Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Otaku is a Japanese (what else?) term derived from an honorific referring to another family's house. Its more current Japanese adaptation comes from an anime obsessed serial killer, but modern Japanese slang has its meaning as any fan over-obsessing on one topic. The female term is otome. Click [B][URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku]here[/URL][/B] for the complete wikipedia entry. It's very fascinating, actually. The meaning has been further adapted by us English-speakers in the Western Hemisphere to mean more specifically anyone who is crazy over anime/manga.
Posted
The definition is a little different for everyone, so I wouldn't say someone who's obsessed with manga/anime and spends all of their time on it but someone who recognizes that they have a love for anime/manga. If you make a point to set aside time to watch anime on a regular basis, I would consider you an otaku.
Posted
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Actually to be truthful with many things. If you ever have a question about something that you cant find in a normal dictionary..

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page]Wikipedia is your friend.[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Actually to be truthful with many things. If you ever have a question about something that you cant find in a normal dictionary..

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page]Wikipedia is your friend.[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I just wanted to point out that Wikipedia isn't always reliable. Anyone can put what they want about a topic. All you have to do is click the 'edit' button and viola you can change the article.[/COLOR]
Posted
Yes, but if you change something in Wikipedia, I (you, editors, readers, or Bob from down the street) can always revert it back to the way it was before. It keeps a history of the edits to prevent malicious entries.

As for "otaku" silver_blade has done a wonderful job at describing the term. I was going to add something, but s/he's covered everything I can think of about the proper definition.

-r2
Posted
[color=darkblue][size=1]Well, since everyone wonderfully chipped in with a response to the much-debated question, there's really no reason to keep this open any longer, is there? ^^[/color][/size]
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...