OtakuBoards

Idea for Art Of OtakuBoards

cancer

[CENTER][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/xliquidousx/OBbanner.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]So, I was thinking a bit earlier, and I had a grand idea. (At least, I thought it grand. I?m not sure if it?s been done before : / ) But anyway, this is my idea: I thought about creating a thread entitled Art Of OtakuBoards. It is intended to be a message-board version of Art of Otaku. It would be a completely free and interactive way for people on here to teach and learn how to draw anime and learn new techniques.

Here?s how it would work: I would start by gathering some interested artists to help me out getting the whole thing initiated by drawing tutorials for certain things and then we would insert all of the text/borders and such. Then we would post it in the actual thread to start the whole thing off. As it goes, we would probably attract more artists to help out, and people could use the thread to ask questions as well or request specific tutorials.

Any ideas for this would be very much appreciated. This is totally open for discussion. This is something that could definitely work and would surely help all interested artists to grow. So tell me what you think and submit your own ideas here. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]The idea is interesting, since I am assuming in this stage it'd be solely a thread here at the Otaku Boards. Correct? At first when I was looking at this it's remarkable similar or Art of Otaku. Which was released a few months ago by OB's base site theOtaku. I had participated and noticed how many artist had to be cut if they did not meet the deadline. The project is kind of like the 'How to draw Manga' but is digital and may be bought through theOtaku from Adam.

There are a few problems I see with this. Mainly making sure you have enough tutorials and having them written properly. IE all details spread and thought through. Also you might need to make sure that all the artist would be available to answer questions about their specific tutorials. possibly cluttering up the thread, they could provide more one on one help through pm.

Also the requesting of specific tutorials might become too demanding on some of the artist. So participating would talk a lot of dedication and you would need some way to make sure they're up to it. If you do go through with this though, I think it might be good to do a FAQ post for each artist. Having the thread mainly tutorial oriented without side commenting. Then as artist are contacted through PM add it to the artist's FAQ post.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]Epsilon, thank you very much for your input. This is the kind of suggestions that will help this thing to work. From what Epsilon said, I think that we could have one thread for each artist; that would balance it out a bit more. And yes, I would only ask dedicated people to be involved in creating tutorials. I would tell them what would be expected, of course.

Yes, it is similar to Art of Otaku, as I mentioned in my first post. Yes, well the tutorials would be posted as they're created. Everything wouldn't be released at the same time. PM's could be used if things start getting too cluttered. Or maybe there could be a separate request thread. Who knows, maybe we could even get our own section if it becomes popular enough. I think that definitely could happen; maybe in the next version of OtakuBoards. By the way, I agree that the FAQ posts may be a good idea. Keep the ideas coming ^_^[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I like the idea but there's a problem I've always had with the How to Draw Manga books and that's if you're already drawing manga, it messes with your personal style. If, for example, Epsilon and I were each to do a tutorial on the same thing, they would be totally different because we're both settled into our own styles. I think this is a great idea for beginners who have no idea about the basics, but I'm not sure how many of them frequent the Studio to make this a success.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good idea because everyone needs to start somewhere. I'm just wondering how much attention it would bring.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Ezekiel][SIZE=1']I like the idea but there's a problem I've always had with the How to Draw Manga books and that's if you're already drawing manga, it messes with your personal style.[/quote]

Your statement is true, I have had the same problem.
But seeing other people draw, and seeing their way of drawing, it makes it easyer to grasp what looks best.

I mean, people aren't drawing for it to look crappy... right?

[quote]Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good idea because everyone needs to start somewhere. I'm just wondering how much attention it would bring.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I think it would bring alot of attention.
I mean, people say I am not that bad, but I disagree.
I think I suck so bad that I have no return.

But seeing other peoples drawings, it makes me want to draw, which makes me get better.
I am not exactly sure if it has the same affect on people as it does to me, but having people draw and explain, and others ask questions and learn, just sounds like a great idea.

I'm all for it.

It would greatly benifet me.

Thanks for your time,

David

[QUOTE=cancer][COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]Epsilon, thank you very much for your input. This is the kind of suggestions that will help this thing to work. From what Epsilon said, I think that we could have one thread for each artist; that would balance it out a bit more. And yes, I would only ask dedicated people to be involved in creating tutorials. I would tell them what would be expected, of course.

Yes, it is similar to Art of Otaku, as I mentioned in my first post. Yes, well the tutorials would be posted as they're created. Everything wouldn't be released at the same time. PM's could be used if things start getting too cluttered. Or maybe there could be a separate request thread. Who knows, maybe we could even get our own section if it becomes popular enough. I think that definitely could happen; maybe in the next version of OtakuBoards. By the way, I agree that the FAQ posts may be a good idea. Keep the ideas coming ^_^[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Assuming you have one thread for each artist, the forum would become extremely cluttered. Furthermore, if people were to request "______, please write tutorial on shading!" it would sort of exclude other artists if that one got all the requests.

This reminds me of my Graphics Club Class Time idea, but there wasn't much participation and it died. There was only one thread, and one person would request a tutorial, and anyone could help out. Just an idea to toss around in your head.

If this idea happens to get an extreme amount of traffic and the Art Studio cries out [i]en masse[/i] for more and more tutorials, I don't think there'd be a problem creating a sub-forum for tutorials. Keep in mind that this idea would be in the far future, if and only if there is a burst of activity that sustains itself.[/size]

[QUOTE]I like the idea but there's a problem I've always had with the How to Draw Manga books and that's if you're already drawing manga, it messes with your personal style.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]I understand what you're thinking about style, but the point of this tutorial would be to teach people the basic fundamentals of how to construct a drawing, mainly. One thing that I've noticed about style is that your own personal style always stands out in your work. "Messing with your style" as you say would not be a problem. Practicing the fundamentals of drawing would not negatively affect your style. Style is something that you can't "mess with."[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE]I'm all for it.

It would greatly benifet me.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]You, Hanabishi, are the type of artist that this tutorial thread would be dedicated to serving in the big picture. It would be created to benefit those who need guidance or knowledge of the fundamentals of drawing anime. Experienced artists would not benefit so much.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Assuming you have one thread for each artist, the forum would become extremely cluttered. Furthermore, if people were to request "______, please write tutorial on shading!" it would sort of exclude other artists if that one got all the requests.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]When I say one thread for each artist, I mean that each artist may have his own version of a tutorial. Take a look at Art Of Otaku for reference to what I mean. Yes, it may become cluttered. That's something we'd just have to find out. It's really hard to tell how cluttered things would get or how much attention this would bring. Of course, this would be something in the distant future. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

I'd be willing to help out XD Though I helped with Art of Otaku, so maybe you'd like someone else ^^;;

I think it's interesting to see how different people use different techniques anyway... Everyone seems to be saying looking at How To things messes with your personal style, but you don't have to follow tutorials -exactlly- ... I always used them to help me with things I didn't quite understand ^^ and once I figured out how to do it from the tutorial, I could work on applying my own style to it.

Maybe instead of doing "this is how to draw an anime style head" sort of things, maybe you could do tutorials on things like clothing, or fabric (personally, I get people asking me questions about clothing and wrinkles a lot ^^; ) ... Things like that? So maybe it won't seem to people like the tutorials are drilling them to draw things THIS way, you know what I mean?

[QUOTE]I'd be willing to help out XD Though I helped with Art of Otaku, so maybe you'd like someone else[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]Artists that helped with the original Art of Otaku, such as you, would be more than welcome to help with this tutorial. I would love to have your assistance GTK. Yes, fabric tutorials would be included of course. It would still include tutorials for basic body structure though, because some people need to see the fundamentals. I want to reach out to all levels of learning artists: beginners, novices, and somewhat experienced. There's always something new to learn. Always a new technique to pick up. ^_^ Eventually, GTK, I will contact you about starting this tutorial.

Also, if you would like to help with this tutorial, please fill out the following form and post it in this thread:

OB username:

Date you could begin working on tutorial:

E-mail/Messenger: (if you don't want to post this, you can PM me)

Preferences: is there a specific thing that you draw better than anything else? any details I need to know? If so, list it here.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]OB username:[/B] Ezekiel

[B]Date you could begin working on tutorial:[/B] Any time after the 21st of June, my finals are on until then so I won't have time.

[B]E-mail/Messenger:[/B]
E-Mail- [email][email protected][/email] (I'm on MSN almost every day and certainly every weekend)
AIM- sabbath midnight

[B]Preferences:[/B] I...have no idea what I'm best at. I guess I'm better at drawing boys than girls and I've been told I'm pretty good with hands. Apart from that, I'unno.

Here's a link to my deviantART site, if you want to check whether or not I'll be suitable: [URL=http://imi-kagami.deviantart.com/]devART link[/URL]

Hope I can help.[/SIZE]

OB username: Han ki-tae

Date you could begin working on tutorial: now, but cant promise to be to quick on the responses. got work church , a job and an investment to take care of, but would love to help.

E-mail/Messenger: [email][email protected][/email]

no AIM

Preferences: Like to draw hair a lot and eyes. faces are what I'm stronger at.

think it's a great idea. even though u have ur own personal style, to learn new ways of doing things and trying them out and them figuring out how is that going to work with your own style is what makes is great.

i posted here on OB

[URL=http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20582]hands[/URL]

[URL=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=47806]my portifolio[/URL]

and

[URL=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=53499]draw my character[/URL]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]Oh yes, I would like to add something to sign-ups for these positions. It would help if you could link me to a site that shows some of your work, or just post a few things, so that I might see your capability. I need to see that you have a basic knowledge of drawing mainly, and a suitable line quality. Please, no "imitation art." Only original work, thank you.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='cancer][SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]Oh yes, I would like to add something to sign-ups for these positions. It would help if you could link me to a site that shows some of your work, or just post a few things, so that I might see your capability. I need to see that you have a basic knowledge of drawing mainly, and a suitable line quality. Please, no "imitation art." Only original work, thank you.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]

Alright Cancer, I have one question.

How would we make a tutorial?
I would like to sign up, but I don't think I have what it takes to make a tutorial.
I'll draw you some later if I must - And I will- because I want this :)

Please, answer that question!

Thanks for everything,

David

OB username: GTK

Date you could begin working on tutorial: anytime XD I have no life, really *laughs* plus I'm done with classes for the semester (but I usually work on Tuesdays and Saturdays XD )

E-mail/Messenger:
PMed you this info ^^;

Preferences:
Mostly I like drawing pretty boys XD *laughs* and weird costumes, mostly inspired by Japanese fashion cause I'm lame like that.

websites -

personal - (contains more finished art)
[url]http://redvoid.com/[/url]

My O- (mostly unfinished work and sketches, and some random stuff)
[url]http://www.myotaku.com/users/gtk/[/url]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]All right, if you wish to help with this tutorial and you have not signed up yet, you'd better get busy. I am closing sign-ups for help on June 15th. That is for the basic tutorial help, anyway. I will still accept people for special tutorials, such as inking tutorials, or hand tutorials: things like that. But in order to have your own thread for a tutorial, you will need to be one of the artists that I accept before the 15th.
Around June 16th I will be sending details of what to do for the tutorial to those artists that I have not yet discussed it with. I'm hoping to have the Art Of OtakuBoards's actual threads up by late August. Thank you.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I like the idea, and it's always good to teach people how to draw. But tutorials are hard to do because of differences in style. Also I'am a firm believer in that people should train themselves traditionaly first, before taking on Anime/Manga styles.

But I would def be interested in doing some tuts! XD

[color=dimgray][size=1]

Hope I'm not being pompous and presumptuous for replying to this...

OB username: The Boss

Date you could begin working on tutorial: Whenever...

AIM- DoubleBDaigo

Preferences: Character Design, General body posing, faces, masculine characters, emotion in the face and body.

I have a [b]deviantART[/b] link in my sig, though it's fairly new. I have a thread here at the OBs with my art in it aswell.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]bluemarble, I understand where you're coming from. I also believe you should learn to draw before learning to draw anime. I am doing this, however, to show people mainly how to draw anime. I have really been considering putting up a traditional drawing tutorial also. I think I'm going to. It will show you how to draw traditionally instead of just drawing anime; it will have its own thread most likely and will come later on in the year. So be on the lookout. Also, bluemarble, you need to fill out the information if you want to be signed up. Thank you.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

OB username: Blue Marble

Date you could begin working on tutorial: Whenever, as long as it doesn't interfere with WoW, jkjk!

AIM- theb0snian

Preferences: Not to sound full of my self but I can pretty much do a tut on anything, well not painty style coloring...

[URL=http://comixink.deviantart.com]devArt Page[/URL]. That's where all my little artwork is.

[quote name='cancer][COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]bluemarble, I understand where you're coming from. I also believe you should learn to draw before learning to draw anime. I am doing this, however, to show people mainly how to draw anime. I have really been considering putting up a traditional drawing tutorial also. I think I'm going to. It will show you how to draw traditionally instead of just drawing anime; it will have its own thread most likely and will come later on in the year. [/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

Agreeing with what you guys said... though, for drawing anime and manga, I tell this to everyone who asks XD;;; Taking classes on figure drawing totally helps tons... cause, I mean, you can't draw stylized people without drawing normal people first (and your prof will hate it if you even make the people look vaguely anime XD;; I used to get crap about it all the time, but I'm advanced enough now that no one seems to care *laughs*)
Gesture drawing helps tons to. I was told that when you apply to work for disney, all they wanna see are gesture drawings ^^;; so I guess it's sort of the same thing, ne?

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]I advise doing gesture drawings (about fifty a day), and about four contour drawings a day (slow, outline drawings that you do by looking not at the paper, but at the object). These really help a lot. Also, draw real people and still-lifes, and study human anatomy. To draw something well, you need to understand its form. I'm thinking of including some specific tutorials for traditional drawing later on. I won't really have time to work on the tutorial much until July, so I won't expect anyone else to begin until then. Of course, you are welcome to if you want. I suggest that everyone draw a tutorial for front head, profile head, 3/4 head, back head, front body, side body, back body, and a complete picture step by step. [/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][b]EDIT:[/b][/COLOR]

Okay, the deadline is over for sign ups for this thing.

[B][SIZE=4]ART OF OTAKUBOARDS IS NOW IN PROGRESS[/SIZE][/B]

Following is a list of all the artists involved in the project:

cancer
GTK
bluemarble
The Boss
Ezekiel
han ki-tae

Following is a list of what I suggest to be included in the basic tutorials. Do all of the following that you think you are capable of:

Front Head
Profile Head
3/4 Turn Head
Back Head
Front Body
Profile Body
¾ Turn Body
Back Body
Complete Picture

To create a tutorial, you draw the first step, scan it, add the second step, scan that, and so on until the picture is completed. You should send the pictures in an e-mail numbered according to the steps. The text should be sent in a separate document. The deadline to complete all of your basic tutorials is August 20th. That should be ample time. If you have any questions please message me. Thanks.

[size=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]cancer, you've been around long enough to know not to double post. If you really need to add something in, but also need to bump the thread, please copy the content, delete the post, and post it again with the new information added in.

[b]- Retribution[/b][/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='cancer][SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]I advise doing gesture drawings (about fifty a day), and about four contour drawings a day (slow, outline drawings that you do by looking not at the paper, but at the object). These really help a lot. Also, draw real people and still-lifes, and study human anatomy.[/COLOR'] [/SIZE][/quote]
[size=1]Well, you didn't explain gesture drawings to those who haven't taken any formal art classes. A gesture drawing is a quick sketching of something to express motion, action, or a pose. They're basically studies of an object you do before entering into the actual drawing so that you have a feel for how the subject is shaped.

I was also under the assumption that contour drawings were slow drawings that you do looking at something (and never looking at your paper) with great detail (the wrinkles on your hand) where the definition of the shape is not important. You could do a contour drawing of your hand, for instance, but it should NOT look like a hand when you're done, rather an arrangement of random lines.

Sorry if I cluttered up the topic with my post, I was just looking to clarify some of the terms you tossed out there as if they were common knowledge.[/size]

Okay, I'm going to contact each of the artists that are working on this project within the next week and make sure that they know what to do. And thanks, Retribution, for your information regarding gesture and contour drawing. Remember, the deadline for this is mid-August. Thanks.