OtakuBoards

Summer Jobs

visualkei

Alright so it's that time of the year again. For those of you who are unemployed, you're probably out seeking a job, or secured one already.

As for me, I've been home from college for a little over a week, went to a few interviews, accepted two jobs, and quitted them both before even starting. I haven't worked in many different places, and I've not worked in Sales, either. But I think under these circumstances I probably will.

All the places I'm applying to is slowly dwindling down now, and I was wondering if there are any spots you guys can think of that usually needs people for summer-- fast. Besides the mall. By the way, those stores like American Eagle, Fossil, Buckle, do they usually earn commission or just a wage?

:animesigh

[size=1]Oil change centers.
It gets really busy during the summer.
With the increased temperatures, people become a little more aware of the condition of their vehicle.
Plus the majority of oil changes work on a commision plus hourly wage.[/size]

[size=1]I'm trying to sign up for a [strike]call center for commercizing products[/strike] telemarketer thing, but I keep missing the woman who I have to talk to ¬_¬'

It pays good and the only thing you need is a jolly voice, which I sure hope I have. Everything you need to say is on the screen infront of your face. [/size]

Guest Shrewd_Shawdow
[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]I'm trying to sign up for a [strike]call center for commercizing products[/strike] telemarketer thing, but I keep missing the woman who I have to talk to ¬_¬'

It pays good and the only thing you need is a jolly voice, which I sure hope I have. Everything you need to say is on the screen infront of your face. [/size][/QUOTE]
This summer I am trying to geta job at a place that has tips but if that doesn't work its McDonalds for me. :mad:

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua]I really need a job! I want to go on the school trip to Costa Rica for next March Break, so I really need the money. Plus, how am I supossed to buy me some manga?

Anyways, I thought about it, and I decided maybe I should try to work at a hotel. There's a bunch where I live. Or maybe even a book store and if all fails, I'll work at a grocery store that my sister used to work at. I really don't want to work there because so many people I know from school shop there. Then I'd have to talk to them, because it would be rude not to. Not that I hate anyone or anything...[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Huuu, everyone seems to be doing something intresting over the summer, well I guess everyone has their fun in different ways, For me basicly its electrical programing and robotics construction. Basicly its kind of a two part thing. I make sure little kids don't...blow themselvs up, or cut off a limb, then in return I get to build cool robots...yeah. They will take over the world.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'll most likely be working at the State Fair at the end of summer. Haven't received official notice of my being hired yet, but they won't send those out for a few weeks. Plus, I applied at the beginning of April.

The State Fair, from my experience, is a pretty good way to earn some cash. It'll differ from place to place, but it pays pretty well, considering you're only working for about two weeks.

[COLOR=SeaGreen]As much as I would love to make some extra money, unless I want to baby-sit, mow lawns or do other similar work, I can?t get a job until I turn fourteen. Something that won?t happen until later this month. Most places won?t even accept an application until I actually turn fourteen so I haven?t been able to apply for anything.

At the same time, part of me would rather read and goof off all summer instead of working so I?m not sure if I am going to try and get anything or not. Especially since some of the volunteer stuff that I?m interested in won?t consider you unless you are at least sixteen years old.
[/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I've been ringing up to try and go back to the job I did last Summer, at the local fruit orchard. It's minimum-wage work, but it's out in the open. I don't tan when I go on holiday to the Mediterranean - I just burn - but I tanned last year doing four or five weeks of pruning and picking. Money and a tan, you say? Bargain.

Since it's Summer [b]now[/b] (the weather here in England is currently stupendous) I guess my work this week counts too - setting up all the lights and what have you for the university's Summer Ball, a great big two-day festival-type extravaganza. Today I got paid for sitting lazing in the sunny, grassy quad for seven hours; technically I was turning away members of the public for not having hard hats, but once we closed the gates the job sort of did itself. We weren't complaining.[/FONT]

I was lucky enough to get a summer job on the same field I study (social care). My classmate was kind enough to call [I]me[/I] when she heard that the place she was going to work this summer needed another employee. I went to an interview and they hired me instantly.

So now I'm working as a counsellor/nurse in a service accomodation center for the mentally ill. The job basically includes directing the residents in their daily lives (like cleaning up, following scheduels and taking care of their personal hygiene in some cases) and running errands with them (like going shopping or to medical center).

It's not as hard physically as it is mentally. The people living there have gone through a lot as they've tried to live with their psyche. The residents comprise mostly of schizophrenic, depressed and dementic people, and their illnesses show.

Although it's an important work, I wouldn't do it if it weren't for the money I get from it. I would've settled for less, but I'm extremely happy that I got this job, because I no longer have to live in the poverty of a student.

[B]Miss Anonymous[/B], that's quite an interesting job, and something I'd probably apply for it was actually available. I can't believe you guys have a [I]state[/I] fair. We have small fairs in a nearby city that comes once a year. Each year it seems the fair is getting smaller and smaller, or perhaps I'm just getting bigger. I think the fair is really shrinking. We might have a state fair in my state... but I'm not sure. Do you mind me asking what state do you reside?

[B]Raiyuu[/B], I'm surprised that you talked about your summer job at your local orchard so casually. It seems to me like it's tough work. Do bugs bite you big time out there? Do they pay you by the case/weight of fruit you pick?

[B]Sandy[/B], sounds like you're going to be working at one heck of a place. I don't think I'd mind working at a place like that so much except for the hygiene thing. Is it just bathing and cloting them or even more? I kind of don't understand the concept of that center you're talking about. Do you make trips to the patients' homes and help them, or do they basically live at the center, and you take them out to run their errands?

[QUOTE=visualkei]
[B]Sandy[/B], sounds like you're going to be working at one heck of a place. I don't think I'd mind working at a place like that so much except for the hygiene thing. Is it just bathing and cloting them or even more? I kind of don't understand the concept of that center you're talking about. Do you make trips to the patients' homes and help them, or do they basically live at the center, and you take them out to run their errands?[/QUOTE]

The latter. It's a seven-floor tall building with about 50 appartments. All the residents can walk and take basic care of themselves, it's just a selected few that need guidance in showering and brushing their teeth etc. The high amount of medication they use also has effects on their lives, both good and not-so-good.

I never thought I'd be doing this sort of job either, my studies focus on children and youth (and I've worked in kindergartens before), but this is my fourth week in this job and it's going well. It's been a whole new experience for me, and I'm taking what I can from it - especially the money. ;P

[quote name='visualkei][B]Miss Anonymous[/B], that's quite an interesting job, and something I'd probably apply for it was actually available. I can't believe you guys have a [I]state[/I'] fair. We have small fairs in a nearby city that comes once a year. Each year it seems the fair is getting smaller and smaller, or perhaps I'm just getting bigger. I think the fair is really shrinking. We might have a state fair in my state... but I'm not sure. Do you mind me asking what state do you reside?[/quote]

I live in good ol' Washington State, with crazy drivers, rain, and everythin'. (And no, I didn't mind you're asking.)
Actually, it's quite the stroke of luck that the town I live in hosts the State Fair. We're a pretty big suburb type place; a lot of traffic going through. Otherwise, not much to do.
But man, once the State Fair [i]does[/i] come, boy! People will spend thousands of dollars each year coming to this thing. I'll never get why.

[quote name='visualkei][font=verdana][b]Raiyuu,[/b'] I'm surprised that you talked about your summer job at your local orchard so casually. It seems to me like it's tough work. Do bugs bite you big time out there? Do they pay you by the case/weight of fruit you pick?[/font][/quote][font=trebuchet ms]It's physical labour, sure. But I'm such a computer geek most of the time that it's refreshing to get out in the open air and build up some actual muscle. :animeswea

The only really taxing bit is lifting great big crates of apples on and off the tractor, and I'm a lot better exercised this year, so it should be easier than last summer. Other than that, the job is just repetitive, but you can use the time to talk to the other pickers, listen to music or plot out your next novel. I tend to think of it like meditation - focusing on a menial task, to allow the higher parts of the brain to focus on higher things.

And it pays by the hour. So I guess there isn't much incentive to get loads of work done, but it [b]is[/b] casual, cash-in-hand work, meaning that you can get fired in the blink of an eye if you slack off. No "clear out your desk in two weeks," just "don't come back tomorrow".

Oh, and bugs aren't much of a problem in the UK. We just have to steer clear of the orchard's south end at around eleven am - there's a beehive there because the farmers sell honey as well as fruit, and they tend to swarm at eleven. Get between the swarm and its hive and you're in trouble![/font]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Actually this summer I am taking leave from my job so I won?t be doing a regular paid job. I have been working for the United States Postal Service, but honestly the research they have me doing is rather boring.

I asked for the break since my father nearly died a year and a half ago from a tricky surgery related to kidney cancer. He survived, minus one kidney, but the last year he hasn?t been up to doing much of anything, so I plan on spending my summer getting his overgrown yard back in order. He has a big yard so it?s going to take a lot of work to fix.

The only thing I might do different this summer is apply to work for a different company instead of going back to my current job. There is a company that recently got a deal with Intel to make memory chips for cell phones and other electronic equipment so they will be expanding their plant by 1,300 employees this fall.

I learned about it from one of my friends since her husband is off in Virginia being trained by the company for the change and since they pay a lot better and will pay for college classes so long as it?s technical and related to your job I?m considering taking my friends recommendation to apply to work there. Especially since I was already considering returning to school to further my education. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=SeaGreen]As much as I would love to make some extra money, unless I want to baby-sit, mow lawns or do other similar work, I can?t get a job until I turn fourteen. Something that won?t happen until later this month. Most places won?t even accept an application until I actually turn fourteen so I haven?t been able to apply for anything.

At the same time, part of me would rather read and goof off all summer instead of working so I?m not sure if I am going to try and get anything or not. Especially since some of the volunteer stuff that I?m interested in won?t consider you unless you are at least sixteen years old.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Holy cra-- you're only thirteen? O_o I thought you to be at least seventeen.

But I feel your pain. I turn sixteen in November, which means most of the cool places I could work at (like Rogers Video or EB Games) won't hire me until school has started again. 8w8

For now I'm just going to work at Cineplex Odeon (movie theatre) and work there for the summer and (quite possibly) through Grade Eleven. From what my friend tells me, it won't be too bad.

I'll be applying at EB Games and Rogers regardless, though. Because I know everyone at Rogers (not because I go there a lot, because my brother used to work there) and I just want to give EB a shot because it's my dream part-time job (I'd get a discount on WoW: Burning Crusade!).[/FONT][/COLOR]