. Since you stroke from side to side, I would assume that it might be a little bit harder to do, though. But, it's not impossible.

Try turning your picture lengthways (which would somewhat translate to you shading lengthways as well. It's my weird logic, but it might help.) Start from the edge and only press the pencil down very lightly, stopping where you need to. Then, taking your light source into account, think about where the shadow would be darker (usually near the edge you started shading at). Keep going over that area, applying a little more pressure each time. Eventually, you'll come out with what you call a "gradient"; colour or shading that fades into either a darker or lighter version of itself. You should practice with gradients before you try and use them on actual pictures, though.

I hope that helps in some fashion. ^^;[/color][/size]